News September's SM4 Set: 'The Awoken Hero' and 'The Transdimensional Beast'

Brandonismyfoe

Aspiring Trainer
The KO is irrelevant in most games because you're playing a GX deck, you can play a 7 prize game with it.

Keep in mind that fisherman and other late game recovery supports get harder to use in a meta without vs seeker. You'll often end up discarding it early or end up running through your Leles, which are your only way to pull it on demand.

Good Point! Still feel like that 1 non GX/EX knockout could be something more useful though. Just make sure you have VS seeker in your deck.

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
VS seeker won't be legal in standard at the same time Raichu-GX or this Emolga are unless they reprint it. Otherwise Fisherman would definitely be the superior option.

Coolpilot

Bisharps don't know 'bout my Togekiss
Advanced Member
I actually quite like this Emolga - plays well with a number of Lightning decks, given we're about to lose VS Seeker, making Fisherman far less useful, as well as the fact that energy retrieval is an item card which is bad vs Garb.

I'm also surprised we don't see more simple support Pokemon like these that have free retreat (honestly surprised this one doesn't, actually, given it's an Emolga). Or heck, just more good support Pokemon. Would go a long way toward forcing people to think more about how they choose the Pokemon for their deck, and how they play them (and use their bench) more. Support Pokemon are awesome!

Starsoulklr

'Rolling around at the speed of sound'
For a common rarity I think it's an OK card. Having Volt Switch only costing one Lightning energy for 30 is a good amount of damage making it useful in a limited environment.m The restriction for the switch is somewhat of a bother as it's only other Electrics.

Fun fact another one can one hit KO with Volt Switch.

Eggrolls13

Aspiring Trainer
I actually quite like this Emolga - plays well with a number of Lightning decks, given we're about to lose VS Seeker, making Fisherman far less useful, as well as the fact that energy retrieval is an item card which is bad vs Garb.

I'm also surprised we don't see more simple support Pokemon like these that have free retreat (honestly surprised this one doesn't, actually, given it's an Emolga). Or heck, just more good support Pokemon. Would go a long way toward forcing people to think more about how they choose the Pokemon for their deck, and how they play them (and use their bench) more. Support Pokemon are awesome!
Support Pokémon for any kind of simple effect like this are simply outclassed by everything in the meta. Vikavolt, Metagross, and Gardevoir all directly attach energy for free so stuff like this Emolga isn't useful enough to replace a bench spot that one of those stage 2's could use. Tapu Lele and shaymin are the best consistency support Pokémon we're gonna get so every other consistency support Pokémon (oranguru, octillery, gallade) has to compete with those for bench space, and stuff like Lurantis promo and Volcanion EX are the best sources of damage boosting Pokémon we have. When you think about it, we DO have a ton of support Pokémon that get used right now. And they get used because they offer support with their abilities, not with attacks, which is why this Emolga won't ever get used competitively. It makes you waste an attack and give up a free prize to your opponent which automatically makes it absolutely suck in comparison to ability-based support Pokémon like Starmie and Oricorio.

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
Um no it's not. Fisherman, energy retrieval, and Starmie are all better because they don't waste a turn of attacking and give your opponent a free prize.

Please explain how.
Decks like Raichu GX or Gardevoir where you want energy in your hand

JDA

Aspiring Trainer
Good to see abilities continue to show up. I dont think this card in particular will do anything but it's thematic and thats really nice.

MetaCall

ADVGYM
This is actually NUTS!!! Just imagine this with Gardevoir GX... Guzma w/ Float Stone... Yeah, Let that sink in

Last edited: