Article "I Like to Move it, Move it" All About Aromatisse!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Very nice article! I have a soft spot for Aromatisse after seeing the way Kyle piloted it in those Regionals, and honestly think it is actually quite decent.

I'd like to know why you have chosen to use Sacred Ash in each of your lists. I have noticed that most, if not all, of the Top 8 Nationals neglected to use the card, so I would really like to know about your reasoning.

Matthew the Fairy Lover

The Lover of everything Fairy
Great article dude, Fairies are one of my favourite decks. Do you think Mega Gardevoir would be a good deck to run for the XY-On Format as I do have the money for the Gardevoir EX, Mega Gardevoir EX and for the spirit link and I do have the rest of the Fairy support. Let's just hope that Aromatisse gets reprinted soon before XY Base gets rotated.

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Fairies get hurt in one way because Max Potion is gone. That was one of the biggest benefits of Aromatisse that Fairies lose with the rotation. I mean, I guess you could use AZ, but it's your Supporter for the turn and it doesn't really work for Megas. You can force your opponent to Lysandre the damaged Pokémon by Rereating, but this would mean having lots of damaged Pokémon the Bench. With all of the Metal around, I wouldn't make Fairies a top pick for XY-on.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
@bbninjas those decks are different then fairly decks. Metal, Toad, and Rayquaza can function fine without a sacred ash. These decks are reliant on Aromatisse, and if all are discarded/KOed, then you lose.
@Matthew the Fairy Lover I think that it could have potential. I only say this because Vespiqueen/Flareon/etc. could destroy Metal, which is M Gardevoir EXs main weakness.
@Serperior refer to above about metal. Also, I do agree that Fairies has trouble without Max Potion, but it could still work through Cassius/AZ/Scoop Ups. A flippy deck did win Nationals.

Vaultboy91

Aspiring Trainer
Do you think Ancient Origins Whimsicott would have a place in either the M-Gardevoir or Ray-Tisse deck for healing? You could use a high count of Level Ball to get out both the Aromatisse and Whimsicott lines.
Also would Lucario-EX be a viable Fighting attacker in the toolbox deck once Landorus-EX rotates? Doesn't hit the bench, but its first attack can still OHKO Raichu and apply a lot of early pressure on Manectric-EX or Ampharos-EX.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
@Vaultboy91 I think it would be interesting, but I don't think it would be too good. It relies a lot on having damage close to a KO on a benched Pokemon. It also doesn't do any damage...yes it does move the benched damage, but its not doing additional damage on top of it.
I honestly don't think that FairyBox will be around much at all next season due to the loss of max potion and many of the Pokemon as well. If it does, either Lucario EX or Hawlucha will take its spot in my opinion.

XrayVyper

Aspiring Trainer
I love the article. It is nice to see good articles that you don't have to pay a crazy amount to read. Great job. I am really thinking on putting together a similar M- ray deck and you have given me some great ideas. I really like the logic of a 3-3 line. Until this moment I had been running a 4-3 line and I am seeing the downside...
Thanks again for the great article!!!
P.S. It is rogue decks not rouge :p

Materious17

Pokemon Geologist
Maybe I just don't understand this but for your Toolbox Aromatisse list you talk about the benefits of having a 3-2 Aromatisse Line

3-2 Aromatisse Line
I like a 3-2 line of the Aromatisse line because it removes any complications. If one is Prized and the other one is KO’d, I don’t have to go digging through my deck for the one Sacred Ash. In addition, because we don’t run Mr. Mime, Pokemon that can snipe the Bench spell out death to Aromatisse, especially the Crobat line. If we can manage to get out two Aromatisse, the opponent will switch over to an actual threat on the board opposed to the Pokemon that the deck revolves around.

It seems like you are describing the benefits of having a 3-3 line as opposed to a 3-2 line. especially with your comment about how if 1 is prized and another is KO'd you don't have to go digging through your deck for the one Sacred Ash. Maybe you can clear this up for me whether or not you meant to have it as a 3-3 line in your list or if you changed it to 3-2 after you wrote about a 3-3 line but forgot to edit it.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
@XrayVyper thank you so much!
@Materious17 I am specifically talking about the spritzee line in that section. I definitely could have been clearer with that and will try harder in the future to make sure everything sounds right to the reader.
Too long didn't read: I am still talking about a 3-2 line...but only the spritzee.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
And the only reason I'm not mentioning the Aromatisse is because, arguably, Spritzee is more important then Aromatisse. This may sound very dumb..."how could the pre-evolution of a Pokemon be more important then the Pokemon the deck is centered around?" This is because you can't put aromatisse into play without spritzee, making it more important to dig early for the spritzees and get aromatisse the next turn.

