News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

DeDeNNe

Di-Denki Nitro Neon, or De2NNe. Very Lethal
Woah! Marshadow GX can be the next Mew EX, especially since you dont even need to use up bench space. Though rn psychic is quite big so it might not shine to its fullest. Also, in expanded it can go with night march :p

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
Also, will Po Town work if someone were to use Rare Candy?

Yes, it will place the 3 damage counters as rare candy reads “this counts as evolving the Pokémon“, I see no reason why not.
And you did forget Porygon Z in your honorable mentions.
Works well in a Po Town disruption deck.
Can even knock-out some when turned back to basic.:D

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Yes, it will place the 3 damage counters as rare candy reads “this counts as evolving the Pokémon“, I see no reason why not.
And you did forget Porygon Z in your honorable mentions.
Works well in a Po Town disruption deck.
Can even knock-out some when turned back to basic.:D
Yeah, I thought Rare Candy would work I just wasn't quite sure. As to Porygon-Z with Po Town, I like that idea! That could be pretty good especially if you make them de-evolve and then re-evolve multiple times.

Hunga

Oh no! Rotation in sight
Poryon Z can be a tech in some deck as it helps to counter Sylveon, which becomes a one hit for Muk GX for example. ;)

Olimar.Inc

Aspiring Trainer
Well, Marshadow-GX ends up being strong after all. It will be interesting to see how this affects things, Dark is pretty much BDIF in Expanded and this could tip the scales in nearly any decks favor.

Muk-GX is kind of cool, but applying Special Conditions over the long term isn't exactly easy given that Salazzle only applies them on evolution, Ariados is rotating and Hypno is.... Well, Hypno.

Pretty interesting set overall so far, not anything like Flashfire was.
Maybe playing in expanded you could use malamar-EX.

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
I think people are overrating Marshadow. There will be plenty of ability lock to deal with it, Alolan Muk, Garbotoxin, Silent Lab (for wcs at least), ect on top of it being low HP and psychic weak. I'm not seeing much of a reason to play it outside of expanded where it will be quite good in NM as people repeatedly mention and will probably make that the dominant deck since it now hits dark SE instead of being resisted by dark.

Po town suffers the same issue all stadiums that do something on your opponent's turn suffer in a format with field blower, your opponent will typically have 4-6 cards in his deck that can get rid of your stadium before it actually does anything for you which makes it a wasted play.

In terms of what I think will be good, I think people are really underrating Ho-oh-GX by focusing on trying to figure out how to use its GX attack. Why do that when you're hitting up to 210 with band or one steam up on turn 2? Everything with enough HP to survive that is either much slower than Ho-oh/Kiawe or is fire weak anyways. As far as GX attacks go, Turt's GX attack is basically perfect for recovering from a downed Ho-oh. Guzma also works quite well in Ho-oh because it lets you get the Lysandre effect, then switches you out to reset your effects. Switch to something with a float stone, bring it back in and attack again.

People are also sleeping on Necrozma and Weavile, the game is getting more and more spread damage and the baby Lele they revealed awhile back is perfect for that kind of deck. Necrozma will be key at worlds since it hard counters megaray in particular.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
WHOA!

Alolan Muk GX is killer w/ Salazzle(and devolution sprays for effect reuse purposes) + Hypno(BKP w/ ability) + Chaos Tower(to ensure Alolan Muk GX does not go to sleep too) + Choice Band help, as the result is: 10(base) + 30(Choice Band) + 70 * 3(3 statuses: Poison, Burn, and Sleep) = 250 HP!

^ Since it's a Stage 1, though, the Dumbbells could prove a better choice for the Alolan Muk GX, so the question is: Power and knockout before poison and/or burn damage is counted or extra health and knockout between turns to poison and burn?

And it takes only 1 Dark + 1 DCE to do just that...

^ I can see some Alolan Grimer + Max Elixir(to get the dark energy on w/o using attachment for turn) then evolve and DCE shenanigans that could introduce a new metadeck that's a BDIF candidate...

Nyora

A Cat
First comment and YES! I wanna see what glorious spectacular memes I can make from this! :)

EDIT: They don't exist. Honestly this is the worst SM yet. We do have Raticate-A though.

