'Explosive Impact,' Japan's SM8 Set; Raises Questions About Switch Release

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
Frankly, it's pretty useless. The only plus about it is that it's a Basic.
The Psychic attack will usually do 120 dmg max, and it needs three energy. If it was a type that could hit for Weakness we could be looking at a decent attacker.
The GX attack is good but in the current meta Tapu Fini's GX attack is probably better.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
  • Lugia-GX - If the translations were accurate, all I can say is, good for Ho-oh decks. Ho-oh has Kiawe so that's advantage, it'll be good on Lugia as well. Aside from Ho-oh, it is also good on decks that uses DCE think Zoroark.Too bad it isn't a Psychic-type. It'll be nuts if this hits Buzz for weakness for just 2 nrg attachments. But Lugia resists Buzz so that's nice. 3-4 Geodudes

Mr.GX

Aspiring Trainer
Actually, this could help Malamar's beat Zoroark decks. Just Hoopa/Giratina to chip them, and use Wadatsumi for a KO. I would say this card got some potential.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Just stopped by to say Lugia is not a bird since I'm sure someone will call it one. It's more closely related to a Wyvern, like Yveltal.

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
The GX sounds similar to Bewear GX wherenit just send stuff to the discard pile—instant “gone” but no Prize.

I was also wondering if we’d ever see an attack that banishes Pokémon to the land of wind and ghosts
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KJDDrKX4xOw
I see this being run in Malamar. But honestly, I don’t care. Still waiting in Blacephalon-GX spoiler.

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
I think this has value as a one of in decks that can fit it and have energy acceleration such as Malamar and Ray GX.

The colorless cost gives you an extremely splashable attacker with very reliable damage and type coverage for weakness.

For example...if you put Lugia GX in either UNGX/Malamar or Ray GX, Sylveon GX and Alolan Ninetales GX Fairy have no way of OHKOing it, and Lugia GX Choice Banded can OHKO in return with free retreat from Zeraora GX providing a lot of freedom despite its attack restriction. Zeraora GX can't OHKO Sylveon/A.Ninetales, so Lugia GX can really come in as a carry.

IMO, Lugia GX is the answer to if Fairy ever gets big to try and take advantage of UNGX and Ray GX.

The 190 HP value also isn't bad since Ray GX his for units of 30 and UNGX hits for 20/100/180 without assistance from Beast Energy/Choice Band, which makes your opponent have to extend a little further in both archetypes in order to nab that OHKO.

I think I'm going to squeeze 1 copy of Lugia GX into my Ray GX deck.

EDIT: Oh, and 170 damage is the perfect value to Guzma a Lele to close the game.

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member

NinjaSquirtle15

Aspiring Trainer
Unfortunately, t being a promo in Japan is not indicative at all that it'll be one here as well. The alternate art Regigigas we got was a promo over there. I dont even think Japan does Alternate Arts at all, actually.

paintbrushpanda

Delibird Enthusiast
I am hyped that Professor Elm's Lecture is true, but also kind of disappointed. I was hoping that Brigette-like cards would no longer exist in the meta to hopefully prevent Zoroark from becoming ridiculous again, but that isn't going to happen. Also can't wait to see Hoopa and Ampharos-GX.

Ashblaze

Full Art Supporter Hunter
Can’t wait for the full art supporters in explosive impact, can’t wait for the full art supporters in Dark order, can’t wait for the FA supporters in ultra shiny (I have a collection for FAS for pokemon tcg, I’m a lover not a fighter ) also ampharos gx my friend peaches is going to love that when it comes out, can’t wait for future information on explosives impact ESPECIALLY the supporter with similar effects to Brigitte( I’m so happy to finally have a brigitte full art, I was lucky to buy one at an animeNext) this gonna be a long 3 months but it’s worth it to make my collection GROW

Salamis

Aspiring Trainer
I'm not sure about your guess on lele's legality. Japanese and Korean cards have different regulation symbol on each card(which is different from TPCI ones).

There is a pack symbol(SM~~) and a 'regulation mark'(A for cards from SM1 ~ SM4+, B for cards from SM5). The deal is, even cards get reprinted, and gets a new pack symbol, the regulation marks remain the same. For example, there were multiple reprints of ultra ball/choice band in various sets, which remained same regulation mark on itself.

Well, Neither Japanese nor Korean company showed any extra info about how that regulaion mark will work. And it seems like rotating cards based on regulation symbol will simply wreck the game. But, I think I can say we can't be 100% sure on what will happen in next rotation.

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
Professor Elm does sound like a more balanced Brigette assuming the information here is true. 60 HP or less means it's unapplicable to GX/EX Pokemon which addresses that issue Brigette previously had, but it also means that 70 HP Pokemon are left out like Poipole and Wimpod which kind of introduces a bit of favortism to basic evolution Pokemon..

Thought I guess Poipole has the advantage of Mysterious Treasure and Ultra Space and Wimpod has the advantage of Net Ball and to a lesser extent Grovyle as well, so it sort of balances out I guess?

I do think searching 3 basics out of the deck and being able to use them on the same turn is a feature that's just necessary in order to keep Stage 2 decks relevant. Searching 2 basics for evolution decks with Fan Club is really just unnacceptable against basic GX decks like Ray or Buzzwole who can likely outspeed.

Looking forward to the art on Ampharos GX. Hope it's fairly strong since we have tons of good electric support now.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
I'm happy about professor elm just so that I dont have to wait to long for people to stop acting like a first turn judge is a good thing

theprp30

Aspiring Trainer
Lugia being that nice colorless and fighting resistance will find his way into a lot of decks going forward.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Uhhh, I can't wait to see the Ampharos and Hoopa! Also, I really hope we get a Nanu FA and an Alolan Persian GX (or just any Alolan Persian) to go along with it :D

Chrswrites

Aspiring Trainer
Water Pokemon Master said:
Tapu Lele-GX’s legality will reset in Japan because of its new appearance in GX Ultra Shiny. This means our Tapu Lele-GX promo could be a brand new promo, not just an “A” alternate art reprint.

But doesn't the A/B system apply? Japanese Sun and Moon era cards that are from 2017 have an A symbol, cards from 2018 have a B-symbol. And reprints in 2018 also have the A symbol. Isn't that like reprinting. Maybe they say that the set is legal, without - for instance - al cards marked with the A-symbol?