Spin-Off Charizard and Weavile Confirmed as Playable Characters in 'Pokken Tournament'

don()shinobi

PokeBeach's Yu-Gi-Oh enthusiast. I guess.
They HAD to pick Mega Charizard X. Like that one hasn't been overused to death in media or anything...

thegrovylekid

Makes fake cards
it's ALWAYS Charizard. I mean, it doesn't MATTER if it's the worst character in Smash 4 or anything, just as long as fans have their CHARIZARD.

*Sighs* I hate Charizard.

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Weavile looks amazing. I love the design and its moves. Charizard looks a bit occurred.

DragonFlames

Aspiring Trainer
it's ALWAYS Charizard. I mean, it doesn't MATTER if it's the worst character in Smash 4 or anything, just as long as fans have their CHARIZARD.

This is the very words I said when I saw the Sinnoh starters appearing in literally EVERYTHING during the 4th generation.

Also, worst character in Smash 4? Really? I think, it's not that bad (even though it's not my main, either).

Also, Burst (Mode, according to serebii) Attack? Really, Nintendo? First Mega Evolution, now Burst Mode's, too? Pokémon is becoming more and more like Digimon by the second... ugh...

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer

I wish there was a dislike button...

Though I agree with don()shinobi, Mega Charizard X is being too overused, they could use the Y Mega a bit more...

btw, really? they're just going to have 8 playable pokémon out of 721? (Not including the support pokémon), because that's what it seems like to be the case. Wasn't Blaziken supposed to be in the game too?

Last edited:

Gentlefish

Hero of Truth
They HAD to pick Mega Charizard X. Like that one hasn't been overused to death in media or anything...
As much as I prefer Charizard Y, X makes more sense for a fighting game, IMO. Then again, I guess they still managed Gardevoir, despite it being a special attacker...

This is the very words I said when I saw the Sinnoh starters appearing in literally EVERYTHING during the 4th generation.

Also, Burst (Mode, according to serebii) Attack? Really, Nintendo? First Mega Evolution, now Burst Mode's, too? Pokémon is becoming more and more like Digimon by the second... ugh...

Big difference between being everywhere in one generation and being everywhere over six of them. Don't diss Torterra, k?
...Plus, isn't that standard procedure, to some extent? Maybe it was worse in Gen IV, but starters do a lot of the marketing.

As for the Burst Attacks... This is a spin-off(!) fighting game in which some of the Pokémon have Megas and some do not. Rather than strip those Pokémon of the new gimmick, they made sure every Pokémon has a signature attack. I don't see how this is bad or "like Digimon".

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
I don't think they are taking physical attackers over special attackers. Heck, after revealing Suicune I don't think they are taking anything related to fighting into a consideration when they are picking a Pokemon for this game.
Charizard Mega Y could definitely be an option. It is just less popular .

DragonFlames

Aspiring Trainer
Big difference between being everywhere in one generation and being everywhere over six of them. Don't diss Torterra, k?
...Plus, isn't that standard procedure, to some extent? Maybe it was worse in Gen IV, but starters do a lot of the marketing.

As for the Burst Attacks... This is a spin-off(!) fighting game in which some of the Pokémon have Megas and some do not. Rather than strip those Pokémon of the new gimmick, they made sure every Pokémon has a signature attack. I don't see how this is bad or "like Digimon".

'Kay, I see what you're getting at. I don't like Charizard that much, either, to be completely honest. I'm not dissing Torterra in particular, I was just fed up with this particular group of starters appearing in EVERYTHING back then. They had them in almost every TCG-set of the time (only three in which they weren't... three of ten!) and I just had seen enough of them to the point of absolutely loathing the thought of a Gen IV remake (yes, it was THAT bad for me...). But I stopped playing the main Pokémon games anyway, so... there's that.

As for the second thing I mentioned: I didn't say it was bad. I just remembered that there was a 'Burst Mode' in Digimon Savers (Data Squad for America and Europe) and that I think I'm a little sensitive when it comes to things that have the same name in two different franchises, especially since Digimon was always considered a Pokémon rip-off and nowadays nobody even dares to point out when Pokémon blatantly copies concepts from other franchises (Digimon in particular, with the Mega Evolution thingy, which is part of the reason I stopped playing the main games) and doesn't even try to hide it. I just find it a little, unfair is all. Though yes, I know that I went a little overboard with my previous comment, so... I apologize. I was just disappointed a lot by Pokémon lately, is all.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
I just made a video about this discussing my views on this reveal. Im a little disappointing to see Charizard here since its in smash. I would really like the reveal to be of another popular pokemon but one not used much. I really dont want to see the smash Pokemon in this game but Weavile was a treat for sure. I would really love it had Zangoose been in that spot but Zangoose is sitting as a background character, which is a little disheartening since it might not be playable.

