Photos: Old Pokemon Fighters Return in 'Super Smash Bros. Ultimate,' Play as Leaf!

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
I don't feel the need to bring back Pichu as a fighter. I mean, he damages himself when he attacks. He's going to be one of the lightest fighters, and he'll be easy KO fodder.

Especially considering his "gimmick" from Melee is returning, and Pichu is destined for bottom-tier.

Considering Decidueye was in Pokken, I think it's a no-brainer for Incineroar to be in Smash, with his Final Smash probably being "Malicious Moonsault" or something like that...
Pichu was actually desighned to be a handicap character for people to use in melee against beginners so its fine if hes bad.

Alolan Vivillon

Aspiring Trainer
I don't feel the need to bring back Pichu as a fighter. I mean, he damages himself when he attacks. He's going to be one of the lightest fighters, and he'll be easy KO fodder.

Especially considering his "gimmick" from Melee is returning, and Pichu is destined for bottom-tier.

Considering Decidueye was in Pokken, I think it's a no-brainer for Incineroar to be in Smash, with his Final Smash probably being "Malicious Moonsault" or something like that...
Well if they decided just to not have Pichu that would suck. If "Everyone is here" is the case, then that means Pichu too.
Plus, I can see Pichu being a lot better then he was previously in the Smash Franchise. Last time he was around rage wasn't a thing, but now it is.
That means the more you combo and play with Pichu, the more knockback you'll be dealing with your attacks.
On top of that, the hitboxes seem to be a lot more tight to where they should be in this game, meaning Pichu being so small can lead to the option of easily avoiding projectiles, avoiding certain smash attacks and powerhouses of attacks ie. Warlock punch.
Without having him to play however, we really have no telling how good or bad he is. Also, with them having less newcomers there is no guarantee of any new Pokemon coming as fighters.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Say hello to literally every Super Smash Bros game ever. They'll all literally updates of each other.
Thats not right at all. Sakurai built for each game outside of this new one a totally new physics engine for each game so they all play uniquley and its also why melee has continued to be the most popular for competitive play. if they were all built upon the original smash; 4 would be the only relevent one and ultimate replacing that.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Say hello to literally every Super Smash Bros game ever. They'll all literally updates of each other.

Yes, it was. There were graphical differences from the each game while adding something more to the game to make it feel new. No one argues the differences between Smash one, Melee, Brawl and Wii U but the differences between Wii U and Ultimate are equal to that of Ultra Moon/Sun. This isn't like what was done between Mortal Kombat nine and Mortal Kombat ten.

Alolan Vivillon

Aspiring Trainer
Yes, it was. There were graphical differences from the each game while adding something more to the game to make it feel new. No one argues the differences between Smash one, Melee, Brawl and Wii U but the differences between Wii U and Ultimate are equal to that of Ultra Moon/Sun. This isn't like what was done between Mortal Kombat nine and Mortal Kombat ten.
This is not at all like Sun and Moon to the USUM games. Those didn't switch their engine, greatly improve graphics, add game mechanics from all the previous titles that weren't in there previously, change the entirety of the gameplay, expand the amount of places to fight, rework previous characters to make them feel completely different, change things like the physics, completely change how many of the previous characters look, the list goes on and on. Smash Bros. ultimate is a complete change of pace from Wii U and 3Ds. I want to know, are you really into competitive Smash or are you casual?

I've been building up my skills over the past two years and learning the in and outs of this game. I may not be the best at fighting, but I do know just about everything about this game and I can see major differences.

crystal_pidgeot

This is not at all like Sun and Moon to the USUM games. Those didn't switch their engine, greatly improve graphics, add game mechanics from all the previous titles that weren't in there previously, change the entirety of the gameplay, expand the amount of places to fight, rework previous characters to make them feel completely different, change things like the physics, completely change how many of the previous characters look, the list goes on and on. Smash Bros. ultimate is a complete change of pace from Wii U and 3Ds. I want to know, are you really into competitive Smash or are you casual?

I've been building up my skills over the past two years and learning the in and outs of this game. I may not be the best at fighting, but I do know just about everything about this game and I can see major differences.

