Discussion Strategies You Will Miss Post Rotation / XY-On tactics You Are Intrigued By

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
A sad day is due to dawn in the West Coast of the USA in 3 hours: the day of the last of the BW TCG series leaving Standard. For most of the world, that day has already dawned.

^ Knowing that, I have to ask:

What strategies of the BW series from BCR-LTR cards will you miss the most? What strategies in XY-On are you interested in trying out?

For me:

One, the strategies I will miss involve Rush In Keldeo, and also Max Potion shenanigans introduced in XY w/ Aromatisse(but since that involves a BCR-LTR card, it still counts as a BCR-LTR era strategy in my view)...

...and two, I am interested in trying out the Mega Sceptile-EX/Malamar EX mechanic and if I can, either use promo 'Tile, or taking advantage of attack no. 2 of AOR Sceptile-EX at all costs, and using it as a base for the Mega, and utilize everything in my power to attach energies to Malamar w/ a Jagged Saber used to pressure the opponent to flip a coin between turns for sleep w/ a chance of getting tails on the flip and them being unable to attack w/o Trainers or other tactics meant to get the sleeper out of the active...

I'm not posting my list here, as there is already a place for that. But you get the idea of what this topic is about, right?

I'm not worried about the loss of BW stuff since most of what I'll play is Expanded and the Season seems to have Expanded have a bigger presence then ever before with all Regionals, some Cities and League Challenges Expanded.

I'm interested in trying out GiraPlume when I aquire more Giratinas. Another one I want to try is Complete Trainer lock (Vanilluxe and Vileplume).

Since Expanded is now a thing I'm not too worried, but I do gotta say I will miss Hydreigon Toolbox and FluffyChomp for the time being.

For Standard I'm building a M Rayquaza/Reshiram as my rouge deck but I still need a few more Rayquaza's (good thing the EX Tins are coming out), The only other deck I want to build is Giratina/Vileplume.

I'm gonna miss Donphan, being in England expanded isn't something that really happens to us unless you get to day two of nationals.

Nothing, I'm looking forward to new sets like everyone else is, rotation happens every year and I knew that it was going to be x\y on for over a year now so. The only thing that ever changes anything is when a new set comes out, rotation usually doesn't change to much and with expanded being a thing nothing really changes.

Will miss

-Donphan hit and run
-Max potion shenanigans
-Keldeo/Float Stone
-Virbank combos (not including lasers)

Will NOT miss

-Garbodor decks
-N
-Friggin' lasers.

Intrigued by

-Battle compressor: I usually try to make decks that revolve around battle compressor. Even in decks that don't normally take advantage of the discard pile, I'll put in a 1 of just for deck thinning or to dump a supporter for later use.
-Shaymin EX: Best draw engine we've had in a long time. Just being able to ultra ball for this and still play a supporter is huge. Also has great synergy with Battle Compressor/VS Seeker. And it's attack can be useful in a pinch for prize denial or hit and run shenanigans.
-Evolving by means other than rare candy. Wally, the ancient trait, the grass stadium, or even the Maxie and Archie cards. Even though EXes and megas are becoming even more common, this gives stage 2 decks some more options.

I will definitely miss:
  • Garbodor
  • Hypnotoxic Laser
  • Landorus EX
  • N
Looking forward to incorporating different type of Item-locking and Status effects into some new, Standard decks.

Float stone and max potion are re-prints for the next set so....

Back