Still hoping Pidgeot makes it in the game. Charizard X makes me cry. I knew they were going to use it but would be nice to see Char Y sometimes.

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
OMG OMG OMG, it's CHARIZARD! I'm sooooooooo HYPED!

(end of sarcasm)

Expected! Gosh, how I want to be part of Team Rocket and make Charizard go extinct!I think Mystery Dungeon should now have a br*thel with certain Pokémon in it!

On the other hand, Weavile seems nice and I like it's personality, at least from what is shown.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Oh yes! I was wondering when we were going to get the next update!

Weavile sounds like an interesting choice, but does seem to have a lot of character with it. That taunt looks cool :p

Dragonite666

Dragon-Type Trainer
Mmmm....
I just failed with suicune, i never thought it would appear in...
Now... My predictions:
1.- Hawlucha, as lucha libre-like fighter
2.- Garchomp
3.- Greninja, is too popular...

And...

4.- Snorlax/Hariyama as Sumo-like fighter
5.- Sceptile/Breloom.

With them and Blaziken would be 14 fighters.

Purrloin

Weavile looks pretty cool. Charizard is... well, Charizard.

I kinda wish they had stuck to human-like Pokemon though. Some of the inclusions (like Suicune especially) feel kinda weird in a fighting(-esque) game.

Then again, it won't be the first time we have a dog in a fighting game. :p

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
The Charizard hatred is high... I believe nowadays there are probably more people hating Charizard than liking it... lol

For f- sake, he's one of the most popular pokémon, what did you expect? Did anybody actually thought they were not going to include it? I know I'm a little suspect to talk, as I do like Charizard a lot, but look, most of the other chosen pokémon are also among the most popular ones: Gengar, Machamp, Gardevoir, and specially Lucario. I'm surprised they didn't say anything about Mewtwo being in the game (and I don't like Mewtwo that much)...

Dragonite666

Dragon-Type Trainer
I'm surprised they didn't say anything about Mewtwo being in the game (and I don't like Mewtwo that much)...

Mewtwo could be the "Final Boss" BUUUT.. Just for the "console version", i think.
I have a theory, and i say the final boss in arcade version will be Hoopa Unbound just by the film, BUT, i say the game will be able for Wii-U (And maybe, i think there's a little chance for being able for "New 3D" too) in 2016, this is the 20th anniversary and everything... sa-sa-sa... And i think Namco will put more fighters in for the console version, maybe mewtwo as an another boss, and dragonite for example, with a Mega Evolution. That would be a reason for getting amiibos of them. I think.

thegrovylekid

Makes fake cards
The Charizard hatred is high... I believe nowadays there are probably more people hating Charizard than liking it... lol

For f- sake, he's one of the most popular pokémon, what did you expect? Did anybody actually thought they were not going to include it? I know I'm a little suspect to talk, as I do like Charizard a lot, but look, most of the other chosen pokémon are also among the most popular ones: Gengar, Machamp, Gardevoir, and specially Lucario. I'm surprised they didn't say anything about Mewtwo being in the game (and I don't like Mewtwo that much)...
So? All those Pokémon actually deserve being loved. They're all amazing Pokémon that have been great in the TCG [Gardevoir RS/SW/ M Gardevoir, Machamp SF, Gengar SF/Lostgar/Gengar EX] or Pokémon that have been amazing in the VGC [Lucario, Gengar, Gardevoir, Suicune] or Pikachu. Charizard was Useless in the competitive VGC for almost 20 years. 20 years! It took them 17 years to make Charizard good! Gengar was an amazing Pokémon for all 17 of those years! Charizard just gets a free pass to any game or anime because it's Charizard! It's a big orange dragon from gen 1! the reason you can say

I believe nowadays there are probably more people hating Charizard than liking it... lol

is because there's more and more people who didn't start with gen 1 [or FRLG] who don't have that connection to Charizard! I bet if charizard was introduced in ANY generation after the first 2 nobody would care for it! Why? Because it's a dull ordinary dragon that isn't actually a dragon! We had that with Dragonite! Charizard is honestly, the game's most OVERRATED Pokémon.
But yeah... Weavile's cool.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Expected/10

I'm sure there will be a bunch of secret characters to unlock, too, since I guess that tends to be a popular thing.