Help The "What Deck Should I Play?" Thread

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker
Also, how do you put all these disparate elements together? This looks like it would be too complex. I'm a very uncreative person who needs a sample decklist in order to build a deck and who constantly looks to others to help improve things.

Easy answer is that you don't. I was just compiling a simple list for you of all the things that COULD be used. If you want a budget variety, you could probably go with something like this for your standard line-up...

4-4 Raichu XY
3-2-1 Ninetales PRC (1 copy is from Dragons Exalted)
3-3 Slurpuff PHF
2 Exeggcute PLF
1 Mr Mime PLF
1 Jirachi-EX

That should get you started on a version that doesn't play Shaymin-EX. I've never tested Slurpuff to see how good it actually is in this deck, so results may vary.

RunningWithScizors

Aspiring Trainer
You wouldn't put all of those cards in one list all though you could. I like the Raichu/ Crobat/ Kecleon/ Ninetails deck list. In that list your Main attacker is Raichu but you could also run Fire energy and attack with nintails if you needed to, You could also attack with Kecleon as a Mewtwo EX counter and to use emerald break. Crobat is a good addition in any deck where you are trying to build a large bench. It is good because it allows you to build up Raichu's circle circuit as well as place extra damage counters on the board to help you set up another KO for the next turn.

So, how much of each goes into that? That sounds like so many Pokemon, it make so little room for T/S/S and energy. Like I said, a decklist would be helpful, especially one without Shaymin.

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer
4-4 Raichu
3-3-3 Crobat
2 Keclecon
2-2 Ninetails
Could be a start for you, it just depends on what Pokémon you chose to pair with Raichu. The list that GadgetJax mentioned would work just as well but It would have a different strategy. The Shaymin EX would help you with drawing more cards but if you wanted you could make the deck be more supporter based and run higher counts of cards like Professor Juniper/Sycamore, as well a Professor Birches Observations, especially Colress. Or you could make the deck more item based and use cards like Trainers Mail/ Battle Compressor/ VS seeker/ and Acro bike to draw through the deck. It really depends on how you like to play and what deck list works the best for you.

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer
The dragons exalted ninetails was reprinted as a black white black star promo that is currently legal.

FoxKin45

Centipede / Eyepatch
Hey PokeBeach! I recently had a drive to get back into competitive TCG and have been doing a lot of research on what decks I want to play and what decks I think will strive in the next format. They key thing here is to look out for a deck that will fit a predicted Xy-On format and then if it turns our to be LTR-On I can buy old techs. I also want said decks to hopefully be competitive throughout the entire season, but seeing as the nature of tcgs makes it hard, I just dont want to spend 200-300$ on a deck and have it flop immediately. So here is my list.

1. Seismitoad Ex / Bats
2. MegaMan / Tools (Head Ringer, Muscle Band, Eco Arm from Bandit Ring)
3. M Ttar / Variants (From Bandit Ring, really like this card. Has potential with Bats or the Celebi from BR)

So these are the three decks I have found to enjoy playing, and see serious potential in. However with two of the decks I need to wait for the release of Bandit Ring to make them really shine, and without a US release date its hard to know when we will get the set. Is it predicted Bandit Ring will come before or after the season start? I personally find the M TTar / Variants to look really fun. However I view MegaMan / Tools as a VERY strong deck in the next format. With the loss of LTC Toad/Bats has really lost a lot of its pressure on top of losing Laser/Banks no matter the format rotation, I find Toad to be a better tech. I love him as a main deck though and have been playing it the most due to actually being able to play it. Any and all input will be taken into consideration so thank you in advance.

Mora

Don't Panic
I've been a big fan of Manectric since it was released. I think both it and its Mega are solid cards that will stay relevant in the format. So short answer is Mega Man.

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer
I don't know when it was but I do know that the card was reprinted and is legal to use in standard format. It was reprinted as Black White Black star promo #66.

RunningWithScizors

Aspiring Trainer
Well, right now I am at my wit's end. I'm not looking for anything fast or aggressive, I'm just looking for any competitive deck at all that doesn't run Shaymin. Is there such a thing that will survive the rotation?

Juliet

Aspiring Trainer
I currently play three decks, and I'm always looking for more ideas and more things to play. I like disruption decks and things that can hit hard and fast. I play an odd combo of Seismitoad EX and Keldeo EX that I love, but that's getting rotated; Primal Groudon, which is fun and enjoyable but a little slow for my tastes; and MLatios/Bats, which is okay but just not enough damage to beat the current metagame. Currently, some cards I'm interested in using would be both Bannette from ROS, Pyroar, and Raichu, and I always love me some Toad and some Bats, but I'm not sure what to pair with any of those cards to come up with a solid deck list for next season.

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod
Well, right now I am at my wit's end. I'm not looking for anything fast or aggressive, I'm just looking for any competitive deck at all that doesn't run Shaymin. Is there such a thing that will survive the rotation?

Hmmmm. I would go with Night March for now. The only things it looses after rotation are Mew EX and Silver Bangle.

I've played Toad the entire season, and loved it. I currently have a ToadbatsShaymin deck built as my main, and it's amazing. However, I also play Night March as a Tier 2 good/fun deck, and I've become very wary of it's weaknesses and strengths. Lately, I've seen a lot of people criticizing Night March for next season. I currently have made the deck XY-on, with 4 revive, and I am waiting for AOR Vespiquen to be released. But i'm not entirely sure if the deck is still a good play next year.

Should I drop the deck, or stay and wait for Ancient Origins?

-Emskas

I would keep it around as I feel that it will still be viable. Vespiquen AOR definitely helps it.

