News Japan's December Sets: 'Ultra Sun' and 'Ultra Moon!'

the synergy of these cards is too good. if somehow you manage to set a garchomp and 2 lucarios you're rolling. but that's definitely going to be a problem, setting up in the first place.

also a shame it can't seem to hit 250 in standard unless i'm forgetting something.

• Cynthia - 5 Geodudes. No need for further explanation
  • Garchomp/Lucario - Lucario's main attack is low and weak (I don't mention Strong Energy because, you know, Kartana.) Both weak to big decks, Gardevoir and Garbodor, respectively. Very nice RCs. On Garchomp, since Cynthia will be your "N" every turn, especially N and Sycamore are gone next format, you'll able to deal 200-230 damage KOs Gardevoir, but not Cool Solgaleo. That is very disappointing. On Garchomp-Lucario COMBEE-nation, do you want to run a Stage 1 and Stage 2 other from Octillery, Tapu Lele, and Oranguru? Lucario's ability not affected by Glaceon though. 3 Geodudes.

This could actually be really good. Garchomp's attack can hit 230, up to 7 times per game with Lusamine and Puzzle of Time. Just get 2 Lucario out and search for the exact pieces to hit a Cynthia that turn. The key to the deck will be spreading damage around the board with Garchomp's first attack so you can take a turn to play Guzma during the late-game.

These cards remind me of archetypes in Yugioh, where specific sets of cards work together with others for a stronger effect. Maybe in the future we will get structure decks in pokemon based on champions/gym leaders. (Before any neeeeeeeerrrrrrrrds say we had Erika and Sabrina and whatever, those cards didn't really work together it was more like an assorted bunch of barely related junk)

"if you have Garchomp in play, you may search your deck for 1 card and put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck."

GARCHOMP + 4 LUCKY CLOVER + 4 LUCARIO + ORANGURU

This seems like a fun deck.

You probably have to play this with Tapu Koko in order to hit the 250 HP mark in standard format. Solgaleo says hi.

I was thinking about 4 puzzle of time with this deck, but you should really only be needing 3 big KOs which is 3 Cynthias in order to get this done. Even if you prize some of them, you should be able to naturally pull Cynthias out of your prizes after 4 prizes. 4 puzzle of time makes a lot of sense, but it also forces you to have to have 1 Garchomp and 2 Lucario in play which may or may not be realistic in terms of bench space and other support you want to run in the deck. 2 Lucario so you can search out 2 puzzles at a time.

Interested to see if the Gibbles, Gabite, and Riolu in the set have anything to help get these evolutions out more consistently other than rare candy & pray. I wouldn't mind having a strong non-GX attacking deck to play in standard format.

We really can't sleep on the fact that Lucario & Garchomp together hard searches ANY card out of your deck. This deck will be all about the cards you play with it other than 4 Cynthia. A lot of options to think about here.

Weakness to fairy is irrelivent since Solgaleo is coming out with this set too.

Also if the holo of Cynthia is coming out in SM5, really hoping for that Full Art in SM5 too.

As far as Supporters go, not including alternate holo reprints, I believe that's correct. After that, there were also the two Team Flare Hyper Gear cards, Head Ringer and Jamming Net in Phantom Forces. So those two are the most recent Trainer holos.

Very interesting combo with these cards! And I like that Cynthia's in the artwork for the Garchomp card too. I'm curious how TPCi's going to handle the rarity of Cynthia, though... Are they going to keep it as a holo, making this staple Supporter (or semi-staple--it depends) more difficult to pull? Or will they be fair about it and make it an uncommon?
That's what I was thinking-are we going to have rare trainer cards, which your right last seen in Phantom Forces, I suppose it's another Shinnoh reference like the ace spec cards too!

This could be an interesting trio of cards for a deck.

4-2-4 line of Garchomp
4 Lucario
4 Cynthia

Could be pretty good in standard, assuming with the major implantation of supporter cards in SM5, maybe just maybe, TCPI could promote this deck with some sort of Prism Star Card that allows you to use 2 supporter cards per turn? Maybe?

Garchomp seems pretty good and not too hard to set up. All you really need is 1 fighting and 1 band, and you're doing 230 damage if you can use Cynthis multiple times. That's probably the trick though, it should be a little bit unrealistic to use that every turn to do 230 every turn, but still, that's potential right there. Find some way of doing 20 more damage, maybe Kukui or Tapu Koko, and you'll sweep pretty much everything.

(Actually I just thought of Devoured Field so your Garchomp does 240 damage at maximum).

But oh my lord they printed QUICK SEARCH PIDGEOT ONTO THIS LUCARIO!!! I've been wanting that kind of effect for this stage 2 format for a long time, you just get to search for your rare candies which is the most important thing, or really anything else to unbrick yourself, maybe a Guzma or something, which is absolutely fantastic! The catch is you gotta have the Garchomp out. Now if only we had the Gabite that searches a dragon-type Pokemon once per turn, but there's Expanded I guess. Still though, getting out 1 Garchomp is fine by me, esspecially if they're all prize one.

