News Japan's December Sets: 'Ultra Sun' and 'Ultra Moon!'

unless there is 4 or more tool cards in the evo pack. Then get lucky woth pulling tool cards in pack. Rotom will be worse choice. I believe there is only 3 different tool cards in this set

Only now getting to look over this set.

Order Pad could be worth an investigation. Skyla on a coinflip but not using your Supporter? But the coin-flip might make it hard to justify the deck space.

I like the balance of Boost Energy too. It seems like a fitting reward for players who will attempt to set up three Stage 2s.

Cynthia is quality draw and I'm glad to see Fan Club return so my full arts stay viable :v But I have to say Volkner is the trainer that catches my eye the most. Electric Magnezone decks may actually get up to speed with the rest of the meta thanks to this.

The rest of the trainer cards seem quite niche (Gardenia is a Leafeon deck maybe?). Mt. Coronet is obviously good to great - I can see the Dugtrio deck they are getting at but your entire strategy being so reliant on having the Stadium in place is a risky play.

As for the Pokémon, Leafeon can breathe life into the decks hurt by the FoGP ban. And that Cherrim might be worth a 1-1 line to shore up Volcanion autolosses.

Glaceon-GX is already giving me cold sweats. I love that it is hurting GX/EX abilities only. Might put the impetus back on baby decks if it takes over the Meta. The other GX cards seem DOA with the exception of Dawn Wings Invasion ability. Rush in on a basic is undoubtedly powerful.

The Prism Pokémon offer some great acceleration options. Darkrai/Giratina with Ninja Boy shenanigans should be hilarious (and negate some horrific [P][P][P] costs). Solgaleo / Lunala less impressive but can be useful at many different points in the game.

Not much to see in fire bar that new Salazzle could really be a hindrance.
Luxio lock obviously has some potential but hitting for 30 ain't worth as much as it used to on Seismitoad. And it's quite fragile too. But to stall while you set up (Magnezone maybe?), this could be tiered.

Weavile looks amazing but on closer inspection it's going to fall short unless you can consistently stream them over and over and push target whistles too.

Drifblim is one of my faves so I'm glad to see a rogue-tier deck in the making here. This & Po Town & Gengar maybe?

Bastiodon has an ability worth going the fossil route for.

All in all, this is a solid set. A little something for everyone.

Well Lucario is going to be the chase for this one. Though I can see Gumshoos being a good card for pre-release competition.

Upon further thought, I think Luke/Garchomp could have a place in Expanded.

Not as a dominating meta deck but there are a couple cards in Expanded that makes it somewhat viable: The first being Korrina. Not only are you able to rip the Fighting Garchomp from your deck plus a Rare Candy (or whatever item you'll need next turn), it also searches out Lucario.

Secondly, VS Seeker. More reliable way to use Cynthia and hit for 230 (on EXes/GXes)? Yes please.

You could run the deck as a pseudo Sylv deck, ripping Hammers or Team Flare Grunts to disrupt your opponent but not using an attack. This keeps the deck offensively threatening while being able to play the disruption game pretty consistently.

I'm not sure if I lean towards a 3-1 split, 2-2 split or just all-inning for Fighting Garchomp...

I'll have to do some testing but I'm genuinely excited to try this out.

I have a feeling that Gumshoos is going to be the non-gx king of the prereleases. People will usually always have a pokemon in hand due to thin evo lines and not being able to get pre-evolutions out quickly enough, so 100 for 2 (in a set that is reprinting double colorless iirc) is going to be very useful.

Gumshoos and Lucario look to be the best promos. Gumshoos looks good for damage potential and the viability with Gumshoos GX. Lucario looks to be the best for its computer search ability and potential in potentially really good competitive deck

Lucario won't be good for the pre-release but I cannot wait to play him with Garchomp and Cynthia!

TPCi manager: You know, everybody loves Darkrai. Let's make another Darkarai. It's not like Darkrai is strong right now.

Literally anyone who knows about the Expanded format: Um, Darkrai is actually pretty good in Expanded, and that Darkrai will just make it even better.

TPCi manager: It's decided then. Another Darkrai it is!

Back