Discussion The Gen 8 Rumour Mill

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
There's every chance these are fake, but the rumour mill on Gen VIII starters is now in production. If they are indeed fake, props to the artist because the water starter is just the cutest thing and I would pick him in a heartbeat.
dQRufJl.jpg
MImQ9uu.jpg
GbagGug.jpg

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
If these are indeed fake, someone put a whole lot of time and effort into them.

I feel like these conceptual designs are too professionally done to be fake.

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
If these are indeed fake, someone put a whole lot of time and effort into them.

I feel like these conceptual designs are too professionally done to be fake.
And apparently the Japanese annotations are accurate too.

If someone faked these in their spare team, Gamefreak should hire them.

mirdo

Seagull Overlord and Business Entrepreneur
I mean..
Anybody can draw in a similar style and write in japanese. Let's be honest here.
This doesn't mean anything. And not everything with a "confidential" stamp on it is actually confidential.
I don't believe these.

But i wouldn't mind if they just take the Platypus Design tbh. That thing is hella cute.
The Grass one looks.. not great and the fire one is generic as hell.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The designs are too complex to be starters. They're also all way too big. The water one looks cool though.

Perfect_Shot

Armored Core>Elden Ring
The Platypus definately wins the "Should be next Water Starter" award. The others look bland.

I remember seeing a few of these 'Confidential' stamps in the fake rumor thread, so theres no way these are real but still. Would like to believe that water one....

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
It's a shame that after Nintendo went after Uranium, people are going to be more inclined to use artistic talent to troll instead of to create something. There's only a small number of viable Fakemon-populated fangames, lots of art but the games are in the single digits. That platypus was too pure for this world.

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
Thought it would be a good idea to show the fake starters there have been drifting around 4chan (including the posts from the OP). The first 3 have confirmed to be fake, and I'm 99% sure that the final bunch are fake too.

1519919245305_by_steffenka-dc4p5ge.png

Btw, my choices would be the coral Water Starter, the bear Grass Starter and the goat Fire Starter :p

Last edited:

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
I'd take these over gen 5 starters anyday though to be fair the gen 5 starters are made worse by their final evolutions never have I found all 3 to be so bland or uncool

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
Thought it would be a good idea to show the fake starters there have been drifting around 4chan (including the posts from the OP). The first 3 have confirmed to be fake, and I'm 99% sure that the final bunch are fake too.

1519919245305_by_steffenka-dc4p5ge.png

Btw, my choices would be the coral Water Starter, the bear Grass Starter and the goat Fire Starter :p

Sweet baby boy platypus, fire snake and grass bear would be my picks of those. Some fun Fakemon in there.

At least we have something to talk about during the between-gen drought.

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
That "confidential" stamp is way too suspicious lol
Usually, I would call it fake 99%, but after S&M everything is possible really.

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
Oh god yes, everything is fake until proven real. But as I said good to have something to talk about during the dry season. It probably won't be too long until the rumour mill really starts chugging along.

Perfect_Shot

Armored Core>Elden Ring
It depends on how soon they want to push out the Switch game. I would imagine that they stick with USUM for at least one more VGC format to buy them time to make the new game, though it would be nice to hear something in the months since they've announced Pokemon will be on Switch.

Anime Psyclone

System Failure
If this can also be about where the games are... I'd say Australia, but Africa, Middle East, West Asia, Most of the Americas, and Europe are also unexplored. There's a lot of places left to explore. But if the fake(?) starters are based on animals that actually live there, then I'm sure it's Australia. No other place has a platypus population in the wild.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
If you want to get technical, while platypus are native to Australia, lemurs (the Grass type) are not, so really anything’s possible. (Bunnies on the other hand are pests, so that works in the theme for sure.)

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
If this can also be about where the games are... I'd say Australia, but Africa, Middle East, West Asia, Most of the Americas, and Europe are also unexplored. There's a lot of places left to explore. But if the fake(?) starters are based on animals that actually live there, then I'm sure it's Australia. No other place has a platypus population in the wild.

These are fake as much as I want to protecc that sweet platypus boy.

I can't wait for an eventual region based on the UK where it's never sunny and all the NPCs are apathetic and pessimistic but very polite about it.

pocketmonsterrealm

Fan since Crystal
i dont think these are true honestly. I also think a platypus would be better as a regular pokemon than a starter because you can have branching on types on evolution based on gender. example start as water then if male water/poison female water/ground.
whatever the starters are, i am hoping they will be unique like a playtpus would and I hope for uncommon dual typing.
rumor has it that gen 8 region will be based in spain. I dont know much about that country but after a few google searches just to see an overview it looks like a cool region for inspiration.