News Japan's December Sets: 'Ultra Sun' and 'Ultra Moon!'

GoldenYungoos

A shiny Yungoos appeared!
Whoah! that shaymin sky forme will completely break the meta! 20 damage only for one colorless energy? I just can't believe why such a broken attack would use colorless energy, making it a splashable tech into any deck!

Nistua

Aspiring Trainer
Is this just me, or does 100HP look a little weird on a Shieldon ? I guess it fits because it's an evolved Pokémon, but it's still a little bit weird.

treyh37

Watcher of Thorns
previous versions of shieldon had 80 or 90 hp 100 isn't that much of a change when hp in general has gone up.

anyway glad we are back to mysterious fossil/named fossils instead of restored poke, the restored mechanic was just too clunky without enough support to make it worth it (maybe if they had kept twist mountain in play).

still the change back brings a few questions, like can we rare candy from mysterious fossil to a stage 2 that currently only have restored stage 1s like carracosta/archeops. What about ones that evolved from mysterious fossil back in the day like kabuto/omanyte, can they only rare candy in unlimited and have to wait for a new print of the stage 1 in standard/expanded.

edit: forgot rare candy is basic->stage 2 and the restored stage makes the BW-XY era fossils end at stage 1 (not counting break evo)

Last edited:

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
Is this just me, or does 100HP look a little weird on a Shieldon ? I guess it fits because it's an evolved Pokémon, but it's still a little bit weird.
100 is common for heavy Pokémon like Shieldon and Rhydon, ma boi.

Seems interesting that how Fossil mechanic works

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
The important thing to know is that shieldon doesn't have a retreat cost of 3, it's 2. Which means you can't search it with Heavy Ball. Boo.....

Artifactor

Poet lost in static.
sine the fossil is a basic pokemon and the evolved pokemon are stage 2 pokemon that eventually evolve from the fossils, doesn't that mean you can use rare candy on the fossil?

CESit

Aspiring Trainer
I have some questions that I guess can only be answered once the sets are officially legal and with official rulings.

Can stage 1 Shieldon actually evolve into Stage 1 Bastiodon?

And can you use a rare candy on a mysterious fossil in order to evolve into a Stage 1 Bastiodon? (I am using Bastiodon as the example, but any fossil would work). Also if there are no lets say lileeps in this set, since this mysterious fossil is intended to have lileeps evolve from it in the future, can we go ahead and use a rare candy on a mysterious fossil to evolve into a cradily even if a SM era Lileep and Cradily aren't out yet? [Plasma blast in expanded has a Cradily IE]

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
I have some questions that I guess can only be answered once the sets are officially legal and with official rulings.

Can stage 1 Shieldon actually evolve into Stage 1 Bastiodon?

And can you use a rare candy on a mysterious fossil in order to evolve into a Stage 1 Bastiodon? (I am using Bastiodon as the example, but any fossil would work). Also if there are no lets say lileeps in this set, since this mysterious fossil is intended to have lileeps evolve from it in the future, can we go ahead and use a rare candy on a mysterious fossil to evolve into a cradily even if a SM era Lileep and Cradily aren't out yet? [Plasma blast in expanded has a Cradily IE]

You cannot Rare Candy into a Stage 1 Bastiodon (STS), but you can Rare Candy into the SM5 Stage 2 Bastidion. Rare Candy specifies it must be a Stage 2 evolution. You also cannot Rare Candy into PLB Cradily because it's a Stage 1.

Stage 1 Shieldon can evolve into Stage 1 Bastiodon. Bastiodon says "Evolves from Shieldon" which means it can evolve from any Shieldon card.

The Psychic Sorcerer

Aspiring Trainer
Yessssssssssssss
Actually no because rare candys text is "
Choose 1 of your Basic Pokemon in play. If you have a Stage 2 card in your hand that evolves from that Pokemon, put that card on the Basic Pokemon.(This counts as evolving that Pokemon.) You can't use this card during your first turn or on a Basic Pokemon that was put into play this turn." And restored fossil is a trainer not a pokemon.

joffreyspikes

Aspiring Trainer
Actually no because rare candys text is "
Choose 1 of your Basic Pokemon in play. If you have a Stage 2 card in your hand that evolves from that Pokemon, put that card on the Basic Pokemon.(This counts as evolving that Pokemon.) You can't use this card during your first turn or on a Basic Pokemon that was put into play this turn." And restored fossil is a trainer not a pokemon.
It says ‘play this card as if it were a 60 HP Pokémon’. Therefore I would be very surprised if you could not use Rare Candy on it.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
but once you abuse it somebody can play cyrus prism star and sylveon gx and then you are forced to bring it into your hand if they have sudowoodow on their bench.
Doesn't Cyrus only work if your active Pokemon is Water or Steel, not the opponent's?

The Ultimate Umbreon

To Ultra space and beyond!
Can see the rampardos getting play and now it's easier to set up fossil Pokemon we could get a fossil Pokemon GX card soon like Tyrantrum in the next set.

Loaf of Slakoth

BREAD is loafing around!
Ugh...please don’t include some Lost World - type card. One of my old friends used to play this stupid Mime Jr. with that stadium(not competitively)