Materious17

Pokemon Geologist
And the only reason I'm not mentioning the Aromatisse is because, arguably, Spritzee is more important then Aromatisse. This may sound very dumb..."how could the pre-evolution of a Pokemon be more important then the Pokemon the deck is centered around?" This is because you can't put aromatisse into play without spritzee, making it more important to dig early for the spritzees and get aromatisse the next turn.

Ah that makes sense, no problem your article on whole is fantastic. Thanks for the clarification.

Pinecone

A Pinecone on the Beach
Thank you for the great article!

The Aegislash-EX can be a thorn in nearly all Aromatisse variants. I have a lot of fun playing with Fairy Box, but Aegislash-EX is so much to overcome, especially two of them. Ray-Tisse appears to be the best version to deal with the sword, so I will definitely look into it.

KecleonKid

Aspiring Trainer
This article makes it sound like, if Mr mime was included it would prevent damage from Crobat And Golbats Abilities, which is not the case.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
@Materious17 You are welcome!
@Pinecone Aegislash-EX is hard to beat, but isn't unbeatable. Especially with Lysandre in each of my lists (and VS Seeker), and some Pokemon that can take him out (Aegislash, Charizard, M Gardevoir, M Rayquaza) with basic energy attached.
@KecleonKid I did not mean to say that Mr. Mime stopped Crobat/Golbat's abilities, but attacks. A Crobat's ability plus a Skill Dive OHKOes Spritzee, and plus another Crobat's ability/2 Golbat's ability is an OHKO to Aromatisse.

Vaultboy91

Aspiring Trainer
@Vaultboy91 I think it would be interesting, but I don't think it would be too good. It relies a lot on having damage close to a KO on a benched Pokemon. It also doesn't do any damage...yes it does move the benched damage, but its not doing additional damage on top of it.
I honestly don't think that FairyBox will be around much at all next season due to the loss of max potion and many of the Pokemon as well. If it does, either Lucario EX or Hawlucha will take its spot in my opinion.

That makes sense. It's main purpose is to heal, but it needs to be active and it will easily be KO'd after it moves the damage to the opponent.
That is too bad. The versatility of FairyBox make it seem pretty fun and interesting. I was looking at other Pokemon that would be viable in a FairyBox deck and its tough trying to find good Pokemon because a lot of cards post Furious Fists have specific energy requirements instead of just colorless requirements which would lead to an over reliance on Rainbow energy.

pokemoiso

Aspiring Trainer
My opinion right now is, Aromatisse doesn't add much value to most decks in the format. I've been a fairy player since I re-started playing last year and Aromatisse was helpful for a long time.

Moving your energy back, playing max potion and leaving your opponent with a 230 HP completely healed M Kangaskhan (for example) was too good a few months ago, but not as good now. You can't play max potion if your pokemon are getting 1HKOed every time, and it really hurts when they take away your energy by KOing the pokemon who is holding them. You could think of spreading your energy to avoid this, but then your opponent will just KO aromatisse instead.

As of right now, I've actually dropped Aromatisse from my M-Gardevoir EX deck in exchange for some disruption in the shape of Head Ringer and Enhanced Hammer. That helps a lot in your worst match ups like Metal and colorless M-Ray, and it's performing awesome so far. I've actually beaten metal every time I played against it with this deck, and M-Ray has been an even match up.

The deck is still good, you put energy into play with Mega Turbo and xerneas. You just can't play your energy wherever you want with xerneas, planning to move it around later with Aromatisse. But if you play your energy straight to your attackers, you will be in good shape.

I could make an exception for the Tool box deck, since you can still deny your opponent prizes by playing safeguarders and Aegislash. But the main strategy in Aromatisse variants is dead in a metagame where most decks can OHKO your pokemon very often.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
My opinion right now is, Aromatisse doesn't add much value to most decks in the format. I've been a fairy player since I re-started playing last year and Aromatisse was helpful for a long time.

