Discussion Make Unlimited Great Again

not a big fan of having to shell out 30+ bucks for a prof oak, could be cool if proxies were a thing, but it would just be a donkfest

You seriously want me to sign this? You are trying to petition to a company, at least use proper grammar, punctuation, etc. and refer to cards correctly.

Tbh I didn't even think of it that way, ill work on it when I get home from work, I was just typing as I thought of it

Making Unlimited an official tournament format makes ZERO sense. The number of people that could adequately compete in it at this point wouldn't support the format, and there's no way they're going to dedicate resources to reprinting cards like they do for Expanded. It's the kind of thing that some stores could do unofficially on occasion if they have an older player base (mine did this once a long time ago), but there is no reason for it to be official.

Also, there's really no reason to ban Shiftry with Forest of Giant Plants and Broken Time Space banned. It's not a particularly strong card on its own. (There's a reason it saw pretty much zero play until Forest of Giant Plants broke it.) I get the feeling you haven't thought this out as much as you should have before making a petition. (Not that I think this is the kind of thing a petition is suitable for anyway. This is a discussion topic, not a "this needs to happen".)

There is another thread on this board where someone is trying to come up with a format for Gen I and Gen II cards.

Unsurprisingly, it is difficult to get people to agree on which cards do or do not need to be banned, as many cards were designed to counteract each other. Just not well, designed, so when you take out one obvious problem, it makes another one emerge. Cost is also an issue; any remotely competitive cards will skyrocket in price if you manage to convince TPCi to start using this for major events.

Can I suggest a better approach? Convince the powers-that-be, for the next major anniversary, to reprint some of the old cards. No, not like Generations. Also not a straight reprint either. Instead, take the most problematic of the older cards, and reprint them balanced for the modern game. Issue errata for the older cards, or at least make it clear that the new replaces the old. Most Pokémon aren't going to be a problem, but we can fix Slowking (Neo Genesis), we can fix all those old Trainers that really ought to have been Supporters, etc.

Yes, I am still holding out for a Supporter named "Professor" that will replace not only the original Professor Oak but Professor Juniper and Professor Sycamore so we can get rid of that silly rule stating you can't run the two together. Just errata them all to make them the same card and watch as fans love how we can now get Alternate Art promos featuring the many, many minor Professor characters in the franchise! :D

the major reason i did this is because i love the modern format in magic so much, cause you can make soooo many decks with the cards available and i hate having to buy new decks just to compete in tournaments thats the reason i stopped playing back in 2008, cause all the cards before diamond and pearl got rotated out and that was 99% of the cards that i owned

What would happen if expanded, or maybe a brand new format, was ex Ruby & Sapphire onwards?

Modern in MTG is 8th edition, released July 2003, onwards, and ex Ruby & Sapphire is released in June 2003.

the major reason i did this is because i love the modern format in magic so much, cause you can make soooo many decks with the cards available and i hate having to buy new decks just to compete in tournaments thats the reason i stopped playing back in 2008, cause all the cards before diamond and pearl got rotated out and that was 99% of the cards that i owned
Expanded looks to be going in the direction of Modern, it hasn’t yet to rotate.
What would happen if expanded, or maybe a brand new format, was ex Ruby & Sapphire onwards?

Modern in MTG is 8th edition, released July 2003, onwards, and ex Ruby & Sapphire is released in June 2003.
This format would basically be Expanded, but with stronger items and support pokemon...

I WOULD SUPPORT THE SHIT OUT OF RS-ON IF THEY MADE IT

it would have 2 of my favorite pokemon, psy shadow gardevoir and claydol ex (both from power keepers, gardevoir was also in ruby/sapphire)

instead of calling it RS-ON they could call it gen 3

I WOULD SUPPORT THE SHIT OUT OF RS-ON IF THEY MADE IT

it would have 2 of my favorite pokemon, psy shadow gardevoir and claydol ex (both from power keepers, gardevoir was also in ruby/sapphire)

instead of calling it RS-ON they could call it gen 3
In a straight RS-on, neither would see play because there are better ways of doing what both of these cards do.

You're naive if you think the format won't change with new releases. I think expanded already disproves that notion. With the exception of Night March, nothing's remained consistantly viable there. "i hate having to buy new decks" isn't a reason a format like this should exist anyway. And if anything, it becomes more expensive, because a new card could come out and make a card released 12 years ago relevant. Look at Archeops. It originally saw almost no play, and now, thanks to Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick, it's banned from expanded. That kind of thing happens on a much larger scale in unlimited.

I see your point but im used to that kind of thing in magic, modern prices are high, BUT you can still use the same deck even if the format meta changes, what im saying is, in unlimited you can buy one deck and play forever or you can play standard and buy a new deck every set

Just an example, in magic devoted druid never saw any play until a card called vizier of remedies was printed, and now its one of the best decks in the format, thats what makes modern so fun, there are so many options

For those looking for an "evergreen" format, encourage the PTCGO "Legacy" Format to become a real thing. The format is just the HS-era releases, Call of Legends, and the BW-era releases. Possibly, they might consider banning a few cards, but for now, its everything from those eras. Yes, Call of Legends is its own thing even though it is mostly a reprint set of cards released in the HS-era: I didn't designate it that way, Pokémon did. XD

Anyway, it might finally be getting a bit stagnant at people finally find top decks that are also stall/control decks, but even that isn't 100% certain. These older cards are harder to obtain on the PTCGO, and we've had a few "final BDIF" candidates show up, only to be dethroned by something else later. For the most part, everything has a counter, and even though several decks are clearly better than others, players adjust and counter them, making room for something else to rise to the top. :)

tbh im thinking about changing it to Ruby/Sapphire on instead of unlimited, it would be less powerful (mostly cause no free draw cards lol) and you wouldnt have to ban too many cards

Back