I don't really care about competitive but I'm really good at this game. Most things I do, I do competitively but I don't see what that has to do with anything. It's the same game, with changes. People expect somethings to be different between the two games and everyoneexpected a smash on Switch but this isn't a new game. Most of the things you said could have been done via DLC. We expect changes when working with different chip sets (IBM to nVidia). A new skin for Link doesn't make him a new character. Daisy is a skin for Peach, not a new character and should have been handled the same as the Koopas. Fox's Zero look doesn't make him a new character. These are thing MKX have done with DLC without selling you a new game for changes no one considers worth talking about. The only thing I can give you is Smash 3DS was a mistake.

Alolan Vivillon

Aspiring Trainer
I don't really care about competitive but I'm really good at this game. Most things I do, I do competitively but I don't see what that has to do with anything. It's the same game, with changes. People expect somethings to be different between the two games and everyoneexpected a smash on Switch but this isn't a new game. Most of the things you said could have been done via DLC. We expect changes when working with different chip sets (IBM to nVidia). A new skin for Link doesn't make him a new character. Daisy is a skin for Peach, not a new character and should have been handled the same as the Koopas. Fox's Zero look doesn't make him a new character. These are thing MKX have done with DLC without selling you a new game for changes no one considers worth talking about. The only thing I can give you is Smash 3DS was a mistake.
I can agree that 3Ds was a mistake, but really, unless you've gone and learned everything and started looking as close as you can in this game, you can't really fully appreciate the changes. I'm obviously not going to be able to change your mind with this not being possible to be either a DLC or Updates. This took way more development time then would have been called "Port" or "Same Game". After Smash 4 was released, Sakuri left everything else for his development team to work on and started working straight away on Ultimate. With the massive character design Changes to characters such as Gannondorf, Wolf, Zelda, Mr. Game & Watch, Shiek, and more, there is no possible way that would work as an update for the Wii U. This simply is an entirely different game.

Plus the physics for the game work completely different and more like Melee then Smash 4. On top of that, with the complete changes and additions to previous mechanics that couldn't be seen as an Update, that's just complete overhauls. People need to honestly just look at this face value as a new game and stop debating if it's a minor update or a port. This changes far to much to be simply a port, and if this were "an update" that's like changing Fortnite to PubG. They seem similar enough but they have completely different gameplay and things to enjoy about them. Plus, we haven't even seen this games side content. We have no idea if Ultimate has anything like Subspace, Classic, Target Practice, and anything else that was not in Smash for Wii U.

I'm done debating. You seem pretty set in stone with not wanting to change how you see this.
-Vivillon

crystal_pidgeot

I can agree that 3Ds was a mistake, but really, unless you've gone and learned everything and started looking as close as you can in this game, you can't really fully appreciate the changes. I'm obviously not going to be able to change your mind with this not being possible to be either a DLC or Updates. This took way more development time then would have been called "Port" or "Same Game". After Smash 4 was released, Sakuri left everything else for his development team to work on and started working straight away on Ultimate. With the massive character design Changes to characters such as Gannondorf, Wolf, Zelda, Mr. Game & Watch, Shiek, and more, there is no possible way that would work as an update for the Wii U. This simply is an entirely different game.

Plus the physics for the game work completely different and more like Melee then Smash 4. On top of that, with the complete changes and additions to previous mechanics that couldn't be seen as an Update, that's just complete overhauls. People need to honestly just look at this face value as a new game and stop debating if it's a minor update or a port. This changes far to much to be simply a port, and if this were "an update" that's like changing Fortnite to PubG. They seem similar enough but they have completely different gameplay and things to enjoy about them. Plus, we haven't even seen this games side content. We have no idea if Ultimate has anything like Subspace, Classic, Target Practice, and anything else that was not in Smash for Wii U.

