A Whole New World — An Introduction to the Expanded Format

Huh. I thought Buzzwole variants would be more prevalent with cards like Korrina and Super Rod being legal plus the omnipresence of Zoroark-GX...

Great overview/checklist for new players! One thing I noticed is there's no mention of Garb/Necrozma in the tier list. This deck is at least tier 2 if not tier 1 since it has lots of room for techs for any given meta and uses mostly 1 prize attackers. It's tough to play at first but with practice you have an out for any matchup. It's also not seen much online but usage does not equal viability ;)

Edit: and I second that Buzzwole could use some mention as a deck that gets better with expanded cards

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Expanded is by far my preferred format. Partly because I don’t have many good standard cards, but mainly because of fairy box. It’s just so much fun.

I recently starting playing Expanded more, mainly because there's a Regional I want to go to in March and it's Expanded, and I gotta say that it's really fun. It was a bit overwhelming to get into at first because I wasn't familiar with all the archetypes, but now I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on it. This article is a really good list!

Stoutland/Raichu/Goodra sounds like total cancer but why not play ros bannete instead same ability but not stage 2

If goodra hits the field before tools do then Garbotoxin cannot be activates which is the main pirpose of goodra.
I can see you didn't read my post or look up ros bannete either way

Edit sorry I was so tired I forgot that bannete just ignores tool effects your totally right

WOW! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE FREE PREM ARTICLE!
THIS LEGIT HELPED ME SOOOO MUCH!

PLEASE DO ONE OF THESE FOR STANDARD FOR FREE, PLEASEEEEEE!

What about DeciZoro??? I feel like that deck is a bit more prominent than something like goodra/Raichu/Stoutland... or is it more of a standard focused deck?

What is this Raichu Stoutland deck you're talking about?
Essentially the key cards are
Raichu BUS
Stoutland BCR
Lillipup BLW (which is stoutlands basic)
Shining Celebi/celebi ex
Goodra from some set I forgot
Tropical beach stadium

Stoutland is a stage 2 while active prevents supporters from being played
Raichu paralyzes when evolved
Lillipup for an energy takes an item card put in into hand. You attack this way through celebi, which both cards let evos use attack from previous stages
Goodra is another stage two that stop your opponent from playing fool cards mainly used to prevent Garbotoxin
Tropical beach is you $200 stadium card that you play like 3-4 of and helps set up
You infinitely paralyze/supporter lock while reusing devolution spray and vs seekers for stuff like Cassius shauna az all stuff to recycle Raichu a ability and not deck out while your opponent slyowly runs out of cards with no way to shuffle them back in and they can’t attack cuz paralysis loop.

Tablemon did a deck profile/games on his channel on this deck a while back

No one would ever recommend playing this deck costs waaaaay to much and can brick hard

As someone who just got into expanded, this is really going to help me out for Dallas regionals.

Back