'Forbidden Light,' Japan's SM6 Set!

Timmony_tcg

Aspiring Trainer
I think this set will represent an important turning point for TCPi and the competitive game: will we see another reprint of Professor Sycamore? If there were any set in this new block to drop this reprint, it would most logically be this one.

I certainly wouldn’t mind seeing it go, just to see how decks adapt and evolve (and so Standard can be even further differentiated from Expanded). Still, considering we’ve had “Discard, draw seven” effects since the beginning of the BW era, it’s honestly tough to imagine it going...

Marowhacker

@MarowhackerTCG on twitter
This card is really weird... I mean, really weird. Only 1 non-GX attack? Hm. Doesn't seem bad in Metagross, and the GX attack will see play in any deck that plays Double Dragon. Perhaps, with Zygarde alseo coming out, we'll see a double dragon reprint? I hope so.

Skylite

Aspiring Trainer
Shame it's a dragon though.

Nice GX early game spread... Too shame it can't be done early game. Nice first attack for the Metagross-GX deck. Too shame they're not viable now.

Too shame of a card all in all.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Huh. This is uh, pretty underwhelming. Maybe if they gave one of the strongest Pokemon in the game more than 1 mediocre attack, It's be playable. If it were metal instead of psychic discard, this would actually be really good. But the first attack wouldn't even work with Double Dragon Energy, so meh.

SupremeLeaderQuagsire

Aspiring Trainer
Only deck I see coming out of this is Ultra Necrozma/Metagross. Shame the GX Attack is so mediocre.

At least it's ultra pretty?

Last edited:

Asrialys

Aspiring Trainer
NXD Gardevoir in Expanded...

Well, if the translation is really "Energy card," then maybe not...

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Ultra Necrozma GX looks rather decent. With two Basic Psychic Energy and a Metal Energy attached this will hit for a solid 180 and discard both of them. Include either Choice Band or Devoured Field and this card starts to hit numbers. Remeber that energies can be recovered with Lunala Prism Star and the card also has access to Beast Ring to attach two Basic Energy cards from the deck as soon as the opponent took two prize cards.

Gameguard

Aspiring Trainer
1 less energy then his normal has 10 more health does base 10 more n 20 more for each p energy. I see some use but not tier 1

Craig Collier

Aspiring Trainer
I really like this card tbh. I think metagross has a chance to come back particularly with this thing one shot-ing most of the current meta with a CB

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
Ancient Treasure's art loosely reminds me of the Ancient Mew card aesthetic. Doubt it's intentional, but eh. (Has the TCG ever referenced that card's existence in any other artwork?)

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
This is a very odd gx. All up to this point have had 3 attacks or an ability and 2 attacks I think there's gonna be something unique to go with this card.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
  • Ultra Necrozma GX - Too underwhelming. For two energy you may do 180-210 enough to KO Lele and Zoroark. But HOW to get Psychic energy back? That is the huge question for Psychic Pokémon right now. We have Lunala Prism but it's a Prism Star. We have Recycler then Max Elixir it back but its clunky TBH. The GX attack is a weak ver. of Necrozma GX, sorry. Is it me that the first time that the GX got only 1 atk? 2-3 Geodudes.
  • Mystery Treasure - 5 Geodudes, period. Hehe. It can search out Lele right off the bat.
  • Inputs - UN seems good with Metagross because Metagross Plays Metal and psychic energy. Tech 1 of these for consistency. Since it discards Psychic Energy to land damage, we only limited to Metagross and Lunala Prism as options. But the factors on Lunala worries me: 1.)Like what I've said, its a Prism Star, and relies on opponent's bench and discard. 2.) 160 HP is a Big excuse for Lunala to be great. If you make a Speed UN deck, it won't last, considering we have the embarrassing dual-energy attack cost like Dragon-type does. I hope they continue the trend they started in ULP

Last edited:

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
Ultra Necrozma GX looks rather decent. With two Basic Psychic Energy and a Metal Energy attached this will hit for a solid 180 and discard both of them. Include either Choice Band or Devoured Field and this card starts to hit numbers. Remeber that energies can be recovered with Lunala Prism Star and the card also has access to Beast Ring to attach two Basic Energy cards from the deck as soon as the opponent took two prize cards.
Lunala is a prism star, that is a huge problem

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Lunala is a prism star, that is a huge problem

Nevertheless it can reattach a considerable number of Basic Psychic Energy and we also have other means such as Silvally GX and Rayquaza to retrieve discarded Basic Energy.

Regarding the GX attack: Keep in mind that the damage counter placement is not limited to Pokémon GX.