Discussion Possible Top 5 XY-On Decks

If I were you, I'd use TCGOne to test it before you actually build it. EX's/Mega's are still expensive, even the under used ones. So if you wanna build a deck that's mostly just fun/not tested fully, I think that's a better option. That or PTCGO, but TCGOne is free, so ya know.

I really like PTCGO more, but cards on there can be annoying to get sometimes. I've been testing it with bats on TCG One and it was just rather clunky. I'm going to probably make a post later about the deck.

Back on topic though; I don't see many new decks popping up until another set after AOR, three the most. Most of the decks I've seen people talk about I think are going to be widely tech'ed in many different ways because the new set gives a lot of versatility to the format, Standard and Expanded.

I really like PTCGO more, but cards on there can be annoying to get sometimes. I've been testing it with bats on TCG One and it was just rather clunky. I'm going to probably make a post later about the deck.

Back on topic though; I don't see many new decks popping up until another set after AOR, three the most. Most of the decks I've seen people talk about I think are going to be widely tech'ed in many different ways because the new set gives a lot of versatility to the format, Standard and Expanded.

Yeah, AOR really just gives speed/tech's to most decks. There's only a few actual decks that came out of the set, but a future set could definitely unlock the potential that AOR give to some cards that are just under usable.

Once Primal Groudon is up, in most cases its pretty much game for most decks. Primals Groudon can be set up in 2 turns thanks to Mega Turbo, and because of his ancient trait he can wait out any deck until he has the best trade he can get. His ancient Trait ALONE gives him the edge that Machamp just doesn't. 170 HP? ezpz to 1hitKO. 240 and can't be forced out before it's set up? You're gonna have some trouble if your not playing a heavy hitter or grass deck.

Machamp needs 60-80 damage added just to 1hitKO most megas. That's a stupid amount of effort when you can just play Primal Groudon and just need to add 20-40 damage for the KOs. Yeah, he needs Stadiums, but nearly EVERY deck plays a stadium, so saying that's a set back is pretty ignorant as hell to say when you need 1. A Ariados 2. 2-3 Strong Energy 3. A muscle band. Just to get a ko. Also, what happens when your Machamp gets KO'd and you lose nearly all your Strong Energy? (which won't be hard considering it only has 170 HP). Its game.

Though you can set up Primal Groudon in just two turns, It's not that easy in reality. There's also more room in a Machamp deck for other tech like Focus Sash. To prevent him from a K.O and hit the opponent back with his first attack. Also you say that every deck plays stadium cards, but your opponent isn't just going to lay them down for you, that's pretty ignorant. They're likely not idiots and they know what Primal Groudon does, they'll simply adjust their play style. So if you're familiar with Primal Groudon decks you know that you're the one that should play multiple stadium cards, like 8 or so. Also if your only concern is to 1 hit K.O Mega Pokemon put something like faded town, Hawlucha, Regirock or Fighting stadium in it. And you think you can defeat Giratina EX simply by using the basic Groudon EX? I'm not sure... Maybe if you're really lucky. Don't miss understand me, Primal Groudon is still going to do well after rotation, But let's not make it look any better than it is.

Last edited:
Though you can set up Primal Groudon in just two turns, It's not that easy in reality. There's also more room in a Machamp deck for other tech like Focus Sash. To prevent him from a K.O and hit the opponent back with his first attack. Also you say that every deck plays stadium cards, but your opponent isn't just going to lay them down for you, that's pretty ignorant. They're likely not idiots and they know what Primal Groudon does, they'll simply adjust their play style. So if you're familiar with Primal Groudon decks you know that you're the one that should play multiple stadium cards, like 8 or so. Also if your only concern is to 1 hit K.O Mega Pokemon put something like faded town, Hawlucha, Regirock or Fighting stadium in it. And you think you can defeat Giratina EX simply by using the basic Groudon EX? I'm not sure... Maybe if you're really lucky. Don't miss understand me, Primal Groudon is still going to do well after rotation, But let's not make it look any better than it is.

Giratina is possibly defeated by just Primal Groudon whether has theta max or not,if you have Silent Lab.

If I were you, I'd use TCGOne to test it before you actually build it. EX's/Mega's are still expensive, even the under used ones. So if you wanna build a deck that's mostly just fun/not tested fully, I think that's a better option. That or PTCGO, but TCGOne is free, so ya know.
I like TCGone. That was my training ground for my recently M-Manectric and Pachi deck + Seismi , Thundurus ,and Emolga as tanks. My deck strategy was effective then.

Last edited by a moderator:

If Primal Groudon isn't set up by at least turn 3, then your playing a bad variant or your SUPER unlucky. And even them playing just one can be enough, because Primal Groudon will still have it's many Stadiums to play. Also, why wouldn't Groudon EX work? It can detach Giratina's most important energy, and it can hit for higher numbers. There's no reason you should need luck, it makes perfect sense that you'd out beat Giratina EX without Mega Evolving.

If Primal Groudon isn't set up by at least turn 3, then your playing a bad variant or your SUPER unlucky. And even them playing just one can be enough, because Primal Groudon will still have it's many Stadiums to play. Also, why wouldn't Groudon EX work? It can detach Giratina's most important energy, and it can hit for higher numbers. There's no reason you should need luck, it makes perfect sense that you'd out beat Giratina EX without Mega Evolving.

