Next Destinies Shiftry Banned!

Why are they just banning this now shouldn't they have done that when next destinies first released

Because expanded wasn't a thing then...

We can't really blame Pokemon for this imo. When Shiftry came out in NEX it wasn't viable. When Pokemon decided to introduce expanded play it started to gain attention along with FGP stadium. It is obvious that when expanded play was introduced, there were going to be some flaws. Since this is the beginning of expanded play we should take it with a grain of salt.

It wasn't as exploitable as it is now, with Broken Vine Space... ops, Forest of Giant Plants.
Back them, you couldn't pull a Shiftry in T1 and shuffle your opponent pokemon away without them even drawing their first card.

Then just ban Forest of giant plants

just watch forretress get banned next.

Hmm.. I honestly just feel like they should set up a ban-list and take out cards that might be problematic all in one sweep.

Hmm.. I honestly just feel like they should set up a ban-list and take out cards that might be problematic all in one sweep.

I feel like instead of doing that pokemon should just stick to standard format because pokemon has proved it cant handle expanded with so many donk deck I think including shiftry there are 4 donk deck in format no including shiftry there a 3 at least off of the top of my head there might be more.

Looks like banning is a thing now in the Pokemon Trading Card Game. They had a good run.

Thank Arceus for that. I was starting to worry we'd have a 'Lightsworn' situation going on with that card.

The thing I like is they are giving reasons for the ban while yugioh doesn't. I do hope more bans come soon because this means future cards will hopefully be more balance.

We can't really blame Pokemon for this imo.

Yes. Yes we can. They make this game. People are giving Forest of Giant Plants nicknames like "Broken Vine Space" because this isn't a new mechanic; this is a Type specific version of the previous Stadium card Broken Time-Space. While the designers could not specifically know that Shiftry (DEX) could one day be overpowered they should (and probably did) know that if a future card made it hypothetically reliable to get off the effect first turn (either by spamming it and going with the odds or by improving the odds of getting a single Shiftry into play), we'd have an issue.

Just looking at Forest of Giant Plants this mess is just an example of what one should have expected; semi-obscure older cards comboing with the new stuff when we are already concerned about the new stuff. I mean we just got a method to perform a T1 Item lock from the Bench in a format where we have cards like Professor Sycamore, Ultra Ball and Shaymin-EX (ROS). We need the game's pace to ease back quite a bit and instead? Pedal to the metal!

I do worry about "aggressive bans" because while they are needed, they also are unlikely to be properly applied. For example, this Shiftry deck needs Forest of Giant Plants to work. Even just issuing an erratum so that you have to also Evolve into a Grass-Type (and not just from a Grass-Type) would have shut it down. Other troublesome decks just need Forest of Giant Plants gone. Other problem decks in general need cards like Shaymin-EX (ROS) and Professor Sycamore gone. It... actually can get really complex if we keep naming specific cards. The main thing is that all forms of acceleration (draw, search, Energy, Evolution, etc.) are out of control and the-powers-that-be really need a reset.

I dont think the deck is a problem, people are overreacting way too much. As far as I know, both Shiftry and First Ticket are legal in Japan and its no big deal.

I do think, though, that this ban is better for the overall health of the game. Nobody wants to watch Shiftry players flip 10 times and deciding whether they can win or not during the first turn.

I'm really hoping they don't ban Forretress too, as some people are speculating. It's a decent card when not abused, and only now can it be abused by such a stupid game mechanic.

...why?

The card was printed 3 years ago. How about banning the more dangerous card, Forest of Giant Plants? Or not making Regionals BW on? Or better yet, how about not printing broken as hell cards?

Why didn't they just reprint Broken Time-Space (Giratina is even in the same set lol)? That way, all types could abuse the mess up, and if things got completely out of control, instead of banning an old card, they could nerf/errata/just ban the new card...

Why didn't they just reprint Broken Time-Space (Giratina is even in the same set lol)? That way, all types could abuse the mess up, and if things got completely out of control, instead of banning an old card, they could nerf/errata/just ban the new card...

because so many more donk decks would happen. aka bats.

...why?

The card was printed 3 years ago. How about banning the more dangerous card, Forest of Giant Plants? Or not making Regionals BW on? Or better yet, how about not printing broken as hell cards?
Being printed 3 years ago doesn't make a difference in banning a card. Forest of Giant Plants gave some potential to new stage 2 grass decks. Banning this card only effects(affects?) one deck, banning Forest Of Giant Plants effects/affects many. TO's already announced that Regionals will be expanded so that would be a bad idea for TPCI to change their mind on that.

I wonder if Pokemon TCG Online had anything to do with the quick ban. There has been no expanded tournaments to show results, but PTCGO has been rife with Shiftry, completely souring the expanded format leaving many players unhappy.

Back