I currently play three decks, and I'm always looking for more ideas and more things to play. I like disruption decks and things that can hit hard and fast. I play an odd combo of Seismitoad EX and Keldeo EX that I love, but that's getting rotated; Primal Groudon, which is fun and enjoyable but a little slow for my tastes; and MLatios/Bats, which is okay but just not enough damage to beat the current metagame. Currently, some cards I'm interested in using would be both Bannette from ROS, Pyroar, and Raichu, and I always love me some Toad and some Bats, but I'm not sure what to pair with any of those cards to come up with a solid deck list for next season.

Try Manectric/Bats. I don't have much experience with the deck, but it sounds right up your alley.

Ivysaurman

Undercover Ivysaur
I'm looking for a deck for regionals, any suggestions? I prefer lock/control decks over fast aggressive ones, but I don't like Seismitoad's 30 base damage output. I'm thinking Giratina/Vileplume, but does anybody have any other ideas? (I don't want to play exeggutor for the same reason I don't want to play toad, but if there's nothing better, I guess I could)

SilverSilent

Dem Eeveelutions
I'm looking for a deck for regionals, any suggestions? I prefer lock/control decks over fast aggressive ones, but I don't like Seismitoad's 30 base damage output. I'm thinking Giratina/Vileplume, but does anybody have any other ideas? (I don't want to play exeggutor for the same reason I don't want to play toad, but if there's nothing better, I guess I could)

As far as current lock decks, Seismitoad is the biggest thing out there in the standard format until AOR is used in tournaments (which should be from the start.) Vileplume AOR is going to be a big lock deck mixed with Ariados and Giant Plant Forest. It quickly gets Vileplume out and you simply just evolve Ariados to poison the opponent. If you wan to run EX's with it I'd suggest running Septile EX. It's two energy for 150 if you have poisoned the opposing Pokémon.

MiIotic

Aspiring Trainer
Hey PokeBeach!

Just getting into the TCG scene and I currently have 2 Shaymin EX and 2 Hoopa EX, what deck should I build around them? I like water and dragon Pokémon (Is Regice any good?) and my friend is playing a Primal Groudon / Machamp deck, so I don't think a Manetric deck is a good idea. I was also considering Rayquasa EX? Let me know! I'm open to several suggestions!

griffin

Aspiring Trainer
I need some help but haven't gotten any yet and don't have a lot of time to decide on a deck. I wanted to do a M Gallade/Gourgeist. My in progress deck is listed on a forum I created. I have until September 4th so any help would be really appreciated.
P.S I'm very new (haven't played competitively at all) to TCG so please try to be understanding if I ask a lot of noobish questions, but I think I have most of the rules down.

batPokemonMan

Aspiring Trainer
Hello,

I am getting back into the game after a few month break. Realizing that the game has shifted with the new rotation and new sets i know nothing about. I have played several decks and am fairly experienced in the game.

Decks i have used.
Dialga/Bronzong
Lando/Bats
Yveltal/Bats
Fighting big basics
Gengar/Trevenant
the list goes on.

Any suggestions for decks for this new rotation? I feel like the game has changed a lot in the few months i stopped.

I really liked the Dialga/Bronzong had a lot of success with that deck. is there a post rotation list that keeps it pretty competitive. I also loved playing bat variants although it was less consistent it was fun. I thought about a M Tyranitar bats deck. Would that be any good?

Last edited:

SilverSilent

Dem Eeveelutions
Hello,

I am getting back into the game after a few month break. Realizing that the game has shifted with the new rotation and new sets i know nothing about. I have played several decks and am fairly experienced in the game.

Decks i have used.
Dialga/Bronzong
Lando/Bats
Yveltal/Bats
Fighting big basics
Gengar/Trevenant
the list goes on.

Any suggestions for decks for this new rotation? I feel like the game has changed a lot in the few months i stopped.

I really liked the Dialga/Bronzong had a lot of success with that deck. is there a post rotation list that keeps it pretty competitive. I also loved playing bat variants although it was less consistent it was fun. I thought about a M Tyranitar bats deck. Would that be any good?

So as you know, the current Standard is X/Y onward and Expanded is Black and White - Ancient Origins. With this said, there are a few ideas you could make for a deck that I've tested as far as standard.

1. Vespiquen is more than likely the current T1 heavy hitter as it has not only weakness coverage from Eeveelutions, but Giant Plant Forest which makes it a force to be reckoned with.
2. Toad is losing a lot of steam, but it won't be out of the format just yet I believe, still clinging dearly to Bats.
3. M.Raquaza is a fast paced deck that revolves around Sky Field, basically having your bench filled to do massive damage. Raichu is usually tech'ed with it.
4. Vileplume variants are surely going to be around with item lock being a nuisance, M.Grovyle is a good combo for this deck.
5. Metal variant's will still be around I believe due to the lack of fire decks being around right now so look forward to that.
6. Dragon decks are pretty fun, they usually are built with Reshiram and Double Dragon Energy.

There are only a few idea's for building a deck and what I've messed around with. If you'd like some help building one of these I'd be more than happy to help.

xYusuke

Aspiring Trainer
Hi Pokebeach o/

I was playing another TCG, but because of some problems I had to quit. So, now I'm thinking to play Pokemon.(IRL)
I don't have any cards, but I do have money enough to buy at least the skeleton of top tier decks.
Searching on the internet I saw that the standard format is on rotation and beacause of that there are a lot of speculation about the new metagame. Some players are saying that M Sceptile(or Sceptile) is a tier 1 deck, others M Tyranitar is better, then someone say that Giratina Ex deck is/will be a Tier 1 and then other people come and say that the deck is very weak against some cards...
So I ask for the help of you guys: "What are the good decks in standard and what are their tiers?" If possible I would like to you list all of them, I know that I'm asking for too much, but can you help this new player here?

Obs.: I searched on the Pokebeach forums, but the tiers and decks are differents from others sites.

Thank you all and sorry for bad english