Last edited:

MegaPod_781

Bug Thug
Sandygast looks great, but what's the attack name?? Also gotta add Metapod to my collection. And that Shiinotic looks just creepy. I love it.

Zeno

The Wanderer
Wow, Gyarados's 50x for each Magikarp in the discard pile could be powerful. But might be incredibly awkward as soon as Gyarados is KOed unless it's with something else. Porygon-Z's devolving all of your opponent's Pokemon ability could be insane against a Stage 1 or Stage 2 deck, but it's a Stage 2 as well.

thflame

Aspiring Trainer
I was kinda hoping for decent stage 1s for Charizard and Gardevior. As it stands, they might as well be named "Rare Candy" because that's how worthless they are.

SupremeLeaderQuagsire

Aspiring Trainer
If only Marshadow could copy any Pokémon's attacks in the discard pile, Gyarados could actually be worthwhile...

Cool set, the FAs and HRs are definitely improving greatly, and the Trainers are also useful.

MystikX

Aspiring Trainer
Kinda odd that we got:

A Sawk, but no Throh
A Passimian, but no Oranguru
Another Mudsdale so soon
No Metal Pokemon at all

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
These cards are so pretty ^-^ I need them all

When I was reading the start of the article I read "SR Rescue Energy" and got all excited about some new energy until I realized it meant Rescue Stretcher. Still excited about Rescue Stretcher though.

