News Japan's December Sets: 'Ultra Sun' and 'Ultra Moon!'

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
Why do I feel like you ARE google from pokebeach? Your ratings when it comes to Geodudes are awfully familar to google's...
I love google' channel. I got learned from Card reviews that he did in his videos and he give Wossies as the card's score. Because I am Rhyperior, and Rhyperior fires Geodude, I use Geodudes instead as a tribute to him. My score was different from his, if our score are same, it is unintentional. Good observation,man. You deserve a credit.

Nyan

She/They
I love google' channel. I got learned from Card reviews that he did in his videos and he give Wossies as the card's score. Because I am Rhyperior, and Rhyperior fires Geodude, I use Geodudes instead as a tribute to him. My score was different from his, if our score are same, it is unintentional. Good observation,man. You deserve a credit.

I thought we all assumed he was google :eek:

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death
So the are changing back the 2nd stage fossil to be stage 2. Since the Mysterious Fossil is treated as basic, I'm guessing the Cranisods and Shieldon are stage 1 rather than revived Pokemon.

Seeing how the fossil mechanic returned to this format made me glad as fossil was near impossible to use with the the current format.

Shishigami

Aspiring Trainer
A sad reminder that despite there being a fossil foundation early in the games, that this current generation is the first time without any fossil 'mons since second generation. It was really dissapointing to discover that.

Nistua

Aspiring Trainer
But how do they handle the fact, that there are 2 different fossil mechanics in the game now ? Can you play the new Pokémon with the old fossils ? Can you evolve the old Pokémon from the new fossils ?

Just from the wording on the cards I would say you can play the new Pokémon with the old fossils (Because the old fossils don't specify anything about the card except the name) but you can't evolve the old Pokémon from the new fossils, because the Pokémon themselves would have to state that you would be able to do so, which they don't of course, because they're older. But it's very weird having multiple cards with the exact same name acting differently in the same format (The old fossils are going to rotate out of Standard, but they're going to be in Expanded for much longer.)

Last edited:

Senorsmith

Aspiring Trainer
But how do they handle the fact, that there are 2 different fossil mechanics in the game now ? Can you play the new Pokémon with the old fossils ? Can you evolve the old Pokémon from the new fossils ?

Just from the wording on the cards I would say you can play the new Pokémon with the old fossils (Because the old fossils don't specify anything about the card except the name) but you can't evolve the old Pokémon from the new fossils, because the Pokémon themselves would have to state that you would be able to do so, which they don't of course, because they're older. But it's very weird having multiple cards with the exact same name acting differently in the same format (The old fossils are going to rotate out of Standard, but they're going to be in Expanded for much longer.)

Didn't the old fossil cards specify what pokemon had to be found? Otherwise there would not have been jaw, sail, helix, dome, and old amber. Even the fossil kit specified 3 different fossil cards.
Also, the old pokemon with fossils werent stage 1 or basics, but restored. While new fossils are stage 1 which wvolve from basics. Therefor even the old stadium that lets you flip a coin to put fossil pokemon on the bench won't work

Nistua

Aspiring Trainer
Didn't the old fossil cards specify what pokemon had to be found? Otherwise there would not have been jaw, sail, helix, dome, and old amber. Even the fossil kit specified 3 different fossil cards.
Also, the old pokemon with fossils werent stage 1 or basics, but restored. While new fossils are stage 1 which wvolve from basics. Therefor even the old stadium that lets you flip a coin to put fossil pokemon on the bench won't work

Like I said, the old fossil cards only specified the name, so you should technically be able to use the old Shieldon fossil to put the new Shieldon onto your bench.

Nintendan

Aspiring Trainer
Machamp SF??
For real though, this Rampardos might be a card to keep an eye on. Not all of the format is basics but still very strong vs the decks that are. Hits decently vs evolutions too.

As a side note, I think Bastiodon's attack has your opponent choose who to switch in to. Not that it matters much anyway since you won't be attacking with him. I'd rather go hammers than bother setting up this guy to be honest.