I'm sure someone will find a creative build for these cards :)

No need for Altaria in Expanded. Garchomp could work on his own but it benefits a lot from Vs Seeker because in standard he is limited to hit for 200 to 240 (Choice and and Devoured Plain) four times. The deck could also benefit a lot from Counter Energy since it most likely goes down in prizes and needs to maintain a stage two and a stage one at the same time.
Counter Energy! How on earth did I forget about that? :p

Why does everyone think these cards are good? Granted, they look pretty cool, but theyre not that good! IN expanded, your going to get rekt by the speed of decks like trev, NM, and possibly Darkrai, not to mention getting rekt by Toad. You are also playing 2 seperate evolution lines, 1 of which is by the way completely useless withiout Garchomp! Not to mention, Garchomp's TOP damage is 250, and thats WITH Kukui+Choice Band. I think its a little too slow and weak against cards like Garde-GX and possibly soem of these new GX's, plus a FFB'd Basic EX/GX will survive it. IN standard, it might have some use, but overall, these cards are pretty bad.

I don't think it needs to be an uncommon to be "fair". With the amount of new product that gets open these days, staples don't all need to be uncommons imo. This could be a $10 until another print comes out. What is the most expensive T/S/S staple (lowest rarity) these days? $2?
You think a holo staple Supporter sounds "fair" when, if you bought one booster box for around $90, maybe you'll get one--two at most if you get a reverse holo--but you can also completely miss and get none at all? (You only tend to get 6 holos in a booster box, and I bet you there's more than 6 holos in the upcoming set, which lowers your chances of pulling a specific holo.) You think $10 a card is a "fair" alternative for a staple Supporter if you don't pull many--or any--from your booster box or loose packs?

I'm well aware that certain Trainer cards can become very expensive for just being uncommon. But the difference between that and a making this a holo Supporter is the forced rarity. You're far more likely to pull it as an uncommon than you are as a holo. Would you rather pay $40 just for a playset of this? Or would you rather pay $90 and get a playset on top of all of the other Trainers and ultra rares that you'll get in a booster box or even just from loose packs? The latter sounds more "fair" to me.

Disclaimer:
This is my (cynical) view as more of a collector than a player about this hypothetical situation. I'm sure those who are strictly focused on the TCG at the highest level could argue that $40 for the 4 Supporters is a necessary evil if they need them for their deck. It's a different mindset. I just don't agree with it. All I'm saying is that one outcome sounds far more appealing than the other, and it would be greatly appreciated if this was made as an uncommon--not just by me, but for anyone who plays and has a budget. If there's one thing that gets under my skin about the TCG now, it is TPCi's pull rates and their handling of rarities, especially in the Sun & Moon sets. (Which I suppose is two things, but they kind of go hand in hand.) But I'll stop my rant there before it actually starts.

TPCi has been fair to us in the past, though, in terms of taking things that were rare in Japan and making them more common elsewhere. Though this might not be the best comparison (both in playability and rarity), but the best example I can think of is Espeon Prime, Umbreon Prime, and Raichu Prime being in Undaunted. In Japan, they were all extremely rare Promo cards (I forget how they were obtained; possibly had to do with tournaments) and they tended to be listed for hundreds of dollars. (Though, I can't speak for whether or not they sold.) But TPCi decided to put them in Undaunted, same pull rate as any other Prime, and they were super cheap because they were so common. That was very much appreciated.

Useless tirade that no one cares about over. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
These cards remind me of archetypes in Yugioh, where specific sets of cards work together with others for a stronger effect. Maybe in the future we will get structure decks in pokemon based on champions/gym leaders. (Before any neeeeeeeerrrrrrrrds say we had Erika and Sabrina and whatever, those cards didn't really work together it was more like an assorted bunch of barely related junk)
That would be pretty amazing actually. Adds a new way of playing, especially as you favorite gym leaders/champions. I hope they keep doing this.

But more importantly, What the flying F Pokémon!?!? Where's mai Lucario GX?!?! I get teased for some kind of box and now SM5 won't have it?! This is some of that Tauros bull! Also it better be Arceus-damn Fighting-type!!! And i can't get believe I'm saying this being a Metalhead, but I'm so tired of all this Metal support! Psychic, fighting, and especially Dragon need some love!

Why does everyone think these cards are good? Granted, they look pretty cool, but theyre not that good! IN expanded, your going to get rekt by the speed of decks like trev, NM, and possibly Darkrai, not to mention getting rekt by Toad. You are also playing 2 seperate evolution lines, 1 of which is by the way completely useless withiout Garchomp! Not to mention, Garchomp's TOP damage is 250, and thats WITH Kukui+Choice Band. I think its a little too slow and weak against cards like Garde-GX and possibly soem of these new GX's, plus a FFB'd Basic EX/GX will survive it. IN standard, it might have some use, but overall, these cards are pretty bad.

You can't Kukui because you need Cynthia to deal the 100 extra damage.

Garde GX is made irrelivent by Solgaleo GX coming out around the same time as this set, so Dragon typing isn't a problem anymore.

Everyone thinks these cards are good because they are good. You have 230 damage with a draw supporter that everyone is going to play anyway coupled with a Pokemon that can search your deck for ANY card. If those baseline statistics aren't good then I don't know what your standards are.

"Good" and "meta" are two different things. No one's calling this BDIF or tier 1. They're just good cards.

escape board... haven't seen a huge amount of asleep/paralyze decks lately but since float stone will rotate next year at least we get a somewhat useful replacement.

Back