RMT Hot Fiery Dance Party!

MegaBeedrill

This isn't even my final form!
Hello! Today I'm going to be sharing a team I'm working on centered around Volcarona. I've used volcarona in the past, however I've been away from the competitive scene for some time now, last time I played showdown was during a suspect test for aegislash returning, which afterward, I kinda just took a break altogether from showdown. Meanwhile, I've been shiny hunting an- know what let's just get to the team building before I bored the crap out of everybody reading. :rolleyes:
latest

Team Preview:
445.png
637.png
497.png
121.png

This team is more towards being a semibalance, semihyperoffense team. It's centered particularly around Volcarona, but doesn't need Volcarona to function properly.. which I feel is a big mistake I usually make in teambuilding, a backup solution for when things go wrong.

tumblr_mrrd1yvHsg1so73soo2_500.gif

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Defensive Garchomp is an excellent hazard setter, and physical wall. It's a pretty reliable Talonflame check, being able to switch into the majority of Talonflame's sets, and phaze out any sweeper builds. Dragon Tail is, like previously mentioned, a great way to phaze pokemon out, or shuffle pokemon to rack up hazard damage. Stone Edge is used as a way to hit Togekiss and Tornadus-t a little bit harder. Earthquake is needed in order to reliably KO Heatran, as shuffling isn't enough and potentially give heatran a chance to burn or toxic with -6 priority Dragon Tail. Stealth Rock is just Stealth Rock.. that's it, it wears down some threats like zard and break's Dragonite's multiscale, while helping to rack up entry hazard damage with shuffling. Max Physical Defense is necessary to wall Talonflame and be able to switch into physical attacks multiple times throughout a match, such as Lopunny Fake Out, U-turns, and Flare Blitz, alongside heavy recoil with Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet.
tumblr_mc6ef7ieki1r84emlo1_500.gif

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Just your typical cloud doge that most teams have. This particular set is mostly for momentum grabbing, revenge killing, and crippling with knock off so my team isn't entirely plowed through with setup sweepers. I don't have too many options for a ground resist, which is also a big plus. Add in intimidate to sorta give extra physical bulk for everybody else, and we've got the perfect candidate for a lead! The given EVs, are just for the off chance I 1v1 a +1 adamant charizard x, since really, 24 EVs out of speed won't be missed anyway since I outspeed particularly nothing with them, and if opposing cloud doges come at me, I get the slower u-turn for momentum.

tumblr_mdyhyxZMjG1r9274u.gif

Serperior @ Meadow Plate
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Dragon Pulse

Serperior is next in line for a fantastic revenge killer, as well as being a pretty good stall breaker. One thing Garchomp, Volcarona, Klefki, and I guess you can say Lopunny as well, don't like is bulky waters, and Serp is the major nope to Mega Slowbro walling the entire team. The set itself is pretty self explanatory, Leaf Storm spam to bust through everything, Dragon Pulse hits resistances, and Glare cripples fast mons and switch ins as well as opens opportunities for other mons to safely come in should the completely unfair paralysis kick in. Hidden Power Ground is my choice for the fourth slot, because Heatran is a major threat to this team.. my best legitimate answer to Heatran, is not by countering it with a switch in, but luring it.. since even Starmie isn't stopping Heatran from switching out into something else without losing momentum. Plus with Flame Body Volc, Scizor and Ferrothorn are the least of my issues. Meadow Plate is my item of choice, the reasoning for this is that it boost Leaf Storm, without having to take recoil from life orb. HP Ground/Dpulse is either going to OHKO or 2HKO threats at +2 no matter what, and +4 doesn't even need the Life Orb, while Leaf Storm still needs to hit hard. An extra bonus, is the mind game of not knowing what set I am from the recoil, sometimes causing the opponent to overpredict a Choice set or something.

tumblr_mak49sumOW1qd87hlo1_500.gif

Volcarona @ Passho Berry
Ability: Flame Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Now, it's time for the MVP! Volcarona! Now this set may seem weird to some, but it's actually one of Volcarona's best sweeping sets available if it's main STAB didn't have the accuracy of sheer cold in my experience.. Quiver Dance is to set up and sweep, however Fire Blast was chosen over Fiery Dance due the better power provided. Being able to outspeed and OHKO scarf Landoge-t is very important (btw, that's what the EV spread is for) since Fiery Dance is only a 2HKO without rocks. Giga Drain is for some small recovery when available, while also allowing Volc to get past Rotom-W and Keldeo. Speaking of water types, Passho Berry was chosen to potentially get more than one Quiver Dances off against said waters, making Volc's checks, setup fodder. Bug Buzz is the second STAB that's actually reliable, and also allows Volc to hit the Lati twins, HP Ground isn't that necessary cause, well Serperior is already the Heatran lure, and being able to bypass the Latis are harder than Heatran for this team right now.
+1 252+ SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 366-432 (95.8 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Volcarona Fiery Dance vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 267-315 (69.8 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Volcarona Fiery Dance vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 267-315 (83.6 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