I'm done debating. You seem pretty set in stone with not wanting to change how you see this.
-Vivillon

Take the fanboy glasses off for a sec. These changes you talk about are just slight changes. Pika Libre isn't new. BotW Link isn't new. This isn't the same as a 1:1 port. No one is saying its a 1:1 port of Wii U but the base game is the exact same as Wii U, just with a tweak here and there, new skins and all characters from smash history. These are goods changes, sure but this is just padding. Pokken Tournament DX isn't a new game. It's the same thing with a few new characters, balance fixes, new stages and another game mode - the same thing Smash Ultimate is. Again, this isn't a bad thing but this isn't a completely new game. Calling it Ultimate is oddly similar to what Capcom does with their Street Fighter games. Wait, never mind, that actually makes since. Forgot Capcom worked on this.

Alolan Vivillon

Aspiring Trainer
Take the fanboy glasses off for a sec. These changes you talk about are just slight changes. Pika Libre isn't new. BotW Link isn't new. This isn't the same as a 1:1 port. No one is saying its a 1:1 port of Wii U but the base game is the exact same as Wii U, just with a tweak here and there, new skins and all characters from smash history. These are goods changes, sure but this is just padding. Pokken Tournament DX isn't a new game. It's the same thing with a few new characters, balance fixes, new stages and another game mode - the same thing Smash Ultimate is. Again, this isn't a bad thing but this isn't a completely new game. Calling it Ultimate is oddly similar to what Capcom does with their Street Fighter games. Wait, never mind, that actually makes since. Forgot Capcom worked on this.
This isn't what you call "fanboy glasses". I'm a competitive player, and am natural looking to any changes that completely change it. Havok was the engine that was used for Brawl and Smash 4, this uses Unreal 4. That's already a massive difference, meaning they would have to most likely re-texture and remodel everyone. Even if it doesn't seem that way, that in itself is a massive accomplishment. We have directional air dodging now, which means most likely wave dashing. On top of that we have better punishes for continual dodging, and more. This isn't just an updated game. This is a compiling and revamped version of everything that's in the Smash games already.

There is an astonishing amount of changes, and people look at the visuals and think it's not that much better but it really is a large difference. But there are for more changes then what's to see. Plus, I feel everyone is ignoring the "And more" part of the trailer. There is still more to be seen.

You say "tweak here and there, new skins and all characters from smash history" like that's not easy to do. News flash; it's not. They had to remodel everyone because of it being a new engine. Change numbers to balance everyone and make sure that they don't have major slip ups like in 1.0 Smash 4. This is a massive deal and people are taking the fact that everyone is here as a light thing. It's not. This is the biggest collaboration in video game history. I'm saying these things just so you can possibly understand where I'm coming from. This isn't fanboy. This is what it's like to take an in depth look at everything we are being handed to. Sakurai could have just ported the game but he didn't. Him and his team took the time to make a game that's far better then any of us could have ever dreamed. This is a game perfect for us competitive players and casuals alike. That's not an easy task to do.

crystal_pidgeot

This isn't what you call "fanboy glasses". I'm a competitive player, and am natural looking to any changes that completely change it. Havok was the engine that was used for Brawl and Smash 4, this uses Unreal 4. That's already a massive difference, meaning they would have to most likely re-texture and remodel everyone. Even if it doesn't seem that way, that in itself is a massive accomplishment. We have directional air dodging now, which means most likely wave dashing. On top of that we have better punishes for continual dodging, and more. This isn't just an updated game. This is a compiling and revamped version of everything that's in the Smash games already.

There is an astonishing amount of changes, and people look at the visuals and think it's not that much better but it really is a large difference. But there are for more changes then what's to see. Plus, I feel everyone is ignoring the "And more" part of the trailer. There is still more to be seen.

You say "tweak here and there, new skins and all characters from smash history" like that's not easy to do. News flash; it's not. They had to remodel everyone because of it being a new engine. Change numbers to balance everyone and make sure that they don't have major slip ups like in 1.0 Smash 4. This is a massive deal and people are taking the fact that everyone is here as a light thing. It's not. This is the biggest collaboration in video game history. I'm saying these things just so you can possibly understand where I'm coming from. This isn't fanboy. This is what it's like to take an in depth look at everything we are being handed to. Sakurai could have just ported the game but he didn't. Him and his team took the time to make a game that's far better then any of us could have ever dreamed. This is a game perfect for us competitive players and casuals alike. That's not an easy task to do.

