Help The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

Karissa

I <3 John Laurens
Ok, so i was considering buying a Fates Collide elite trainer box,but the only card i need is Espeon EX full art. i REALLY want a Raichu GX also and because of rotation,and i need a new card for my deck.so i was also considering a Shining Legends elite trainer box. i could go up to 35$. what should i do? i'm also new,but have been playing tcg a while.

Nebby Baggington

Bag Dweller
Ok, so i was considering buying a Fates Collide elite trainer box,but the only card i need is Espeon EX full art. i REALLY want a Raichu GX also and because of rotation,and i need a new card for my deck.so i was also considering a Shining Legends elite trainer box. i could go up to 35$. what should i do? i'm also new,but have been playing tcg a while.
You should use an outside source to buy both cards in singular form rather than relying on luck. Based off of TCGplayer, the current market value of both these cards combined is 26.95, which is below the value of an elite trainer box, and your set budget of $35

Karissa

I <3 John Laurens
You should use an outside source to buy both cards in singular form rather than relying on luck. Based off of TCGplayer, the current market value of both these cards combined is 26.95, which is below the value of an elite trainer box, and your set budget of $35
thanks Nebby! i actually looked it up on amazon and found great prices.thanks for the help! =D

joffreyspikes

Aspiring Trainer
Don’t do that: Espeon EX is from BREAKpoint!

Marcos-VM

Aspiring Trainer
Yea jeoffreyspikes is right is from BREAKpoint , some good stuff from Fates collide is N , but I don't think it worth the purchase of the elite

missionaryherb

Aspiring Trainer
elite trainer boxes are only a good value if you are buying them for the extra content (box, dice, and markers). Otherwise you can usually get packs at around $3 at card shops.

Nopluu

Aspiring Trainer
Trying to get into the game competitively right now, strictly with the 2018 rotation in mind. I've opened a booster box of Crimson Invasion, just because I liked a lot of the cards in it. I'm currently considering getting a box of Guardians Rising because I like the cards in it as well, and I know that at least some of them are decent. If you think that another set would be a smarter pick, please tell me.

I'm also wondering about how I should pick up some of the essentials that you'd almost always run 3 or 4 of in any deck, such as Ultra Balls, N's, Sycamore's, etc. Should I just buy them individually, or is there a more convenient/alternatively useful box set that contains a significant amount of them?

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
I was thinking about getting a pair of Tapu Lele GX for my deck to replace the Espeon GX's currently in there, because I think Energy Drive and its ability would be far more useful than Espeon's Psybeam and Psychic (the deck also runs Metagross), plus not having to evolve would free up a couple slots for Bridgettes or some other trainer card. But I'm hung up on the high price, and I don't have that much money to spare right now. So, what should I do? Should I:
  • Just get them single? If so, where can I find the best price? What's the best way to try to sell commons to absorb the cost?
  • Buy Guardians Rising packs and sell off non-Lele GX cards to offset the cost or try to profit?
  • Buy packs from some other set and try to profit that way?
  • Is there a promo box or tin somewhere that I could buy that would be cheaper? (NOT World Championship promos, since those aren't tourney-legal)

Tanner_1171

Aspiring Trainer
I was thinking about getting a pair of Tapu Lele GX for my deck to replace the Espeon GX's currently in there, because I think Energy Drive and its ability would be far more useful than Espeon's Psybeam and Psychic (the deck also runs Metagross), plus not having to evolve would free up a couple slots for Bridgettes or some other trainer card. But I'm hung up on the high price, and I don't have that much money to spare right now. So, what should I do? Should I:
  • Just get them single? If so, where can I find the best price? What's the best way to try to sell commons to absorb the cost?
  • Buy Guardians Rising packs and sell off non-Lele GX cards to offset the cost or try to profit?
  • Buy packs from some other set and try to profit that way?
  • Is there a promo box or tin somewhere that I could buy that would be cheaper? (NOT World Championship promos, since those aren't tourney-legal)
you should buy them single man try to ask around firstto see if anyone at your tcgs has one for trade or if u can trade in some cards at your shop, but if all else fails get them online and always get NM cuz sometimes its shade buying from online and at lest u have proof u bought them as near mint so if they are not to your satisfaction u can get refund.)

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
you should buy them single man try to ask around firstto see if anyone at your tcgs has one for trade or if u can trade in some cards at your shop, but if all else fails get them online and always get NM cuz sometimes its shade buying from online and at lest u have proof u bought them as near mint so if they are not to your satisfaction u can get refund.)

I generally avoid anything less than NM anyway, but I'm planning on hitting up a TCG event on Saturday so I'll ask if anyone there has one or two. I might just have to wait for Christmas and/or getting a new job, though :/

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Do we think that shelling out for a Lele is good right now, or should we play the market to see if it goes down?

RobertoBui

Aspiring Trainer
Is getting an Ancient Origins Booster box worth it now? I purchased one recently for $84, I'm trying to get that Koyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza secret rare

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Is getting an Ancient Origins Booster box worth it now? I purchased one recently for $84, I'm trying to get that Koyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza secret rare
Not really, Shiny Koyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza cards from AOR can easily be gotten for less than $20 each if you look around.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
Do we think that shelling out for a Lele is good right now, or should we play the market to see if it goes down?

Unless Lele gets a massive nerf or some other crazy counter, it's going to be like Shamin; $50-ish until it rotates.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
Sit on the money until Ultra Prism comes out. Maybe pick up a few singles of the nicer cards in your decks that see a lot of play.

Bergonzilla

Aspiring Trainer
Sit on the money until Ultra Prism comes out. Maybe pick up a few singles of the nicer cards in your decks that see a lot of play.

I second that. The meta game will likely change once ultra prism comes out. I'd just wait and see what happens first.