Major 'Pokemon Switch' Rumors Today -- A Breakdown and Analysis!

KeoKeo

Aspiring Trainer
The option to choose which M Charizard to evolve into doesn't actually sound that bad; I love Charizard Y's weather based power, but it's very situational (especially when Tyranitar is running around and sandstorming everything), so being able to choose whether I want M Charizard X or Y is nice- even if M Charizard specializes in Physical attacks rather than Specials. ( mixed M Charizard anyone?)

Sharkrai

Aspiring Trainer
They're keeping it to Kanto Pokemon only for this game. That includes Alolan formes since they're technically Kanto Pokemon, just different formes of them.

But yeah, they definitely confirmed you can't evolve your starter Pokemon (like in Pokemon Yellow). You'll be able to get other Pikachu and Eevee that you can evolve but one of the mechanics of this game is to have your partner Pokemon on your shoulder, not that you can't do that if you evolved them, but they want your partner to stay the same form the entire game since there are mechanics exclusive to them, such as finding hidden items.

As for Eevee's evolutions, you'll only be able to evolve into it's Gen 1 evolutions. While every remake has allowed you to evolve to Eevee's most recent evolutions, this isn't exactly a remake, and even Nintendo considers it more of a spin-off.
I can see that, thanks. Wish I could have gotten my Glaceon, but Alolan Vulpix more than makes up for the lack of Glaceon for me.

As for spin-off, they did call it a main series game (and I'm not sure what the English ver said, but the Japanese ver of the press conference said it is based on Yellow, so I guess in a sense it isnt a remake, but it is at the same time? Haha they need to be clearer), so I dont think they consider it a spin-off. In my opinion, I see is somewhere in between. Not quite the same as a core series game, but also not quite a spin-off because it is much closer to what the core games are like than other spin-offs.

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
Very nice. I'm stilling waiting for information on where we can find Safari Pokemon since there isn't a safari anymore. Otherwise very nice. I definitely love the coverage that Eevee has now and it's nice to know that despite these being remakes, HMs are eliminated from this game as well.

As for the limited edition console, I'll probably wait until the Gen 8 games to see if they release a limited edition console I'd like. Otherwise the fact that the game is pre-downloaded onto it is a deal breaker for me.

TheRealBro..

Yeah, nice for a change but I'm starting to worry for Pokemon as a whole. They are straying a bit too far away from the core mechanics that I fell in love with long ago. Additions like Mega's and Z-moves were fine if you ask me, but cutting the HM's, and in S/M the gyms? I didn't like it.

I'm looking forward to these games as spin offs. I love Kanto, but let's hope they will return to the base in 2019 without friendship moves, kahuna's (or replacements) and overly childish aspects because this isn't heading in the right direction if you ask me, and that started with X/Y. Pokemon used to be shoddy looking and all about perfectly crafted gameplay. Now it seems to be headed in the opposite direction. Maybe I'm wrong!

fleshrum

Cephalophore
but cutting the HM's, and in S/M the gyms?

I will never play a game with HMs ever again. Probably the single least intuitive part of gameplay imo. Trash that they should've been rid of sooner.

Gyms are played out too, but I agree with the rest of your sentiment.
The focus should be on design, as well as play conditioning. Beating the game doesn't make you a good VGC player (or smogon player either, let's be real, but I think the official format is more fair to nag). Why on earth is this the case? The pinnacle of gameplay for me would be a game where you train in some different situation for the first half. Once your team of six is at level 30, you take on the gym challenge, and each is flat rules, level 30. This is where the plot happens, whatever that entails. Then you have the elite four challenge as endgame content, but not in sequence, more like Red (complete this puzzle/dungeon to find me in the wilderness). And all of the "official" matches are double battles. This would mean that the endgame content serves the overall narrative of the game, i.e. make your double battle team better and breed better mons, more of which are accessible in postgame content, etc.
Whatever is going on here looks pretty dire, and pretty fanservice-y. Glorifying the starter is NOT the way to go.
:/ I am still defending these games, but only halfheartedly now.

TheRealBro..

I will never play a game with HMs ever again. Probably the single least intuitive part of gameplay imo. Trash that they should've been rid of sooner.

Gyms are played out too, but I agree with the rest of your sentiment.

Yeah all right, the HM's were indeed annoying. Maybe that's just my nostalgia talking, but clicking my ready-to-go Charizard that I never caught in S/M just didn't feel right (I miss that good old move deleter ; ) )

I get what you're saying about gyms with that they were getting old, but not because of the formula I think. They just kept making uninteresting gyms that were highly predictable, easy and boring. Why not make dual type gyms, with interesting characters, higher difficulty level and new, clever puzzles? The problem with recent gyms is that they are forgettable, not the gym concept itself. Plus, it's just core Pokemon. Next thing you know they change picking a starter..

Glad we can agree about the direction the games are taking lately. Let's hope Game Freak notices.

Last edited:

RisingRaichuu

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Everstones no longer work for them so just dont trade your kadabra and boom. Still a kadabra
I'm not talking about trading here. I'm talking about the genuine hate towards Kadabra ever since the Uri Geller case, like the fact Kadabra's never seen a card since Skyridge. With a new Kanto game coming out for the first time in years, now's the perfect time to go back to the good old days and make Kadabra great again!