Moving your energy back, playing max potion and leaving your opponent with a 230 HP completely healed M Kangaskhan (for example) was too good a few months ago, but not as good now. You can't play max potion if your pokemon are getting 1HKOed every time, and it really hurts when they take away your energy by KOing the pokemon who is holding them. You could think of spreading your energy to avoid this, but then your opponent will just KO aromatisse instead.

As of right now, I've actually dropped Aromatisse from my M-Gardevoir EX deck in exchange for some disruption in the shape of Head Ringer and Enhanced Hammer. That helps a lot in your worst match ups like Metal and colorless M-Ray, and it's performing awesome so far. I've actually beaten metal every time I played against it with this deck, and M-Ray has been an even match up.

The deck is still good, you put energy into play with Mega Turbo and xerneas. You just can't play your energy wherever you want with xerneas, planning to move it around later with Aromatisse. But if you play your energy straight to your attackers, you will be in good shape.

I could make an exception for the Tool box deck, since you can still deny your opponent prizes by playing safeguarders and Aegislash. But the main strategy in Aromatisse variants is dead in a metagame where most decks can OHKO your pokemon very often.
I personally have to agree with this. I run an fairy deck at the moment that isn't your classic aromatisse, a despite perhaps benefiting from it, I've gone against. Instead I've got a Garbador in there instead, and found it being much more helpful in preventing my opponent from overwhelming me with things like Bronzong, speeding up with Shaymin, or walling with me Safeguarders. However, I sorta can help but feel that the toolbox version of aromatisse needs the fairy to run sufficiently to keep up with threats, although I reckon good players would be able to set up the right threats constantly.

There is that Regirock AT that I would use in any fairy spread deck that certainly helps Aromatisse variants.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
@pokemoiso Aromatisse isn't meant to be put into every deck. Obviously, you wouldn't put Aromatisse in Primal Groudon or in Metal, but it helps in a few decks, like you said. Now about OHKOing Pokemon, I don't agree with this too much. Sure, M Rayquaza, Primal Groudon, and M Tyranitar are all Pokemon that are playable (Ttar is a speculation) and can do easy one shots, but the format does not rely on just those decks. What about Metal, Seismitoad/Landorus Bats, Manectric Variants, Primal Kyogre, etc.? I do think that Max Potion has lost a part of its shine from a few formats ago, but it isn't suddenly unplayable because of Mega Rayquaza. If your opponent is gearing towards your Aromatisse, then you probably didn't set up right. I almost always try to get out 2 spritzee on Turn 1, and if I can't I make sure that when I get out an Aromatisse it isn't alone (AKA I have a spritzee benched in case of a Lysandre). Regirock is to stop your opponent from taking away your energy.
As for your strategy against Metal, that's pretty cool. I usually have a 25/75 win ratio without any techs, but your way sounds interesting. The only problem that I'd have to point out is that with the changes, you only win 2 matchups that give away wins to other matchups. The deck will almost definitely lose to Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre. Kyogre beats you because you aren't moving around energy on Pokemon and healing; Groudon beats you because you can't discard/attach head ringers to it and energy is all condensed on Pokemon that Primal Groudon can Lysandre up any time they want. Sure, you solve some problems when you take out Aromatisse, but you create new problems without it.
I do not think Aromatisse will be dead next format, but different. I'll compare it to Dark decks. Originally, Dark decks relied on Dark Patch and attaching a ton of energy to Yveltal-EX to make big OHKOes. Nowadays, people use baby Yveltal to power up Yveltal-EX and soften up the defender for a a 2HKO. Likewise, Aromatisse will have to switch to a hardcore offensive deck to possibly a Hard-Charm/Jamming Net defensive type of deck. Lastly, there is still healing, with AZ, Cassius, and Super Scoop Up. With VS seeker you can reuse AZ and Cassius in the same way that you'd use Max Potion turn after turn.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz
@bbninjas I like the idea of Garbodor as a replacement! If I had to choose something to replace Aromatisse, it would either be more consistency or Garbodor. I do think that adding Garb will add problems that Aromatisse would fix. Like the above post, adding in Garb limits you from using Shaymin and Jirachi effectively. It also makes your matchups against non-ability decks much harder. Even decks like Mega Rayquaza really don't need to be using Shaymin's ability after Turn 2/3 and will certainly have a Mega set up by then. It would be a little different if you ran Wobbuffet, as that Pokemon starts working turn 1, but with a stage 1 that requires a tool, I do not think it would be the most effective choice.