News Japan's SM6b, 'Champion Road'!

sandsmash23

Aspiring Trainer
I can't see Hau this will see any play, but I'll be Cheren for it nonetheless.
Hau is better.

There's actually a bit of history with these claims. Deck thinning was a relatively underrated skill at the time, so it was somewhat of a trailblazing moment in deckbuilding when Jason K. won 2006 Worlds with 4 copies of TV Reporter and 0 Mary's Request (same thing as Hau). As it stands now, Zoroark already serves as an amazing discard outlet, so Hau is probably the better choice (not that you would play either when Sycamore and Cynthia exist).

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
>Ken Sugimori updating the watercolours to the modern style, instead of upgrading the modern style to watercolours

Unfortunate.

This is a welcome surprise, and now has me hopeful for yet another appearance of Base Set Hitmonchan, after the spiritual reprint in EX Ruby & Sapphire, the straight reprint in DP-era Platinum, etc.

Rindon

Aspiring Trainer
Too bad you have to reshuffle...even with 3 gators and 3 Zoroark gx out...you can still only get 6 water into discard....assuming you have them in hand. Wish it was shuffle up to ??? Not “shuffle all”

Otaku

The wise fool?
Feraligatr has just been revealed from Champion Road! It’s a reprint of the Feraligatr from Neo Genesis, and even features updated artwork by Ken Sugimori!

If even the artwork is updated, then it is even less a reprint and more an update. Not trying to pick on @steffenka as she isn't the only one who misuses the word, but "reprint" has a pretty specific meaning, both in English and in TCG terms. XP

I was so excited, until I read that last sentence of Feraligatrs attack.
Too bad you have to reshuffle...even with 3 gators and 3 Zoroark gx out...you can still only get 6 water into discard....assuming you have them in hand. Wish it was shuffle up to ??? Not “shuffle all”
No guarantees it'll be good but the original was a great attacker because it wasn't too hard to constantly refill the discard pile. Remember, the Ability means you just need good draw and/or Energy search. Edit: Since people seem to be missing it, let me say it clearly: the Ability lets you discard [W] Energy from hand! ;)

This is a welcome surprise, and now has me hopeful for yet another appearance of Base Set Hitmonchan, after the spiritual reprint in EX Ruby & Sapphire, the straight reprint in DP-era Platinum, etc.

They already did that; see Hitmonchan (XY - Evolutions 62/108). :) Or were you just talking about updating the art?

Last edited by a moderator:

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
They already did that; see Hitmonchan (XY - Evolutions 62/108). :) Or were you just talking about updating the art?
I forgot about Evolutions! But I essentially want them to keep reprinting Base Hitmonchan!

I've stopped buying TCG cards, but I've decided to commit to buying any/all Hitmonchan reprints as a one-off discretionary, as they come up.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
If even the artwork is updated, then it is even less a reprint and more an update. Not trying to pick on @steffenka as she isn't the only one who misuses the word, but "reprint" has a pretty specific meaning, both in English and in TCG terms. XP
He, but thanks for clarifying! I'll keep that in mind next time :D

Also, I really like that Sugimori updated the artwork to "modern" style, I think it looks really cool! :D

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
This is good for me. Looks like I won't have to wait for say like a 25th anniversary for Neo series of reprints. If only they made one set with neo reprints soon, I'm jumping back in for pack openings!

AmbientDinosaur

Aspiring Trainer
In an unexpected twist, frickin' Neo Genesis Feraligatr makes a comeback. Apparently, Neo era cards are fair game for Champion Road as well, so all bets are off of what old cards might get to reappear.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
  • Feraligatr - Weird. Its a Neo Genesis one. Good but there are some bad factors:
  1. Stage 2
  2. 10+20X is not enough. Assuming that there are 6 energy in the discard. Then, you Riptide it. You only do 130, which is a standard damage.
  3. You have to return the energies back. Which means you have to do the discarding shenanigans again and again and again until you run out of tech cards. XY cards might rotate a month after this release, so that's means no Sycamore as an ultimate discard tool. Wake and the ability lets you discard 3 W min. We don't have Mt. Coronet for Water-types. So I don't expect much to see high amount of play.
2-3 Geodudes

Alexander Forcione

Aspiring Trainer
Everyone seems to be missing that this lets you discard AS MANY water energy as you want not just once. 1 Ribombee and lady can get you 6 energy at least and you can put the shining legends feraligator in as a back up if you need a turn to pal pad and rescue stretcher.

Nistua

Aspiring Trainer
Everyone seems to be missing that this lets you discard AS MANY water energy as you want not just once. 1 Ribombee and lady can get you 6 energy at least and you can put the shining legends feraligator in as a back up if you need a turn to pal pad and rescue stretcher.
But at that point, why not just play Impoleon ? Both are water stage 2's with an attack cost of 2 and Impoleon is much less combo based and is most of the time going to do more damage.

Even back in neo gen format format half of the reason feraligatr was so good was Trah Exchange. If they reprint that, we are talking !

With Wake and Zoroark-GX this could be pretty fun
With a Trash Exchange reprint it could be even more fun ;D

Last edited by a moderator: