Discussion Metagross GX

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
First of all, how good of a tech is Dialga Gx?
Second, I'm foreseeing a rise in mill decks after rotation, and if this is the case, is Metagross a good counter? It seems to me that the built in discarded energy recovery that comes with metagross can deal with energy discards, Dawn Wings plus Altar of the Moone would solve Special conditions, and Dialga Gx 'Shreds' through Safegaurd 'Mons.

I used to be a very good player with metagross and I found out you can OHKO their walls with solgaleo GX, two KO hoopa with Metang and energy recycle with metagross so you dont need the cards listed above

I agree Solgaleo is very good with walls, but I still enjoy Dialga because it deals with Zygarde GX, safegaurders, and help set up with Clock up. My only hesitation is the time it takes to get the VS attack fueled, and the subsequent Gardy thrashing you're just ASKING for. My problem with Metang is that Hoopa can Kukui and knock it out before I knock the Hoopa out. Also, I play the Necrozma version, because a Choice Banded Necrozma only does 10 less than Solgaleo, for the same cost, and it doesn't come with the clunk that Solgaleo does.

I think that metagross isn't the deck to play due to the fact it doesn't hit the numbers it needs to hit. It can hit 180 or 250 with solgaleo. The 180 isn't very strong of a number and still forces you into 2 shots. Of you were playing it for the damage output Buzzwole or zoroark which can be much stronger would be better due to the fact it can 2 hit everything also. I think that Solgaleo with rayquazya and solgaleo prisim is the way to go due to the fact you have high damage output, can abuse healing, and is extremely powerful with its damage output. The deck can be a surprise deck as one of its largest counters fire, is dropping out of the format and espeon is slowly diapering from the format.

Dialga: Cute, but not very good.
Metagross already struggles to hit field stability and key numbers (a copy of Kukui and Dhelmise go a long way here), you're better off with Dusk Mane as your backup.

As for mill decks, Sylveon stands little chance as it is. Hoopa can be dealt with through Solgaleo * and Metang in a pinch.

Dialga: Cute, but not very good.
Metagross already struggles to hit field stability and key numbers (a copy of Kukui and Dhelmise go a long way here), you're better off with Dusk Mane as your backup.

As for mill decks, Sylveon stands little chance as it is. Hoopa can be dealt with through Solgaleo * and Metang in a pinch.
As I've said, I play Necrozma/Metagross, damage isn't an issue. My problem with hoopa is my Metagrosses are almost always up t2. Makes it very hard to hit Hoopa without Dialga. I also like Dialga more because it only takes one energy more to take another turn. So I guess this discussion is more about helping me wrestle out my techs.

Back