This is why we call them "enhanced ports". They didn't remodel anything. These models existed before hand. No one is saying these things aren't hard. I do this for a living so I know how the game is played. Trust me when I say this is just a port. Enhanced, sure but still a port. Being a competitive player means nothing with Smash Ultimate being a port. I'd seen the game and "over analyzed" it but too much is still the same. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this but I take issue with this being a new game, because it isn't. This is that "definitive" version Nintendo loves. You can play Smash 64, Melee and Brawl as different games. You cannot do the same competitively with Smash Wii U and Ultimate and since you are a super competitive player, it does you no good to go back and play on Wii U.

There is also nothing to suggest this is on Unreal Engine 4. The card has to be show simply because other games on stream do use the engine.

An example. Mario Kart Deluxe is an enhanced port. Pokken Tournament DX is an enhanced port. Nintendo doesn't do 1:1 ports most of the time. They take the base game and add to it. Mario Maker will most likely be an enhanced port. The difference between a port and an enhanced port is the enhanced port is meant to replace the last game. Smash Ultimate is a remaster, the definitive version but it is still the same game.

paulyd84

cooltrainerpaul
It was actually a pretty great Nintendo E3. There was Daemon X Machina which looks amazing, Fire Emblem Three Houses which looks gorgeous and finally Super Smash Bros Ultimate which looks epic. 3 amazing games (not including Octopath Travellers, Pokemon Let's Go and The World Ends With You) got revealed which was pretty awesome. More than what I saw from any other show.

Agreed all the above look good but aside from pokemon and smash the rest will be pretty core.. It was just weird no other big AAA Nintendo announcements like new Mario's, zelda, pikmin, metroid etc, and 3ds???

But rest of shows were really average too - Def smells of a twilight year of ps4/Xb offerings! But super stoaked for kingdom hearts 3 and the RE 2 remake - but what's with all the January 2019 releases lol going to be an expensive month!

Scourge188

Aspiring Trainer
I just hope both y'all realize that this game is running on a completely different engine. So that alone shows that this is not a port or could be done as an update. Also, we don't know for sure if Ice climbers could work with 8 player smash or not on the Wii U, but with what can make it lag already, it can be presumed that it would cause lag with 8 of them, not even adding items.

Even if it is a new engine, the game clearly plays like smash 4. I believe that’s why people think it’s a port

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

JUST KISS ALREADY OMG can you possibly argue about more useless stuff

You will never convince each other, just sit back and kill your friends with Pichu as Lord Satan intended.

Ivysaur looks just as awful as he was in Brawl, Daisy a CUTE and a BEST and I guess purple guy is pretty cool too.

Alolan Vivillon

Aspiring Trainer

You will never convince each other, just sit back and kill your friends with Pichu as Lord Satan intended.

Ivysaur looks just as awful as he was in Brawl, Daisy a CUTE and a BEST and I guess purple guy is pretty cool too.
I've been watching some Smash videos, and yeah Ivysaur seems like he's the worst of the three. The only thing that people who got to play said Ivy had going for them is their aerials are good; besides that Squirtle and Charizard just sound like better choices.

I will gladly kill my friends with Pichu. All hail Daddy Sakurai

crystal_pidgeot

I question the need to have Charizard in the game twice. This is why I hate it when people say they are just pandering to gen one when all they are doing is shoving Charizard down out throats.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I don't think Charizard is his own character anymore but I won't complain if he is.

He still brought PT back, let us play as Leaf, and added Daisy even if she's an unimaginative clone. Hail Daddy Sakurai.

crystal_pidgeot

I don't think Charizard is his own character anymore but I won't complain if he is.

He still brought PT back, let us play as Leaf, and added Daisy even if she's an unimaginative clone. Hail Daddy Sakurai.

I don't know. With them adding all characters in smash history, I can't see them removing any characters. With the addition of the Koopa kids, I don't see why Characters like Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and related characters couldn't be skins. The Koopa kids all have their names and such announced so they could have done the same with the others. Hail Daddy Sakurai.

johnstoneaton

Aspiring Trainer
Last edited: