XY79 'Braixen and Pancham!! A Captivating Fiery Performance!!'

Very awesome episode! Serena's Pokémon Showcase journey has been my favourite part of the XY series so far. Not only for the actions of Serena and her Pokémon, but also all the cool things that we get to see Pokémon do with the other performers. It was nice to see Jessie do well without having to resort to hijinks or anything, but immensely gratifying to see Serena, Braixen, and Panhcam pull through and win. After all the work they've put in together, they deserve it!

I was a bit miffed about Miette coming back since I didn't care for her much in her debut episode, but she wasn't as bad this time around. I'd still prefer Shauna to stick around as Serena's main Showcase rival, though.

I must say that the costume of Serena's is actually quite nice. I feel it was eye catching and not overly complicated like some costumes are in the Anime. However, Braixen's costume just looks ugly to me. Bad colour choice I think.

Unlike the previous Pokemon Showcase episode, the plot had average sustainability, was woven with sub-par character interactions apart from Serena and Miette's, and the glorified yet almost Broadway meets a fashion showcase like ambiance of the previous Pokemon Showcase was not present. However, the episode did possess some heartfelt and triumphant moments such as Serena winning, her Pokemon supporting her, Jessie's evasion from the norm, meaning not using tactics illegal to win, Jessie knocking Serena onto a pile of wood or what I presume to be a pile of wood (That must have hurt but shows us how heinous Jessie can be), and Miette's interaction with Serena although she still feels like a watered down version of Sinnoh's Ursula in my opinion. Of course, we cannot compare what was probably one of the best and most impacting episodes in recent years from the Pokemon anime to one that is trying to find it's niche. All in all, a B- episode; could have been written better but still a solid episode nonetheless. I'm even more hyped about Serena's journey as a Pokemon performer now.

PS: I wonder if Yashio saw her performance, I was surprised by the lack of her appearance.

I also loved the previous Showcase episode much better, but that's like comparing apples to.... crazy awesome mega fruit that gives you super powers if you eat it. Serena's debut episode was so beautifully done and is by far my favourite episode of the XY series so far. I didn't come into this episode expecting anything nearly as crazy and impactful, and so I wasn't disappointed. It was still fun and unique for what it was, and better than many of the episodes we've had lately, in my opinion.

I actually was somewhat surprised to not see a sign of Yashio. They could have tossed in a shot of her watching blandly on TV or something in with the other cameo shots. I would have rather had her make an appearance of some kind than Miette, for sure! :p Maybe they'll continue that arc when Serena moves onto the next level of Showcase.

The episode on topic might be a lost episode to US viewers...

I saw no sign of xy episode 79 on CN's future episode section... Right to episode 80 after xy 78...

Maybe Showcase episodes are not getting dubbed version viewers compared to other pokemon episodes...

I wonder if non-Japanese anime viewers dislike anime Contests, and are not interested in watching--or caring-- about Showcase episodes?

^ Not complaining about ratings... but I wonder why CN decided to skip XY79... A episode that aired out of town order? Immediately after Laverre City???

I highly doubt they'd complete cut out the episode completely since it's a very important one in terms of the long-term story arc of the XY season so far. I would guess that the episodes are being shuffled around for some reason and this one will probably get shown out of order.

Back