News New Lycanroc Form In 1.5 Hours?

Dusk form looks fine. It's essentially just Midday form but slightly different; it doesn't feel necessary. I do like the colors, though. But like with the initial announcement of Ultra Sun & Moon, this is underwhelming. And after two solid months of no news and just three months until the games' release, this is the second bit of news that's given. A slightly different Lycanroc Midday form.

I mean, maybe Gamefreak's trying to keep things a surprise until release, which could be nice to discover things while playing through the games. (I'm trying to stay positive since this is neither amazing nor infuriating news.) I know I'll get one of these games on release, but until someone mentioned the lack of news for these games to me earlier today, I had honestly forgotten they were coming out. And that's actually hard for me to forget things like this for a series that I love.

Design choice is underwhelming but not as bad as some people are making it out to be. I think this new form kind of confirms that this games isn't going to get as much development time from Game Freak as other main series games, which was kind of expected. If it has different typing I'll probably use it on my team as in Pokémon Sun I used Lycanroc. If not I'll probably skip on it.

And also, if you know that the Dusk and Dawn forms would look similar to their counterparts(aka LAZY), why make them? What makes THEM special? Just asking...
A user on Showdown pointed this out, but it kind of resembles a transformation between Midday and Midnight Lycanroc. Call it lazy if you want, I like the idea.

I remember a lot of original SM leaks had stated there were 4 Lycanroc forms that were all determined by time of evolution. I reckon 2 were cut and added for USUM

The primary color is almost the same as the shirt I got a few days ago... :p

I really like this new form! :D I'm excited to see if it evolves via some abnormal method like Inkay into Malamar.

Well, it looks like Lycanroc day (which is a good design already), with some night elements.. I get the idea, but wished it would have had a more distinctive look.

WILL NOT EVOLVE WITH A DUSK STONE!!! Pokemon that get new evolutions in later games ALWAYS evolve with a new feature/item that was not available before the game that the evolution is introduced (i.e. Metal Coat, Happiness, in game clock, Dusk Stone, etc.)

This is very interesting. This will be the first time that we get a non-interchangeable form in the sister game(s). They've never done this probably because it means that that Pokemon or that forme of the Pokemon would be unusable in competitive battles as you couldn't get it in the original games. This may mean that Sun and Moon could get an update to allow these new Pokemon to go to the original games (or they could lock the original games or this new forme out of competitive play, either of which seems a little strange).

This is awesome because it opens the door for a lot of possibilities such as more non-interchangeable formes such as Dawn Lycanroc forme and even more Alolan formes (hopefully it isn't just Gen 1 Pokemon getting that awesome treatment). We could even see completely new Pokemon or evolutions.

But this means that Gamefreak either has to:
1: Lock these new Pokemon and non-interchangeable formes out of competitive play until Gen 8
2: Lock Pokemon Sun and Moon out of competitive play and force players to get Pokemon Ultra Sun and/or Ultra Moon
or 3: Create an update for Pokemon Sun and Moon that allows you to trade the new Pokemon and/or non-interchangeable formes to the original games and allows them to compete in battles that involves the new Pokemon and/or formes.

Option 3 seems to be the most likely but if they only introduce a handful of new Pokemon and/or non-interchangeable formes, they may just choose option 1. If they do introduce quite a few new Pokemon and/or interchangeable formes, it's unlikely that they'll choose option 2, since it could alienate a lot of players, particularly younger players

What this means is that we'll see a handful of new Pokemon and/or non-interchangeable formes that it'll be locked out of competitive play or we'll see a fairly large amount of new Pokemon and/or non-interchangeable formes and an update for Pokemon Sun and Moon that allows them to be used in trades and battles.

Either way, what Gamefreak does is going to be very interesting.

Not sure why being interchangeable makes it so different. They've locked out new forms/moves/megas that were introduced in new games mid-gen all the time.
The solution so far has been rather simple: competition rules change the required game to the newest installment.

As for new stuff being "patched" into SM... this isn't a thing (this has been speculated since ORAS added new forms, didn't make sense then and doesn't make sense now). Gamefreak won't give you the fancy new forms for free on your old game, they would like people to buy the new one.

This is very interesting. This will be the first time that we get a non-interchangeable form in the sister game(s). They've never done this

Looking at 3rd gen Deoxys (Tradable)

This is just a a example of how they have done this in the past, its nothing new by far. What they will do is

1. Ban it from competetive or/and make it non tradable
2. Usable in competetive with S/M with same stats/ability as dusk form but will show as either midday or midnight form depending on game. Possibility of making it tradable.
3. Patch the games, which is highly unlikely since they had the technology in XY but didnt use it for reasons.

There won't be a Dawn forme. I guarantee it.

