I'd Like To Be Competitive if I Could

Nonomiya

Aspiring Trainer
So im returning to this game after.... like 10 years or so... boy have i aged.... only these days i got the job and with it, the cash to finally enter the competitive level. Well thats it for intro for now.

So i already did my research for a bit, but id like to ask the more experienced players about this.... is there any way to survive the competitive level of play with a deck that mains mega charizard, mega lucario, or mega ampharos?... coz i only have got nay as an answer up till now.... if i wanna start playing again after a while, would be awesome to start with my favorites...

And how good do you foresee the upcoming m tyranitar build in the competitive zone?

So im returning to this game after.... like 10 years or so... boy have i aged.... only these days i got the job and with it, the cash to finally enter the competitive level. Well thats it for intro for now.

So i already did my research for a bit, but id like to ask the more experienced players about this.... is there any way to survive the competitive level of play with a deck that mains mega charizard, mega lucario, or mega ampharos?... coz i only have got nay as an answer up till now.... if i wanna start playing again after a while, would be awesome to start with my favorites...

And how good do you foresee the upcoming m tyranitar build in the competitive zone?

Firstly, you must be aware of the upcoming rotations. For 2016, Regionals are going to be Expanded (a new format that is BW-on) while Nationals, Worlds and presumably States will be Standard (KSS-on).

Next, what is your definition of "survive competitive level play"? As in likely get to the Top Cut at tournaments? Or are you thinking "able to bit decks perhaps 50% of the time"? M-Charizard is a pretty mediocre mega (~Tier 4), although can be made work if you can get past its major slowness. M-Lucario is also okay (~Tier 4-5). To be honest, plain Lucario-EX far better than its Mega counterpart (~Tier 2-3), as it is simply easier to set up and is a better hitter, plus doesn't sacrifice an attack to get out. Of the three megas, I personally think M-Ampharos (~Tier 4) will be best, which is the minimum suggestion if you want to get particularly competitive. However, Ampharos is yet to be released, meaning speculation on its performance is pretty much theorymon.

In response to Tyranitar, it is also speculated. You'll probably find this thread interesting, though.

Short answer: No.

Bbninjas did a good job of covering where those decks land in terms of competitive play. If your main priority is to play with your favorite pokemon in tournaments and don't care about winning, then play those decks and enjoy yourself. If you care more about winning and making top cut, I would suggest looking at other alternatives.

Last edited:
@bbninjas already covered some key points regrading the use of Mega Charizard EX and Mega Lucrio EX. Both of these Pokemon have some decent support (e.g., Blacksmith and Korrina, respectively), but the resulting decks would be "slow" (i.e., to setup, recover, building secondary attackers, etc.) compared to others in the format, imo; hence, not very competitive.

On the other hand, Mega Ampharos EX has a nice variety of supporting options: Manectric EX, Rough Seas, Eels, Flash energy, etc. I'd suggest first researching this particular Mega Pokemon.

I have been testing Mega Tyranitar EX recently and it's a "beast" (pun intended). Lol. It is definitely competitive, imo.

Back