News September's SM4 Set: 'The Awoken Hero' and 'The Transdimensional Beast'

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
....how long has super rare energy been a thing? I've been totally out of the loop for a long time, that's just insane lol.

Love the other two.

BeebubZ

yum... Just won a free booster box <3
They look amazing, and im glad the secret rare water energy has been revealed!

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Interesting cards from this set:

• Alolan Marowak: Fire Dance is an interesting attack in Ho-oh GX deck. It is a little less consistent since it relies on the opponent but it can be used more than once if needed.
  • Octillery: Still like the discard attack as a tech in decks that ultilize Octillery and Special Energies anyway.
  • Gorgeist: Pumpkin Bomb is a rather nice attack. To me he is the spiritual successor of Night March and Vespiquen.
  • Buzzwole GX: This card is in essence a Fighting version of Lapras GX and has access to all the Fighting support. The weakness hurts but he is at least a good as Lapras GX.
  • Kartana GX: Nice ability and a decent GX attack to either activate Hala in set up deck or to close out a game by drawing the last prize card that remained.
  • Silvally GX: With Fighting Memory and Psychic Memory he can hit some decks for weakness and accelerate at the same time. Combined with the Regi trio he could be the spiritual successor of four coorners. The GX attack is nice too since most decks tend to have full benches.
  • Registeel, Regice, and Regirock: Metal and Water are a decent weakness to hit and Silvally resolves the retreat issue. Registeel and Regice would be the main attackers and regirock is a bench sitter to fuel them.
  • Kakuna: Sprout is indeed a nice attack since it allows Beedrill EVO to swarm. However since Beedrill needs two attachments to attack it will not be the new Greninja.
  • Magikarp: Although not decent in standard this is a great addition to an expanded Gyarados deck.
  • Milotic: With Tapu Koko around Mercy could be a nice attack in decks that attempt to bench the opponent and disrupt their energies.
  • Alolan Raichu: Surge Surfer provides instant free retreat and Psychic is a decent attack. Could see this in a Golisopod variant to counter Gardevoir GX.
  • Oranguru: Forest Mechanic combos well with Gorgeist and I like the art a lot.
  • Nihilego GX: Nihilistic Light is still a decent ability. Alolan Muk GX can benefit from it and I could also see it in other psychic decks.
  • Miltank: Could be a nice addition to Gardevoir GX decks.
  • Counter Catcher: Nice come-back card and switch effects are great in this game.
  • Counter Energy: Non-GX decks like Gorgeist and Vespiquen and Night March in expanded will love it as an occational additional Double Colorless Energy.
  • Lusamine: Decent one-off card in decks that need a specific supporter and stadium card in standard.
  • Gladion: Decent one-off or two-off card in decks such as Greninja that tend to struggle if specific cards end up being prized.
For me the highlights sure are Gorgeist and Silvally GX. We do not need memories of all the types but a fire memory would be great. Other types such as metal and water can be covered with the Big Basic Non-GX Pokémon.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
....how long has super rare energy been a thing? I've been totally out of the loop for a long time, that's just insane lol.

Love the other two.

Long enough that this Water energy means we have a Secret of every basic energy type now, and that the Metal here is actually the SECOND Secret Metal, lol.

TheRealBro..

Really liked the secret rares of these Sun & Moon sets at first, but after 4 sets it's getting a little stale that you already know every secret rare will just be the Rainbow version of the GX card and some trainers/energies.. They still look good though.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Not mad at the SR cards. Can I have a SR Pidgey now?

Edit

Just noticed the reprint Metal Energy card. Does this mean we will be getting new SR Energy each set just to keep the market flooded with them?

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
Not mad at the SR cards. Can I have a SR Pidgey now?

Edit

Just noticed the reprint Metal Energy card. Does this mean we will be getting new SR Energy each set just to keep the market flooded with them?

I find it interesting that it was Metal specifically that showed up. It, along with Psychic, was one of the first two Secret energy. Maybe they'll cycle through them all again in order? Makes some sense, as it gives a few sets' buffer between printings of them, helping them maintain value a bit. That being said, I don't think multiple prints of these makes the biggest difference ever. Look at the older Secret Rare Rare Candy and Ultra Ball, they're still worth quite a bit. Admittedly the gap is a little larger, but the newer ones also significantly reduced the demand for the older ones.

Rindon

Aspiring Trainer
Not really any wow! Cards. However I do think there are a number of interesting cards. Alolan Marowak, Miltank, Silvally, Regice-Regirock, Nihilego with A-Muk, Kartana vs gardevoir, Gyrados would be better if not for 5energy attack. Kommo-O also somewhat interesting 120 damage for dce as long as your bench less than opponents.

Love artwork on psychic Oranguru!

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
We will expect that in English set, we only see SR Water Energy. That is the only SR Energy we need. Forget SR Metal we already have one.

AlphaVoxel

Definitely still in development...
Forum Mod
I didn't think Warp Energy was in this set... Sadly, there are only a few things I genuinely want from this set, as most of the cards aren't quite as good as one would hope...

Scourge188

Aspiring Trainer
Why a second secret steel? Doesn't really make sense and seems unnecessary. Yet where is the SR double dragon energy. And yes I know we have counter energy, but still

Xeynid

Aspiring Trainer
Glad they're reprinting the SR energies to make them a bit less obscenely expensive.

FA Buzzwole is the greatest card ever printed.

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
I could see Mamoswine being interesting with devolution spray...
Also, I LOVE that blackmail Cincinno!