Ilovepokemom

Aspiring Trainer
I'm pretty sure just Golispod GX can run Gardenia. If it had come out sooner, it would be played with Decidueye, but sadly, it didn't.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
Cranisods

where ma Cranisods at

Seeing how the fossil mechanic returned to this format made me glad as fossil was near impossible to use with the the current format.

Me too. Its a shame fossils in general lack power except in very specific circumstances, like Archeops in the TCG and... Armaldo is good on monotype bug teams lol? They have consistently crazy good designs and interesting types.

Alexander Forcione

Aspiring Trainer
So with the old fossil mechanic back, bastiodon is now a stage 2, meaning that shieldon is a stage 1....but technically you could evolve the stage 1 shieldon into the stage 1 bastiodon from steam siege XD weird

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
I'm a later entry into the TCG so this is my first time seeing fossils. A very interesting mechanic, but also a bit awkward since you can't Brigette or Ultra Ball for fossils, or at least that's what I'm assuming granted it is a trainer card.

That Rampardos looks really good, but depends on what's popular really. If anything, he -sort of- keeps Brigetting for basic GXs in check a little. Clean Cut takes a solid 2 hit KO on all stage 1 GXs without a choice band, and all stage 2s with a choice band. Very solid overall.

I don't expect Bastiodon to see much play. I think the only deck where it would have relevance is if played with Dusk Mane Necrozma GX, but all your opponent has to do is play basic energy and it doesn't matter. There is a crap ton of basic energy acceleration going around and pure special energy decks are dying out already thanks to enhanced spammer.

Gardenia also seems a bit unplayable. Our good grass Pokemon right now require 1 or 0 energy (Golisopod GX and Decidueye GX), so you might as well run max potion to heal for more and not waste your supporter for turn. Acerola is already the healing supporter of choice in Golisopod GX since you also get the switch out of it. You would have to go out of your way to attach energy to Decidueye GX just to heal as well. Leafeon GX also GX attacks for only 1 grass energy and it can just heal 50 every turn if it wants to. Sorry Gardenia.

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Gardenia + Leafeon GX = 130 damage heal.
Mysterious Fossil: I’d have to argue with WPM on this one, I think you wouldn’t take a prize. To take a prize, you have to knock out one of your opponent’s Pokémon. Mysterious Fossil, however, is an Item card, and last I checked you can’t take prizes by knockin out an Item card. So I believe that since...
Play this card as if it were a 60 HP [C] Basic Pokemon.
Cranidos: Me likey! For a Stage 2, however. Think: you use Lunala GX’s GX attack an infinite number of times, and if your opponent’s Active Pokémon isn’t Basic, you do 120, not to mention with Strong Energy. It’s really good.
Bastiodon: STOP WITH THE METAL SUPPORT ALREADY! GAH!
Gardenia: Meh.

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
I think Rampardos seems interesting, and it could be fun to test out with Buzzwole! You could put it in and use 3rd attack to get rid of Dusk Mane and Bulu. Bastiodon is just... Ugh. Not in the bad way, this card is good, but WHY MORE MEAL SUPPORT? It's getting ridiculous. I could see it being played in Dusk Mane to get rid of the NEW Solgaleo(The no weakness ability one), and maybe Buzzwole since its most likely gonna be playing strong energy anyways...

See the connection already? They both have ways to attack the other fossils respective deck(Buzzwole with Rampardos and Bastiodon with Dusk Mane)!

Also, that grass type supporter, its eh. Could be useful in Bulu or Golisopod, except not because you want to remove Golisopod from play anyways so another can come in and use First Impression and make a boom, and Bulu has a GX attack that heals all damage. Also Bulu might be obsolete when Dusk Mane comes out, so yeaaaahhh.
Grass is kinda dead anyways.
They realized their mistake with Gardevoir GX and are making outrageous counters.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
If it does turn out that Lileep is coming eventually, I really do hope that someone finds a way to play Cradily from Plasma Blast. Just because of Lifesplosion being that good of an attack name.