Well said. Even if you are extremely unlucky, if you cant fully execute your plan by turn 3 twice out of 10 games, drop the deck. That said, if you know how to use primal groudon properly, i would love to see a list.

kai

Well said. Even if you are extremely unlucky, if you cant fully execute your plan by turn 3 twice out of 10 games, drop the deck. That said, if you know how to use primal groudon properly, i would love to see a list.

kai

Right now I'm retesting it for XY-on, so my deck isn't quite done. As soon as I have it in a place where I feel comfortable with it I'll drop the list here (that or I could post the BCR-on list, but I don't know how much help that'd really be). I'm also working on a Shiftry deck though, and that's kind of taking priority of the Groudon because I've played Groudon for a very long time and I'm more interested in finishing a new deck first.

I'm so curious about the Vespiquen and the Eeveelutions deck, If Vespi has four types,(grass,fire,water,electric) the only Pokemon can stop it is Mega Rayquaza Dragon-Type because of its Delta Wild AT.

First of all, thanks for the like. Second of all, mega rayquaza dragon cant evolve first turn, so if you strike early and hard, the game is yours. How you do this, simple. lysandre, the inconsistent pokemon catcher, and the likely possibility they cant mega turn 2 is more then enough to over power it.Delta wild is exclusive to mega ray dragon, so luckily for us, there aren't many pokemon with that trait whatsoever. Creating a consistent list for this deck is tough, but Ill give it a shot.

4-4 vespiquen
3-2-2-1 eevee jolteon flareon vaporeon
4 Unown
2 shaymin ex

4 sycamore
4 birch
3 vs seeker
4 compressor
1 lysandre
4 plant forest
4 trainers mail
4 Ultra ball
2 switch

4 DCE
4 Fire

Right now I'm retesting it for XY-on, so my deck isn't quite done. As soon as I have it in a place where I feel comfortable with it I'll drop the list here (that or I could post the BCR-on list, but I don't know how much help that'd really be). I'm also working on a Shiftry deck though, and that's kind of taking priority of the Groudon because I've played Groudon for a very long time and I'm more interested in finishing a new deck first.

Gotcha. Im not quite sure of a list either. its fine if you dont have a final list though.

I know Machamp will have a deck of it's own, but have you thought of using it as a tech in Primal Groudon? I kind of seeing it going both ways. I don't know how well it'd fair without laser's being in standard and the possible potential of Ariados' rise could see it being played as a tech in a lot of decks as well.

I know Machamp will have a deck of it's own, but have you thought of using it as a tech in Primal Groudon? I kind of seeing it going both ways. I don't know how well it'd fair without laser's being in standard and the possible potential of Ariados' rise could see it being played as a tech in a lot of decks as well.

There's zero reason to tech in Machamp EX into Primal Groudon. It adds nothing to the deck.

To everyone who is posting on this thread, the posts should be relevant to the topic. Mega Adi asked what the possible top 5 XY-On deck were for next year, but a lot of the current posts are pretty far off from that. While I am reading looking for possible deck lists to build for next year, I see people posting random deck lists asking if they are good. What is that all about? Those posts are meant for the Deck Garage forum, not this thread. I hope someone will post an actual top 5 deck idea, or thought.
While that is true, keep in mind that the deck lists are off of some of the top 5 lists previously written on this thread. For example, some people have said that Vespi will see a rise with the Eeveelutions and GPF, so that's why there is a Vespi deck list outside of the Deck Garage forums.

To everyone who is posting on this thread, the posts should be relevant to the topic. Mega Adi asked what the possible top 5 XY-On deck were for next year, but a lot of the current posts are pretty far off from that. While I am reading looking for possible deck lists to build for next year, I see people posting random deck lists asking if they are good. What is that all about? Those posts are meant for the Deck Garage forum, not this thread. I hope someone will post an actual top 5 deck idea, or thought.

There's been TONS of discussion about the top 5 decks for XY-on. Just because a few people may have posted deck lists doesn't mean the entire thread has been derailed. Just report the posts if you think that they're that harmful to the thread.

There's been TONS of discussion about the top 5 decks for XY-on. Just because a few people may have posted deck lists doesn't mean the entire thread has been derailed. Just report the posts if you think that they're that harmful to the thread.
That's exactly what I'm sayin too. THANK YOU.

True, but I am just posting a reminder. I did not say that all posts were unreasonable, but a couple are. I have noticed that after each off-topic post, it would spark a completely redundant conversation for this thread. So I would have to scroll through a couple pages to find where it ends.

So all I am saying is, just try to keep the posts on topic. ;)

Last edited:
True, but I am just posting a reminder. I did not say that all posts were unreasonable, but a couple are. I have noticed that after each off-topic post, it would spark a completely redundant conversation for this thread. So I would have to scroll through a couple pages to find where it ends.

So all I am saying is, just try to keep the posts on topic. ;)
Ironically, your post about staying on topic just sparked an off topic conversation.

There's honestly not much left to discuss about the new set and how it will pan out. That or what the best decks for this new format will be. I guess we wait 2 weeks for the set to come out, then another 3 for the set to be legal and the rotation to be changed to find out if our predictions were right.

Giratina is possibly defeated by just Primal Groudon whether has theta max or not,if you have Silent Lab.

I like TCGone. That was my training ground for my recently M-Manectric and Pachi deck + Seismi , Thundurus ,and Emolga as tanks. My deck strategy was effective then.
You cant put down stadium with Giratina-EX attack.

Back