The placeholder on Global Link refers to its forme ID, not how many there are. Every Pokemon is forme 0 in code, except ones with different formes. Midday Lycanroc is forme 0, Midnight is forme 1.

Totems, due to their different sizes and weights, are treated as different formes in the code too. So for example, Totem Gumshoos is forme 1. In the first USUM trailer, we see a Midday Lycanroc in daytime jump with a cinematic similar to those of entrances of Totem Pokemon. So it's safe to assume we'll see a Totem Midday Lycanroc in US. That'll be forme ID 2. It'd also be safe to assume UM will feature a Totem Midnight Lycanroc, which will take up forme ID 3. This leaves only ID 4: Dusk Lycanroc.

Looking at 3rd gen Deoxys (Tradable)

This is just a a example of how they have done this in the past, its nothing new by far. What they will do is

1. Ban it from competetive or/and make it non tradable
2. Usable in competetive with S/M with same stats/ability as dusk form but will show as either midday or midnight form depending on game. Possibility of making it tradable.
3. Patch the games, which is highly unlikely since they had the technology in XY but didnt use it for reasons.

Deoxys's form changed when you traded it between the Gen 3 games. It was Normal form in Ruby and Sapphire, Attack in FireRed, Defense in LeafGreen and Speed in Emerald. What this meant was that Deoxys could get moves it couldn't normally get by trading it to another game, thus changing its form, having it learn moves from that form's move set, and trade it back. Also, when battling a different Gen 3 game with Deoxys, it'd have the stats of it's form from that game but it'd look like the form from the other game.

An example is if you were using Deoxys from Emerald to battle someone with FireRed. Your Deoxys would be speed form but it'd appear to your opponent as Attack form. It'd still have the stats of Speed form but it'd look like Attack form to your opponent. Based on the fact that WiFi battles weren't introduced until Diamond and Pearl, that meant you knew what game your opponent was using, as you both had to be face-to-face and using a link cable, so even if Deoxys looked different on both of your screens, just a quick check of the cartridge they had would quickly tell you what form they were using.

Also, that 2nd option is very unlikely as it doesn't tell you want game an opponent is using when you battle over WiFi. You'd never know what type of Lycanroc you were up against unless they hit with a move exclusive to that form or an ability exclusive to that form activated.

As for the 3rd option, they have the power to do it but it's up to them to if they want to do it. Like I said in my previous comment, they can just lock these new Pokemon and/or forms from trade/battles with Pokemon Sun and Moon, but if they introduce quite a large number of new Pokemon and/or forms, there's a chance of them patching the original games to allow trades/battles with the new Pokemon and/or forms.

• Impressions
Okay! I thought it was a DayLyc, but a DayLyc painted in Orange and having NightLyc's hair called--- DuskLyc. I called it another Lycanroc GX in SM5. What makes me ODDISHappointing is Mr. Sugimori doesn't release the official DuskLyc artwork but it's fine, hehe.
  • Speculations
Stats: High on Atk, Medium in Spe, Medium in Def
Ability: Inner Focus/Sturdy/No Guard (HA)
Shiny: Still Blue
Has Signature move? Yes.
What? I don't know.
Wide Movepool? Yes.

• Hopes
Hopefully it can learn Earthquake.
  • Method
Since a Level 25 Rockruff evolves on either Midday or Midnight based on the game version and the time where it evolves, I think it'll evolve into Dusk Form via Max Happiness or learning something like Rollout.
If you look at the game pics we see it evolving at sunset, so same method but instead of game exclusive it's sunset

There won't be a Dawn forme. I guarantee it.

The placeholder on Global Link refers to its forme ID, not how many there are. Every Pokemon is forme 0 in code, except ones with different formes. Midday Lycanroc is forme 0, Midnight is forme 1.

Totems, due to their different sizes and weights, are treated as different formes in the code too. So for example, Totem Gumshoos is forme 1. In the first USUM trailer, we see a Midday Lycanroc in daytime jump with a cinematic similar to those of entrances of Totem Pokemon. So it's safe to assume we'll see a Totem Midday Lycanroc in US. That'll be forme ID 2. It'd also be safe to assume UM will feature a Totem Midnight Lycanroc, which will take up forme ID 3. This leaves only ID 4: Dusk Lycanroc.

But why would a totem who isn't in the game be apart of SM? They probably put those extra 2 placeholders in to allow them to update the game to allow you to trade between USUM and SM

But why would a totem who isn't in the game be apart of SM?
They're not. Totems are unobtainable so they don't have placeholders. The placeholders are not in the game itself, they are on Global Link. In SM's code, Lycanroc has 2 forme IDs, 0 (Midday) and 1 (Midnight), with no 2 (Totem Midday) or 3 (Totem Midnight) or 4 (Dusk) or anything.

Back