Unlimited Format Discussion

YayCheese7

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys I have been playing Pokemon for a while now and I wanted to do something with my old cards. They are stuck in a binder and I want to take them out of there. Lots of people don't look for old cards because they think they are worthless (people who are not collectors) so its hard to sell them. So I was thinking in start playing the unlimited format where you can use old cards. You have a big variety so I wanted to know about good decks. Also I want to start with the unlimited format because I don't like switching decks every 4-6 months and because I can offer low money for the cards and people will still sell them. Thanks for the help :D.

Thread has been modified to become the Unlimited Format Discussion. ~Camoclone

Shinigami

Pokemon Loremaster
RE: Unlimited Format Decks

Unlimited is a funny format.

If you live in an area where Unlimited is loved and people actually play it, then your options are pretty limited. The biggest deck/decks (I say this because they're all very similar) have been hurt badly with the new rules change regarding first turns, and those are PoryDonk, SableDonk, and occasionally ShuppetDonk. Those decks have also been falling out of favor as the HP of basic Pokemon gets higher and higher, and since the new rules state that the first player can't attack, Sableye has been even less favorable as his PokePower overeager forces you to go first. These decks rely on a combination of fast draw via Misty's Wrath, Professor Oak, and Bicycle to put out enough damage counters using Crobat G and Scoop effects to wipe out your opponent's bench on turn one. Those are the fastest decks in Pokemon, period, and they're what will help you win Unlimited tournaments.

If it's just a casual play area, like mine is, you can build practically anything you want as long as it works. I currently run a Monarchy deck (Nidoking/Nidoqueen) and a deck built around the Ditto from Fossil. My roommate has a very strong Gardevoir deck, a pretty decent Grass/Psychic, and an alternate-format Eevee deck. I've seen Holon/Delta Species decks, Lunatone/Solrock decks, at one League I even saw someone playing a deck called Sleepy Time with Dark Gengar and a ton of Sleep effects. Because it's not a supported format (i.e. you won't find an Unlimited format at Worlds), you can get away with a lot more than you can in Modified/tournament play.

Also, Pokemon is supposed to be announcing a new Black and White-on "extended" format for next season, but I haven't heard anything about that lately. That's something to keep in mind as well, some of those older cards that were very good will go back up in price once it becomes certain.

Mora

Don't Panic

Eevee is pretty fun with this Eevee and this Jolteon and some other stuff. Jolteon makes it very easy to donk those evolving Basics that no one hardly plays anymore. You can throw in other Eeveelutions to tech for specific match ups and types. Bangle if you think you're going to see a lot of EX's.

Baby_BI

PM me if you want to make a PTCGO playtesting team

Play spread.deck. It's the best deck ever! Its hard not to win in turn 1 actually... Poke-turn Crobat G (DP) zapdos, Poke blower, seeker, all that stuff. We stopped playing unlimited in Denmark because of that.

Shinigami

Pokemon Loremaster

@ Mora: I agree. Eevee is probably the most fun you can have with a deck, and it can be very effective. If that's something OP is interested in, I would suggest getting hold of some Chain Reaction Eevees, the old Wizards Promo ones. They have the ability to evolve at pretty much any time, because it says "when a Pokemon evolves," not "When one of your Pokemon evolves." Yes, that includes the middle of your opponent turn. Sort of changes the game plan when they see a 30HP Eevee, evolve for an easy knockout, and are suddenly facing something much stronger and potentially more dangerous. Umbreon and Espeon Prime are good targets for any Eevee deck.

@Baby_Bi: You mean Zapdos from Majestic Dawn? I can see the use, but it's a bit too flippy. Plus, it takes up a spot that could be filled by an Uxie, who can also attack for the donk. Those were what we ran into here in America: Uxie from Legends Awakened, Sableye from Stormfront, and Shuppet from Platinum. You would OCCASIONALLY see an Azelf from Legends Awakened starting, but it was rare. We relied a lot more on Seeker/scoop tricks and things like PokeBlower+ to get our damage out more reliably. I've been thinking of building one again now that we have more fast draw trainers like Bicycle and Roller Skates in X and Y (a budget option at best, it's nearly unplayable) and good Pokemon search in Ultra, Level, and Heavy Ball. But, yes. A properly built Unlimited spread/donk is probably the fastest, easiest, and most effective deck in Pokemon, ever.

Aside from anything built around Ditto from Fossil, that is.

juandavidzl

Manectric
Hi, I was reading this because I want to build an unlimited spread damage deck, but I have a question. Do you guys think that one spread deck can effectively KO a high health basic pokemon? Like the actual EX pokemons we have for example. I'm not sure but I think that 180 HP is very high for a spread damage T2 deck.

Blah

DBT
I vaguely remember an unlimited spread deck that used Forretress LA, Emboar BW, and Espeon AQ. Forretress spreads damage to both fields every time you attach energy to it (on a coin flip), and then the Emboar/Espeon combo allows you to attach and detach infinitely. Combine with Broken Time Space so everything can set up on turn 1, Pokémon Center (Fossil) so you don't kill your own side, and Shuckle HGSS for infinite draw, and you pretty much can't lose, no matter how much HP your opponent's Pokémon have. (I apologize for the lack of scans--I didn't want to clog the post with pics, but you can look them up yourself).

Yo-yos

DP and hoenn era, when tcg was dope
Drifblim/porygon everything back into there deck turn 1. Jolteon drop used to be playable in SP, now it's a lot more complicated to play as you need more drop cards then just jolteon. Sableye is just stupid, it literally comes down to who actually flips the coin first.

I personally like single card unlimited, I find it gives more variety.