tumblr_m3qnl6oqU61qd87hlo1_r1_500.gif

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

The biggest question without a doubt for this team was, "what's my mega going to be?" I thought about putting Mega Sableye on this team for the magic bounce.. but after some thought, I realized that Sableye would be way too passive and easy to set up on, while doing very little on this type of more fast paced team. Diancie was another consideration, but then I'd just lose momentum mega evolving and diancie's longevity isn't the best, not to mention I need a turn to mega evolve, so regardless, Starmie will be dealing with hazards. So instead, I decided to do lopunny since she hits hard, and has that good neutral coverage movepool. I may reconsider ice punch for Healing Wish, Heal Bell, or Encore, but I don't know.. kinda just wanna nail those Lando's. Return over Frustration because it's already being caught onto.. chances are dittos are already adapted to the Frustration gimmick, and I'm too lazy to deal with it in game, not worth bothering with IMO.

tumblr_n9tbod0UbB1tgjlm2o1_500.gif

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

Klefki plays the important role of being a reliable hazards stacker, fast paralysis to potentially prevent a sweep, and an excellent wall to several threats such as Latios. It synergizes with Garchomp almost perfectly, providing an excellent, and efficient defensive core. Magnet Rise helps remove Klefki's ground weakness, making it easily capable of walling several ground types such as Garchomp and Landorus-t. Spikes helps cripple teams and provide pressure on defensive pokemon, limiting what can actually switch into a hit from Volcarona, Serperior, or Lopunny. Spikes also has the additional effect of successfully wearing down Unaware Clefable enough to break through. Thunder Wave will pretty much stop any pokemon's sweep dead cold, lowering their speed low enough for a revenge killer, or two, to make short work of the threat. Plus an occasional 25% paralysis benefits the Spike stacking too. Foul Play prevents Klefki from being setup fodder to pokemon such as Dragonite, Charizard X, SD Gliscor, and occasionally physical Baton Pass.
tumblr_lx61qia1gt1qd87hlo1_500.gif

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Earth Power

You know what this team hates? Talonflame. The bird guarantees something is dead, or at least 2HKO'd when it comes in. Not a very good thing, and so, that's where we have heatran! Not only are Stealth Rocks all good and dandy, but also this heatran completely shuts down the bird and stops it from mauling the team. Roar Stops the Sword's Dancing T-flame (No joke, I've lost many heatrans trying to wall stallbreaker T-flames.. maybe that's why they're rare in game now. :eek:) while Earth Power is lovely to troll roosting T-flames, as well as being a decent anti-heatran, heatran. Lava Plume may spread a burn or two, while being a reliable STAB. This Heatran is Specially Defensive since on the physical side, I'm either dead to a strong STAB, or 2HKO'd regardless, so it's not as helpful as avoiding a 2HKO from defensive rotom, and then roaring for hazard stack damage. Plus it's a decent switch into nonEQ latios, which this team can't switch into easily. Air Balloon is mostly for other heatran/forcing lando's to switch, but I may switch for lefties.

tumblr_m0r6qtullt1qaropco1_500.gif

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect Type
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Starmie removes rocks. Nothing more needs to be said really why I chose this... Reflect Type is a cool move that copies the opponent's typing. This allows the echinoderm to completely resist Bisharp's pursuit, and be immune/resistant to anything Ferrothorn can do, such as leech seed and power whip, while Natural Cure shrugs off thunder wave, and Scald fishes for burns. Recover can stall out these two as well! Scizor is another one who can't touch this starfish due to the risk of Scald, and Reflect Type saying nope to Pursuit/U-Turn. Originally I came up with a cool EV spread of 240 speed just to speed creep Serperior.. but then that blew out the window for 4 more EVs just to outspeed Scarf Magnezone.. which is good too I guess, just 4.

And... that's the team! I know it isn't perfect, which is why I'd love to hear suggestions and opinions for this team! I don't know what really changed in this metagame since the Landorus-I ban, so I may seem like a bit of a slowpoke with today's metagame trends. Thanks for Reading and Happy Gaming!

