Games Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Megathread

quakingpunch73

At The Beach
Welcome Newcomers and Veterans alike! This is the PokeBeach Smash Ultimate Megathread!
BMRtcHr.jpg

Super Smash Bros., Nintendo's premiere fighting game series is switching things up!
This thread's purpose is devoted to general discussion around the game. Anything SSBU-related goes! Whether it be memes about the fighters, competitive discussion, discussion related to new modes, the applications of new mechanics, potential mains, and/or new fighter speculation, feel free to post it here! In the meantime, here's a discussion question to start us off:
As of August 8th, 2018, 71 unique fighters have been announced for the game!
Which fighters are you looking to pick up this game?

Blakers

Holder of the Holy Diamond!
I guess I’ll start us off on this!

I currently enjoy playing Smash 4, so when Ultimate comes around I’m definitely picking it up on release day, no questions asked. Honestly, the game could release right now and I’d be incredibly happy with everything in it and I’d play it for days or weeks on end. I was very happy with the Direct today. Even if Simon was leaked, I don’t think anyone saw Richter coming, and seeing Dark Samus, Chrom, and King K. Rool appear as new fighters made my day!

In Smash 4, I main Rosalina & Luma. I enjoy characters that have tools that force the opponent to play your game. Rosalina, Marth, Diddy Kong, and Jigglypuff are all characters that I feel fit this role and they all have good mobility, which is something I always look for in a main. In Ultimate, a character that catches my eye is definitely the new and improved Pokémon Trainer. Squirtle was one of my favorites from Brawl due to mobility alone, and Charizard just feels fun to me in Smash 4, so the fact that he’s supposedly buffed for Ultimate really makes me want to give Pokémon Trainer a shot.

However, I don’t expect Pokémon Trainer will be my main. Rosalina has retained a lot of her good traits from Smash 4, and the new air dodge mechanics should really help her punish game, especially offstage. I would like to stick with her.

I’m blown away at the amount of stages in the game, and I think it was an amazing decision to add in every single competitive stage from Melee. Hopefully the inclusion of those specific stages will convince more Melee players to give this game a try. From what I saw in the Direct, I counted at least nine stages that have been tournament legal, and am excited for what it could mean for competitive play!

I have a lot more to say about this game, but this is already starting to look like way too much of an essay for a forum post at midnight, so I’ll say a bit more after more people chime in. :D

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
image-2.png

Overall I'm hyped, think the last direct really got me. I'm excited by the new characters, all the returning stages over the years and the way the game actually acts like a music player, and for what's still in store! I'm not huge in competitive for the game, but uh, the hype is real there. Once I get my Switch this is definitely going to be a game I'll pick up.

Professor_jplap

Aspiring Trainer
Tbh, I had never heard of Castlevania until last night. Nevertheless, Simon looks so much fun. Dark Samus FINALLY and King K. Rool FINALLY. Really can't think of any more fighters for Smash - Wait - Except for ARMS. If arms isn't revealed in the September/October Direct, I just might eat a Joy Con. Seriously, how cool would Helix be in Smash? My SSBU main might be Inkling. It's mobility is really something special. Regarding fighter speculation, the 4 Champions from The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild would be perfect. Urbosa with great combos, Daruk with heavy power, Revali with amazing aerial attacks, and Mipha stabbing people with the Lightscale Trident

As for the new game modes, Smashdown is brilliant, and Squad Battle is just taking what was good from Smash 4's Smash Tour, and making it it's own mode. Glad Rules are getting the spotlight before anything else, as local libraries seem to make they're Smash tournaments 1v1v1v1 2:00 Time, it's nice to see this is a mandatory thing. Now, what could that green mode be? It looks similar to Smash Tour or Smash Run from the 3ds, but time will tell.

The stage count is great. Do you guys think getting a Gamecube controller for this game is worth it?

Oh, and one more thing: Ultimate is an interesting game, but is that hinting at it being the final SSB game?

Last edited:

Blakers

Regarding fighter speculation, the 4 Champions from The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild would be perfect.
I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that Sakurai probably will not be including them. I figure we have five more characters at best, and it’s been pretty much all fan service so far. There are more popular characters who have not made it in yet, such as Bandana Dee, Rex, and Decidueye.
WHERE'S POKEFLOATS?
Unfortunately, PokéFloats is stuck back in Melee. :(
Do you guys think getting a Gamecube controller for this game is worth it?
If you don’t have a Pro Controller, definitely get the bundle with the GameCube controller and the adapter.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The K. Rool reveal was hilarious. I can't remember the last time I was baited that hard. Sakurai knows exactly what he's doing.

I'm impressed with all the qol changes that have been made so far. I'm a little disappointed that the stage music isn't completely customizable, but opening it up to having them all shared between series is a good step forward.

Simon reminds me of Duck Hunt. His zoning game looks really good. Definitely gonna be trying him out once the new of AFTER LIKE 20 YEARS I CAN FINALLY BE DAISY, OMGGGGGGGGGGG wears off.

I'm hoping there will be a Switch bundle. I still don't have one yet and this would be a good excuse to finally pull the trigger.

Last edited:

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I do smash 4 if anyone feels like kicking this old man's ass on occasion. I don't have one dedicated main but I tend to prefer power characters like Bowser, Charizard, and especially Ganondorf over speedsters like Sheik. I also dabble in Mewtwo, Lucas, and Zelda.

Aside from Daisy I will definitely be picking up Pokemon Trainer again. All of his problems from Brawl have been fixed and he is really good now. Ridley and K. Rool are also two newcomers I'm itching to get my hands on.

Tbh, I had never heard of Castlevania until last night.

I'm choosing not to be offended because I'm pretty sure you're, like, 12, and thus have basically missed out on this series because Castlevania stopped being good when they stopped making them in 2D. There are some titles that I personally haven't played but Symphony of the Night is basically the gold standard when it comes to this series. It's heralded on the same level as stuff like Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time.

I would play the first four titles in order (get a walkthrough for Simon's Quest tho), just to appreciate the series' roots and so you don't get spoiled by the Metroidvania style of the newer games. You don't have to play the other games in any sort of order for story purposes or anything. Honestly just pick a game and go nuts.

Do you guys think getting a Gamecube controller for this game is worth it?

If you want to be on the same level as the pros, then you don't have a choice.

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
My predictions for the roster:

Unique Characters:
Inklings
Ridley
King K. Rool
Simon
Skull Kid
Captain Toad
Geno
Banjo - Kazooie
Tapu Koko

Echoes:
Daisy
Richter
Chrom
Dark Samus
Isabelle
Ken
Tails

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
If anyone is going to echo Sonic, it's Shadow and no one else.

Blakers

I don’t think anyone will echo Sonic. If Sonic gets a new rep, it will probably be Shadow. If it is Shadow, they have a bit more to work with than Sonic’s standard moveset. And there’s no way they’d just throw away the one thing Shadow could do as an Assist Trophy and just make him Sonic 2.0.