Japan's SM6+ Set, 'Dragon Storm,' Plus 'Champion Road' Mini-Set!

Wechselbalg

brb
This is like the 9999th burn gimmick in the last 3 sets or so. I wonder why TPCI keeps forcing this obviously ineffective "strategy". I guess Pokemon fans like burning things? Idk

Also, no matter how much support they get, as long as Gardevoir-GX remains viable, big 2-prize dragons with huge energy costs will never be good imo. Dragonair looks good on paper with the Altaria reprint but that doesn't mean much when even a tech of Gardevoir (Sylveon) 1 shots it with a Band. Plus when you use Zinnia it means you are already losing so...meh. Noivern/Altaria already exists in Expanded and I think it should remain in that format as it has a lot more tools to work with there. The new Noibat could be a cool addition with Shrine of Memories. Or Shining Celebi, if one really wants to force the concept into Standard.

Last edited:

AmbientDinosaur

Aspiring Trainer
I can see Dragon's Wish into Lady being pretty great for setting up your Dragonite-GX.

On top of that, Volkner can be used to grab your energy for Dragon Claw, along with a Rare Candy!
There may be potential here~

Speaking of Dragon's Wish Dragonair, I think a Dragonite-GX deck might consider a one-of Shining Celebi, so you can use Dragon's Wish in later parts of the game in combination with a Fisherman.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
  • Wela Volcano Park - The Stadium is good, since the meta isn't concern of Spec. Condition and the fact that Players run Guzmas and Acerolas, this card will see no play. 3 Geodudes.

Sua

Aspiring Trainer
Mark my words, I guarantee you that when this set releases that Dragonite will be meta.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I thought Dragonite was bad at first, but with SUM Dragonair and having some way to beat Gardy would make it pretty good. Actually, outside of Gardy weakness, It's really good. Now, are we playing special Energy outside of DCE, because we will need to test and best optimize a list for it. Unit Energy lets the deck play Celesteela, and since the deck might already be playing 4 Choice Band, OHKOing Gardy with Celesteela might be a great answer. Plus, there's even more incentive to run DCE. Now, about a good 1 prize attacker...since we're theoretically running Unit(LMP), basic Energy will probably be 1-2 Lightning and 3-4 Water, just to make better use of Dragon Wish/Zinnia. So... Any good ideas?

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Ah crap, I just realized that we probably get all of these cards in August. Oh well, if I play in the Worlds "yearly open" tournament, I'll get to use some of these before we lose EVERYTHING.

pokeraider123456

Aspiring Trainer
  • Wela Volcano Park - The Stadium is good, since the meta isn't concern of Spec. Condition and the fact that Players run Guzmas and Acerolas, this card will see no play. 3 Geodudes.
burn is also much harder to pull of then poison, most of them you have to manually attack, and evolve to achieve the effect. In expanded poison still is better, with virbank and seviper. let alone switching, evolving, will immediately get rid of it.

Senorsmith

Aspiring Trainer
Knew it! Druddigon with Rough Skin! Was hoping the took was for more damage rather than more counter, but its something!

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
  • Drudiggon - Its ability is very.... common. Nothing too special except being a defensive type... if it has higher HP. Its HP is vulnerable to standard. 3 Geodudes
  • Dragon's Talon - Good on a defensive side for Dragon Pokémon. What I doubt is, you'll lose Choice Band. 3 Geodudes. I still remember the NVI Drudiggon + PLF Rock Guard combo

Zzrrdd

Aspiring Trainer
Dragons talon is interesting, but you'd rarely use it over choice band. Could make the maths right on some non GXs though