Playtesting Unreleased Cards

Supa_Hot_Fire

Hoping for Shedinja Break...
I was just wondering: when you guys playtest decks with unreleased cards (i.e. a Mega Sceptile or Vespiquen deck), do you print out large amounts of proxies and play with those? Or is there an easier way to do it? Thanks!

Personally, whenever I proxy I just put a small slip of paper with the name of the card in the sleeve along with some random card that has no place in the deck. If the card is something new I have the card image/ translation either ready on my phone or printed out and kept off to the side for reference. If it's something common like N or Ultra Ball I don't even bother.

Last edited:
I use another card as a proxy. For instance, I was playing around with the new Claydol recently and used Team Magma's Claydol as a proxy in my deck. Then I just keep a printout of the actual card text beside me.

Also forgot to mention before, I would personally suggest against putting an extra slip of paper into a sleeve over a card. Any change in thickness could affect your play decisions. For instance, if you notice the top card of your deck is slightly thicker, and it's a card you need, you may be less willing to play shuffling cards from your hand. It's good to keep yourself honest so you can get a proper test. :)

I was just wondering: when you guys playtest decks with unreleased cards (i.e. a Mega Sceptile or Vespiquen deck), do you print out large amounts of proxies and play with those? Or is there an easier way to do it? Thanks!
I just print proxies of the desired card images, slip those in sleeves with a blank card, and play test.

Back