• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard What Would You Remove from this List for a Tapu Koko?

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
Over the weekend, I posted my Drampa GX/Turtonator GX/Garbodor deck that I finished Top 8 at a recent League Cup with, but it was slightly different than the list posted below. Right before the tournament I removed one Trubbish and one Trashalanche Garbodor for a Tapu Koko and a second Rescue Stretcher. While I really liked the Tapu Koko, I didn't like removing the Trubbish and Garbodor. My thought process was that since I removed a Garbodor, I may as well remove a Trubbish and just add a second Rescue Stretcher. However, I prefer the 4-2/2 line of Garb in this deck, which is what's posted below. I still want to try and squeeze in a Tapu Koko but I'm having trouble justifying cutting anything.

The deck doesn't run too different than your standard Drampa GX/Garbodor build, but it does run the "surprise" addition of Turtonator GX and 3 Acerola. I went into detail about the deck in my League Cup recap so I won't go into it again, but I feel like these are off limits when it comes to making changes. Anyways, if anyone sees a card they would justifiably cut for a Tapu Koko let me know. Or maybe you feel that Tapu Koko isn't needed. In any case, let me know and I appreciate the feedback!

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 2 Drampa-GX GRI 142
* 1 Turtonator-GX GRI 131
* 1 Espeon-EX BKP 117
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 4 Trubbish BKP 56
* 2 Garbodor GRI 51
* 2 Garbodor BKP 57

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 4 N NVI 92
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 3 Acerola BUS 112
* 1 Brigette BKT 161
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 Choice Band GRI 121
* 4 Float Stone BKT 137
* 3 Po Town BUS 121

##Energy - 12

* 3 Rainbow Energy SUM 137
* 5 Psychic Energy 5
* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Explantation for 3 Acerolas? If you really feel like you want to the Koko, I'd say remove one Acerola; unless there is a major reason you need 3.

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
I'd say Turtonator or an Acerola

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but I did say that I felt these were untouchable and here's why:

Turtonator GX - The deck lacks bulk. Without Turt, all of my Pokémon have 180HP or less, which is easy for a lot of Pokémon to hit. While 190HP may not seem much better, I does allow it to live a Choice Banded Giga Hammer from Metagross, a Choice Banded Crossing Cut from Golisopod, and a Choice Banded Berserk from Drampa, while also dealing 80 damage to the attacker if I used Shell Trap the turn before. A Choice Banded Shell Trap also hits Metagross and Golisopod for 100 damage, which brings both down to KO range for Drampa.

Acerola - Acerola works nicely with Turtonator. If my opponent does attack into Shell Trap and my Turtonator gets heavily damaged, I can scoop it up and put it back down and as long as I can get it back into the active I can use Shell Trap again. Acerola is also great for getting resources back into my hand, specifically DCE. There's also been games where my opponent Guzma'd out something to stall and I was able to use a Rainbow Energy, put the damage on my active, and then use Acerola to get that Pokemon out of the active. There's a lot of combos that can be used with Acerola.

Explantation for 3 Acerolas? If you really feel like you want to the Koko, I'd say remove one Acerola; unless there is a major reason you need 3.

I thought about removing one Acerola initially, as it does look like the most flexible spot in the deck, but I run 3 purely for consistency sake. There have been games where I've used all three (much to the annoyance of my opponent), but I like being able to not have to worry about discarding one with a Sycamore or something because I know I have two more in the deck. I feel like it's a card that I need to go all in with or not at all. I could be wrong though. Maybe 2 Acerola would be fine.

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
I'd slash a basic Psychic Energy. It seems like the only thing that seems to be running in disposable surplus. Of course, since I have no personal experience with the deck, you might disagree. This just doesn't seem like an energy heavy deck to me. The only thing you need to attach more than 1 energy to is Drampa.

I thought about removing one Acerola initially, as it does look like the most flexible spot in the deck, but I run 3 purely for consistency sake. There have been games where I've used all three (much to the annoyance of my opponent), but I like being able to not have to worry about discarding one with a Sycamore or something because I know I have two more in the deck. I feel like it's a card that I need to go all in with or not at all. I could be wrong though. Maybe 2 Acerola would be fine.
Ok, I see. Thank you for explaining!

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
I'd slash a basic Psychic Energy. It seems like the only thing that seems to be running in disposable surplus. Of course, since I have no personal experience with the deck, you might disagree. This just doesn't seem like an energy heavy deck to me. The only thing you need to attach more than 1 energy to is Drampa.

I think that's probably my best bet. If I'm having problem with energy I could even swap the Rescue Stretcher for a Super Rod.