• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard New Age Donphan (Mienshao / Robo Substitute)

MaD_DoG

Defying physics since 2012
Pokemon: 14
  • 4 Mienfoo (FFI)
  • 4 Mienshao (FFI)
  • 2 Wobbuffett (PHF)
  • 3 Hawlucha (FFI)
  • 1 Bunnelby (PRC)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 35
  • 4 Robo Substitute
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Vs Seeker
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 4 Korrina
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 3 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 Shauna
  • 1 Teammates
  • 3 Fighting Stadium
  • 2 Focus Sash
  • 3 Muscle Band
Energy: 11
  • 5 Fighting Energy
  • 4 Strong Energy
  • 2 Mystery Energy
Strategy:

Hey all! As most of you know our beloved elephant is leaving the standard format. Although I never got to play the deck myself in real life, I liked the concept and am sad to go, but there is a pokemon that was printed in furious fists that does nearly the same thing. Behold Mienshao! Aero turn does 40 damage for one fighting energy and returns Mienshao to the hand. So the strategy is the same as Donphan except its slightly worse because you always have to have another Mienfoo on the bench in order to use Aero turn every turn, but I think that is a fair enough price to pay to bring back this powerful strategy.

Please note that there are no Shaymin EX in here because I want my opponent to have to take all six prizes one at a time and that mystery energy is in here so I can retreat Wobbuffet for free. Any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated and will be considered.

Last edited:
Why does no one use Hitmontop FUF? It's a lot like Donphan and it can take advantage of Level Ball.

As for your deck, you should replace a Korrina with another Ultra Ball. As far as I can tell that's it!

Why does no one use Hitmontop FUF? It's a lot like Donphan and it can take advantage of Level Ball.

As for your deck, you should replace a Korrina with another Ultra Ball. As far as I can tell that's it!

Donphan compared to Hitmontop is a lot better. It was a single energy for a base 40 damage. Adding in Fighting Stadium, Strong Energy, and a Muscle Band, you're now hit 100 against EX Pokémon. Hitmontop requires three energy and would take way to long to charge up and has a mediocre 90 HP, meaning it won't survive an attack at all compared to Donhpan (though it doesn't fare any better). Hitmontop is way to much of an investment.

Also instead of replacing Korrina (which is absolutely required for this deck) they only need 3 Professor Sycamores because of VS Seeker. You want Korrina to be played on your first turn to get as many Pokémon out as possible. Plus this manipulates getting out Robot Substitute early on too if Wobbuffett is not out on the field. My main concern is the heavy use on special energy for Wobbuffett since it can be easily discarded away by things like Enhanced Hammer and Xerostic. Focus Sash is kind of a toss up in my opinion. I think Muscle Band could be better because you'd be doing that 100 damage per turn. Another huge issue is being stuck using High Jump Kick more frequently than Aero simply because of you're opponent using Lysandre either forcing Meinshao up, or forcing your bench up to make Meinshao the only active you have and making you discard a special energy.

I have been having fun with this deck--it is really hard for opponents to take prizes--you wear them down. You need to manage your resources very carefully. The gimmick of this deck is the focus sash, robo substitute and the scoop-ups (and the eco arms too): you can stop the opponent from taking up to 16 prizes!

Pokémon - 11

3 Hawlucha FFI 63
4 Mienfoo FFI 56
4 Mienshao FFI 57

Trainer Cards - 41

4 Fighting Stadium FFI 90
1 Sacred Ash FLF 96
4 Super Scoop Up FFI 100
2 Eco Arm AOR 71
1 Lysandre FLF 90
4 Robo Substitute Team Flare Gear PHF 102
4 Korrina FFI 95
4 Focus Sash FFI 91
1 Teammates PRC 141
1 Head Ringer Team Flare Hyper Gear PHF 97
4 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 134
2 Muscle Band XY 121
3 Professor Sycamore PHF 101
4 VS Seeker PHF 109
2 Level Ball NXD 89

Energy - 8

4 Strong Energy FFI 104
4 Fighting Energy XY 137

Ariados and vileplume stop this deck, and I like the idea of including wobbuffet, but haven't figured how to fit it in yet...

The best bet is to get one strong energy in play (better two), but have it (or them) on your bench, using it only when attacking with meinshao--it can't be hammered away! This exposes it to ace trainer, but haven't run into it much. The bands let you attack EX's for 100/turn. This really puts the pressure on!

2 repeat balls instead of level ball or both.

An idea on how to out play giratina vileplume. 4 things needed, 1 bunnelby, 2-3 enhanced hammers, 2 wobb, 2 hex maniac. Essentially what you would end up doing is using meinshao into wobb to essentially hit for heavy dmg, the turn after you e hammer the double dragon and do the same thing, your still going to take 1-3 prize losses but the whole plan is to eliminate all of the double dragon energy so they can't end up attacking you. I'd say test this out more, this is in the end just theorymon but it does work fairly well in some decks.

Back