645-s.png
637.png
497.png
121.png

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Serperior @ Meadow Plate
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Dragon Pulse

Volcarona @ Passho Berry
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Heal Bell

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Earth Power

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Reflect Type
445.png
637.png
497.png
121.png

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Serperior @ Meadow Plate
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Dragon Pulse

Volcarona @ Passho Berry
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Heal Bell

Klefki @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Reflect Type
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Last edited:

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Very nice team MegaBeedrill. If you still need/want to test other options with it then I think it might be good to test Landorus-T's defensive set since you want to keep Heatran for Talonflame, which usually would come as late as your Volcarona, and you still need something good to switch into moves. Slow U-Turn also gives you momentum which is good since most of your Pokemon cannot allow themselves to switch in. Having Stealth Rock on Landorus-T can allow Heatran to run another move maybe Toxic to break defensive mons etc . Also on Heatran, have you tried Leftovers instead of Air Balloon? This gives you a way of recovery Heatran needs if he is used to switch in a lot for taking damage. What do you think?
Starmie is a great pick for the spinner role also because of Natural Cure which allows you to switch in on T-Waves which are very dangerous for Mega Lopunny Volcarona and Serperior.
Unaware TW Clefable seems like a really hard threat to deal with.

Professor Palutena

The Queen
I feel like Heatran is a huge momentum sink in an otherwise great offensive team. It's totally the weak link on this team. Here's what I'd like to suggest.

Swap Landorus-T for a Defensive Garchomp and swap Heatran for a spike setting Klefki. Garchomp is an awesome Talonflame counter as Rough Skin + Rocky Helmet damage really stacks up, especially with Talonflame relying on recoil inducing STABs. I like Stealth Rock | Dragon Tail | 1 of: Toxic, Earthquake or Fire Blast | 1 of: Toxic, Earthquake, Fire Blast, Endure or Rest. It's a staple on my offensive teams for how much it wrecks physical attackers.

Klefki is an awesome partner for Garchomp (the defensive synergy is close to flawless. It's perfect if you run Magnet Rise). Spike stacking offense is incredible with sweepers that apply pressure and force switchins (Lopunny, Serperior and Volcarona). Prankster Thunder Wave is incredible, and Klefki has the additional bonus of beating the Defogers that want to get rid of the spikes. My standard set is Spikes | Thunder Wave | Magnet Rise | 1 of: Dazzling Gleam (for dragons) or Iron Head (for Mega Diancie).

MegaBeedrill

This isn't even my final form!
I did try defensive landorus-t, however it didn't work out quite as well. Particularly, I lost my revenge killing capabilities for Mega Manectric, Gengar with that fast knock off, and even opposing Serperiors gave me a little trouble coming in on the worn down lando and crippling volc with a glare.

Garchomp sounds like a good idea, however it puts me in the same position as the lando did, making me weak to Gengar's will-o-wisp. Klefki sounds like a good idea, although wouldn't a screens set be better? I guess the spikes stacking would be more important since if clefables are unaware, it gives me a way to break through them, and if magic guard, I know I can just sweep it.

I could try the Klefchomp core, but if I'm going to do that, I'll need to put either healing wish or heal bell on lopunny so everything doesn't get worn down by status. This way I can still stop gengar from subbing with klefki, and heal off the burn on klefki.

So we're looking at...

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast

and

Klefki @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD (?)
Careful Nature (?)
- Magnet Rise
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

Foul play I picked to handle sweepers that otherwise plow through the team now, (Dragonite, Charizard X).

Last edited:

Professor Palutena

The Queen
Screens Klefki isn't as good as the Spikes utility set, though feel free to try it if you want. It's more of a suicide set with Fairy Lock than a pivot like the Spikes set, which is why I don't like it.

Regarding Gengar and status in general, you've got Starmie as a status absorber so you should be fine. Prankster Thunder Wave is pretty much the only issue I think you'd have with the team, but you'll still beat them regardless. Feel free to try Lum Berry Volcarona as well.

I'd actually try Endure over Earthquake on Garchomp. Stealth Rock and Dragon Tail are the only moves you'll use on a regular basis, with Fire Blast existing to hit Steels. Endure is very useful at beating Mega Lopunny, Mega Beedrill and Talonflame, as Endure extends Garchomp's life which means more Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin damage.

Foul Play isn't going to matter much because the sweepers you're trying to beat are able to beat Klefki in the time you'll take to safely be able to Foul Play them. Leave those guys to Garchomp.