SM5+ 'Ultra Force' Releasing in January!

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I feel like the Ultra Beast cards could have had a bit more put into the layout of the card. That little "Ultra Beast" sign really doesn't do enough for me. Probably because there's a lot of comparison to Team Plasma cards, which, in my opinion do that sort of style better. Even a red border would have been perfect, really. Most cards that are some special gimmick usually have a more interesting layout than just that. I will admit though that the GXs don't have this problem as much but when you compare them to Plasma EXs there's definitely a lot more to those, I think.

That's just me though, I do have a lot of bias towards the Black and White era, and most older cards too so I might just have my nostalgia goggles on.

At least Prism Stars have those really really nice black borders, so it makes up for it a bit.

Sharkrai

Aspiring Trainer
I feel like the Ultra Beast cards could have had a bit more put into the layout of the card. That little "Ultra Beast" sign really doesn't do enough for me. Probably because there's a lot of comparison to Team Plasma cards, which, in my opinion do that sort of style better. Even a red border would have been perfect, really. Most cards that are some special gimmick usually have a more interesting layout than just that. I will admit though that the GXs don't have this problem as much but when you compare them to Plasma EXs there's definitely a lot more to those, I think.

That's just me though, I do have a lot of bias towards the Black and White era, and most older cards too so I might just have my nostalgia goggles on.

At least Prism Stars have those really really nice black borders, so it makes up for it a bit.
Agreed, even a little ultra beast symbol in the background behind the attacks would improve them.

Putting that aside though, I like that snipe attack. Would be good in various metal decks, even as a one of imo. Plus it isn't limited to be one of like prism solgaleo! (Though yes, prism solgaleo is amazing as well).

Toxic

TCG Player and Old Deck Collector
Award for the most specific attack requirements goes to...

Dusk Mane Necrozma – Metal – HP130
[M][M][C] Rusty Nail: 100+ damage. If your opponent has 1 Prize card remaining, this attack does 100 more damage.

Dawn Wings Necrozma – Psychic – HP130
[P] Gulf Stream: 20+ damage. If you have 6 Prize cards remaining, this attack does 20 more damage for each damage counter on this Pokemon.

Xurkitree – Lightning – HP120
[L][L][C] Cable Ram: 100 damage. If you have 3 Prize cards remaining, your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Paralyzed.

Rocket The Shellos

Aspiring Trainer
Because if not, 4 energy could do a whopping 120 extra damage.
And Special energy are not only deliberately hard to seek out and recycle, but incredibly easy to dispose of. There are so many items and attacks that can force the removal of special energy with little to no cost for the user. Not to mention Pokemon with abilities that make them immune to Pokemon with special energy attached.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
  • Dusk Mane - First attack is like Fright Night Yveltal for 1 Energy, and a good typing to hit of for weakness, just in case. The second attack is.. Sometimes good, sometimes not, because it is a 130-HP, One prized, attacker, the opponent can easily retaliate it. It needs your opponent close from winning to do 200. Yeah, 3 Geodudes is the best score.
  • Dawn Wings - Superiorly bad! 130 for 3 Psychic and discards 2, and there are no legitimate energy accel for Psychic Energy, yeah, it's bad. It's too expensive. It can OHKO Garb and Naganadel but its too expensive and hurtful drawback. 2 Geodudes
  • Xurkitree - 1st attack, bad for the reason that it doesn't hit a good weakness, Yeah Ho-oh is weak to Electric and Xurkitree can 2HKO Ho-oh. Not bad for the Ho-oh situation. But the confusion is a clutch. The second atk can be synced by Naganadel's Stinger GX then next turn, Inject power on Xurkitree and you can 2HKO with paralysis. 3-4 Geodudes

FrostyLily

ニャンパス~ (she/her)
Hmmmm. Didn’t think they would do the non-GX UBs besides with Adhesive because a GX can’t evolve into a GX. It kinda seems pointless with these. Unless... maybe Ultra Necrozma GX might be confirmed?

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
Now I REALLY wanna try Xurk + Naganadel-GX. Tell me how that DOESNT have good synergy.

The Energy requirements alone would make it hard to pull off. You need to get three Energy on Naganadel and 2 Lightning and a Colorless on Xurkitree. Without any form of energy acceleration, it would take a minimum of 5 turns to get them powered up.

Turn 1: Attach a DCE to Naganadel (if you're even running DCE)
Turn 2: Attach a Basic Energy to Naganadel and use it's GX attack
Turns 3-5: Attach a Basic Energy to Xurkitree

And that's assuming that you're at a point in the game where using Naganadel's GX attack makes sense. During Turns 3 and 4, you might as well attack with Naganadel since you have it powered up so you might even take a Prize or two which means Xurkitree is not as effective anymore.

I see the synergy but it just think it's extremely situational!

Xeynid

Aspiring Trainer
Beast energy is proof that "Great Ball for Ultra Beasts" didn't need to be as bad as it was.

The non-GX ub's are mostly just bad. 1 energy for a 60 snipe is good, but the rest is awful.

Xurkitree kind of has synergy with naganadel GX, but as soon as you actually manage to take a KO with xurkitree's attack it stops working, so why bother?