Discussion Scizor-GX?

SchwarzFlux

Aspiring Trainer
Is Scizor-GX any good, competitively speaking? I'm very interest in the card (although not more than on my VikaRay deck), but am not sure if it can hit enough to be a good deck. Thoughts?

DragonFang101

Funky China Man
Is Scizor-GX any good, competitively speaking? I'm very interest in the card (although not more than on my VikaRay deck), but am not sure if it can hit enough to be a good deck. Thoughts?
I think it's a pretty decent GX as it stands, especially with an Evolution targeting GX attack, great numbers with Choice Band, and a partner with Dhelmise GRI. But do you have a decklist you want to work with?

Christopher Shehan

Aspiring Trainer
For starters Trivium and MKH are the real deal. Probably one of my favorite bands.
Back to what you asked. Scizor GX is viable in my opinion. I will say it is tough to test pre rotation but after the rotation I think it will be a very competitive. It is a bit of a slow grind it out game.

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
I currently have a Scizor / Zoroark deck built for post-rotation as of this post, and it works fine so far. The GX attack is good for taking out evolution pokemon, as I super appreciate in Zoroark decks that otherwise can't OHKO pokemon at full health by themselves, and besides that Scizor's Steel Wing, even without the ability triggered, can finish off pokemon that have been damaged by a good Riotous Beating. I appreciate the potential of this card but if we're specifically talking about Scizor / Zoroark (at least in my case), In my minimal testing with the deck so far, it's rare for me to actually use Steel Wing in a game, since I would rather go for the GX attack and immediately take out a huge threat. So I currently don't think Scizor's the best partner for him, as I feel Zoroark / Lycanroc overall outclasses the deck since it has the same kind of energy attachments except with a better, more versatile ability that has been proven to be good, and a GX attack with the same kind of damage but with better conditions. I keep mentioning Zoroark in addition to Scizor because Scizor also uses Double Colorless Energy for his GX attack (you could even have a Metal Energy and a DCE attached to Scizor and still use Steel Wing by the way), and you have draw power sitting in the back getting you whatever you please for Scizor. I guess Scizor by himself might be decent, but I'd question his consistency to set up and get going (mostly because of energy attachments since the Scyther can search himself to evolve next turn, which is good), and how he does damage because I feel better, more skilled players probably have a plan to get around the ability. I'll share my list for the deck mentioned above just to note more about what exactly I'm trying to accomplish:

Pokemon: (19)
4x Zoroark-GX SHL
4x Zorua SHL
2x Magcargo CTS (Almost all, if not all, Zoroark decks should be abusing this card)
2x Slugma CTS
2x Scizor-GX CTS
2x Scyther CTS
2x Tapu Lele-GX GUR
1x Oranguru ULP (Recycle resources, have an out to SHL Hoopa)

Trainers: (33)
4x Cynthia
1x Lillie
1x Judge
4x Guzma
2x Apricorn Maker

4x Ultra Ball
4x Nest Ball
2x Timer Ball
2x Choice Band
2x Metal Frying Pan (really good tool for Scizor when you don't need the extra damage)
2x Field Blower
2x Switch
1x Rescue Strecher
1x Enhanced Hammer
1x Multi Switch

Energy: (8)
4x Double Colorless Energy
4x Metal Energy

Perfect_Shot

Armored Core>Elden Ring
At the moment I'm inclined to say no. I've played against Scizor GX several times on PTCGO and what it is capable of is honestly embarassingly bad. Taking 2 Energy to attack with a move that does less than some Stage 1 GX single Energy attacks is pretty bad and the Ability only kicks in when its about to be defeated. Golisopod would be better if you plan to use it with Zoroark, and besides that point it doesn't hit anything that is used at the moment for weakness.

Christopher Shehan

Aspiring Trainer
Pre-rotation it isn't that great. After the rotation I think it will be solid. The meta slows down and Scizor is a slower tempo deck so I believe that helps it out. The only matchup I seem to have the biggest issue with is Malamar.