Finished Werewolf XXVII: Revelation

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did you guys think about the Pandora's Box timer? After Ice Espeon's game was met with delay after delay after delay, we wanted to build a safeguard into the game so that that couldn't happen. I think it was bippa's idea to have it count up instead of down. If it starts at a number and counts down, you can make a pretty safe guess that it blows up at zero, but if it starts at zero... who knows when it could end? Even from the beginning, it gave the town a little sense of urgency and it definitely did during the last two days where I think we had the fastest back-to-back lynch in Werewolf history, lol. (If you didn't catch it from the Pandora's Box FAQ, the timer ended at 80.)
I really enjoyed it to be honest. Despite it not doing much in the beginning, I really do think that it quickened up those slow last days which are really quite a pain when everyone is inactive.

If you read the older graveyard posts, you will notice that I deliberately did not share the graveyard link to anyone who was modkilled. I feel that if your activity is so bad that you have to be modkilled, then you clearly are not active enough to hang out and chat in the graveyard. Does anyone else agree with this sentiment, or am I alone on this one?
I also agree with this one. In the end, being modkilled really doesn't affect you, so this as a bit of consequence was fine for me.

And speaking of the graveyard, I made it a point to not just spill all the game's secrets. I didn't post who the scum were, or even what roles were in play. I did trickle out information day by day, but at no point was a mass reveal made. The entire game, the only people that knew Cypher was a Star Witness were me, him, and bippa. I think it was Camoclone in a recent graveyard topic who said that we as players often make rash judgments about the decisions some people make, i.e. "omg he is soooo obviously scum why isn't he lynched yet". But people in the graveyard often forget that they have information the town doesn't - the identities of all the scum. So I decided that I'd continue to keep the graveyard in the dark and let them formulate their own ideas. I think it worked out pretty well - it was fun, as a host, to see it go on, almost like a second game that involved like half a dozen people thanks to modkills. I would recommend bbninjas and Camoclone give it a try for their game.
Sounds good to me! I along with Camo have noticed that you notice scum play more when you know they are scum, so being deprived of information was actually quite nice.

Overall, very nice game! I'm really disappointed that there was lots of modkills again, and hope Camo and I will not be required to do that in this next game. Honestly, I don't get why it is so difficult to [skimread] and post something every 24 hours, especially if you're on the forums often in the first place .___.

GG everyone, that was fun! (Too bad that I died sooo early... I ended up abandoning this thread until the near-end of the game :p)

I like the suspense in the dead chat thing, I found it fun looking at other people speculate as well (coz I gave up on the game after I died, and didn't contribute in the graveyard) and the modkilling is so annoying... (@bbninjas can u plz stress that bit about ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME in SIZE 7 font in the Alpha Omega rules?)

Also, let's all give a huge round of applause to PMJ for their AMAZING hosting in this game, we need to give this 'un a million dollars and a Platinum PMJ Award!

The timer was a pretty nifty mechanic; at the very least, it maintained SOME sort of actvity, and had it not been for the whole Jeremy business, it wouldn't have troubled us at all. It's not something I'm prepared to see every game. mainly due to the ever-increasing inactivity; the indie may be inactive and get modkilled, or the timer doesn't scare people enough to avoid it ticking, resulting in a player who may have as well died D1 and did nothing to affect the game winning out of the blue. Perhaps with some different sort of win condition for the player(s) involved, it's gonna become better. But overall, I think it served its purpose pretty well this game.

@Vom @Celever @Squirtle Squad @Athena @Camoclone @bbninjas @GM DracLord @Jeremy1026 @Luispipe8 @Mr.Muffin @TwistedTurtwig @scattered mind @Yeowie @Chaos Jackal @Keeper of Night @Cypher333 @steffenka @thegrovylekid @Luctini27 @Ice Espeon @Cinesra @BlaineistheBest

obligatory tag of all players with a link to the postgame

The timer was a pretty nifty mechanic; at the very least, it maintained SOME sort of actvity, and had it not been for the whole Jeremy business, it wouldn't have troubled us at all. It's not something I'm prepared to see every game. mainly due to the ever-increasing inactivity; the indie may be inactive and get modkilled, or the timer doesn't scare people enough to avoid it ticking, resulting in a player who may have as well died D1 and did nothing to affect the game winning out of the blue. Perhaps with some different sort of win condition for the player(s) involved, it's gonna become better. But overall, I think it served its purpose pretty well this game.

I'm not so sure that the timer wouldn't have caused any problems. Keep in mind that five players were plucked from the game (though their deaths still contributed to the timer). What I means is that had they still been alive, posting, and being good players, it's possible that the timer still could have been cause for alarm. Would it have gotten to 79? Probably not. Late sixties to early 70s, sure.

People winning with 0 effort is the reason why the roles of people who are modkilled are changed to 'survive until the end of the game'. In the indie's case, I can't just say welp no more timer guys, post at your leisure.

It was meant to be a unique mechanic not seen in a Werewolf game, not the new standard for moderation. Even with the timer keeping people on track, I still handed out modkills because you can't just leave these living corpses lying around and not contributing. It's hugely frustrating to lynch an inactive after four days of discussion and he's Generic Town Role 3 and not king scum.

"Drac hit huge on this ability, getting an aura almost every time he used it."

Thats the unlucky part if you ask me. My only luck was hitting TT. I couldn't really reveal anything in the KoN situation. Got the bad luck of investigating dying people (bbninjas n Muffin). I think it would been better for me if I been hitting the normal townies or atleast not hitting people that died just as I know them.

I didn't expect for my life to have a bunch of school stuff happen on the first week. Sorry team for dropping on you guys. I thought I could actually post something to evade mod kill, but because of the timer I was unable to post.

I thought the timer added too much complicity into the game. The town failed for the first couple of days because everyone was rushing to finish before the clock.

I actually really enjoyed the timer mechanism. It was a neat twist on the mechanics of the standard Pokebeach game, and provided a fresh sense of urgency that's not always felt otherwise. Another smaller change I particularly enjoyed was the concept of roles evolving and devolving. While not every game has a timer, the mechanic can easily be adopted for abilities changing based on Day and Night phases, instead of the clunky old system of abilties being unlocked or ending at a certain time.

The timer was my idea for the game and was the only game mechanic I wanted to see in the game. I saw it used on another site and thought the idea was brilliant. I had planned to make it a lot more complicated than it ended up being, but PMJ wisely told me to dumb it down a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back