Don't really see many playable cards yet though. Maybe I missed something. I definitely wanna mess with Seviper a little.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
MY GEODUDES
Disclaimer: I will include the cards in SM2+, since they are part of Burning Shadows. Bear with me, and sorry for my long comment already.Sad face because...No Throh, No Durant, No Zangoose, No Oranguru, and also No Bellosom.
  • Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree - I already mentioned on Butterfree so no need! 1/1/1
  • Oddish/Gloom/Vileplume - Basics rule the format as of now, this could be a stall for them. Guzma a basic and Vileplume and do the thingy. 3/3/3
  • Tangela/Tangrowth - Not good! 1/1
  • Ledyba/Ledian - Not good! 1/1
  • Heracross - It can be a good card, but it is vulnerable to Ability lock. 3 Geodudes
  • Elemental Monkeys - Not again?! Prof. K hates it, and all attacks are GARBODOR. 1/2
  • Laser Dewpider/Araquanid - I already mentioned on Araquanid. 2-3
  • Wimpod/Golisopod - Maybe I ran, 2 Scamper Wimpod and 2 Wimp Out, plus Golisopod is so good! 4/4-5
  • Tapu Bulu - Good Non-GX attacker! 3
  • Charmander/Charmeleon/CharizardGX - Good but too much expensive! 2/2/2-3
  • Heatmor - I just love it. Victini loves it. 2-3
  • SalazzleGX - I already mentioned on SM2+, 110 for 2 is nice. 4
  • Horsea/Seadra/Kingdra - Night Spear for 1 Energy is so, so good! This will see some play! 3/3/4
  • Magikarp/Gyarados - I love it, but some ways to negate it. 2/2-3
  • Marill/Azumarill - Not good! 0-1/1
  • Bruxish - Not good! 0
  • Tapu Fini GX - Good for sniping Shaymins. 3
  • Alolan Ninetales - This will changed the format if it is not been affected by Item Lock. 3
  • Pikachu/Raichu - Good partners with Alolan Muk. 2/3
  • Electabuzz/Electivire - Not good! 1/1
  • Tynamo/Eelekttik/Eelektross - Forget Eelektrik! Eelektross can be good on Tauros, period. 1/1/2
  • Wobbufet - It's gosh darn expensive! 2
  • Seviper - Sad no Zangoose, but it makes Poison better. 3
  • Duskull/Dusclops/Dusknoir - This seems interesting. 2/2-3/3
  • Croagunk/Toxicroak - That was Frog Hop, if you ask me. I already mentioned on Toxicroak. 2/3
  • Slowking - Nobody is a fan of Empty Hand Club. 2
  • Venipede/Whirlipede/Scolipede - Eeww! Too much underpowered! 1/1/1
  • Espurr/Meowstic - N's fave! 6 Points! 2/2
  • Sandygast/Pallosand - Gosh Darn Expensive! 2/2
  • Necrozma GX - Good friend of FFK (Flying Flip Koko). Plus, stops Mega Ray from reigning. 3
  • Machamp GX - Stage 2, too slow, the atks are decent. 2-3
  • Rhyhorn/Rhydon/Myself - I love Rhyperior, but the ability is too hard to get out! 2/2/2-3
  • Lunatone - Nobody cares healing! 2
  • Solrock- Meh! 1
  • Riolu/Lucario - I already mentioned it before.2/2-3
  • Sawk - No Throh ;( 1
  • Crabrawler/Crabominable - Can be deal with Strong Energy, 1 for 80 is awesome! 3/3
  • Mudbray/Mudsdale - Not good! 2/2
  • Passimian - Not good! 1
  • Marshadow GX - I love it. Night March love it, can be tech in any decks playing Basics, the attack is Standard. 4
  • Alolan Ratatta/Raticate - 60-110 for Free is ridiculous! I love it! 2/4
  • Alolan Grimer/Muk - It can deal with Salazzle and Raichu on Spec. Cond. And it can deal a total of almost 300 damage. 3/3-4
  • Sneasel/Weavile - I realized it deal on your bench, Machoke can deal with that. 2/4-5
  • Darkrai - Antoher Non-GX atkr. I love it. Good for Darkrai decks. 3
  • Darkrai GX - THIS IS PHENOMENAL, well it is vulnerable to ability lock but hey, it can deal with that. And also, Darkrai EX makes it better. 5
  • Inkay/Malamar - Eeehh??! 1/1
  • No Metal Types - ;(
  • Diancie - Evo cards, including Broski (Gardrvoir) makes it better, if it is a [C] atk. 4
  • Morelull/Shiinotic - It could be a stall deck, partner it with the Dumbells. 1/3
  • Cutiefly/Ribombee - Good on any decks playing Basic Energy, unli Prof Letter. 4
  • Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir - I love Stage 2s with minimum Energy requirement. It also hates Garb. Nothing to be mentioned more. 3/3/4
  • Noibat/Noivern GX - I already mentioned it before, but because DDE wasn't reprinted yet, it ends up in a Darkrai deck. 3/4-5
  • Zygarde - 0, period!
  • Meowth/Persian - When do we get a Good Persian??! 0/0
  • Porygon/2/Z - it ruins evo decks but running it makes it clunky. 1/1/2-3
  • Hoothoot/Noctowl - The attack is Glance if you ask me. 2/2
  • Bouffalant - Eeehh?! 2
  • Stufful/Bewear - Pair it with Victini can be a Mill deck! Yay! 3/3
  • Acerola - This will change the game! 5
  • Ma Boi Guzma - Better Lysandre! 5
  • Kiawe - Fire Decks with high AC will be broken if you play wisely. 4-5
  • Olivia - For GXs only. 3
  • Plumeria - Sylveon-Freindly! 3
  • Sophocles - Weak ver. Of Sycamore but it makes Darkrai more viable... A bit. 3
  • Wicke - I still don't understand the ruling but I don't think it'll replace N just like Ilima. 3-4
  • Weakness Policy/Escape Rope - Saved by rotation! 3/4
  • Super Scoop Up - I really want this! 5
  • Wish Baton - Exp. Share x3!! 5
  • Poke-Finder - Not good but It'll be 1 Geodude now.
  • Torment Spray - It is random but if the opponent reveals their hand, this will be awesome! 2
  • Muscular Dumbells - In a battle vs. Choice Band, Choice Band wins! 3
  • Mt. Lanakila - I love it, stalls opponents, Wobb loves it! 3
  • Po Town - Salazzle, Raichu, some evo decks that that has one-time ability loves it. 4
  • FAs - the FAs are Gorgeous but still I don't play them. We will find out if Bulu and DayLyc FA will be in the set.
  • Hyper Rares - Same as FAs.
  • SR Fire and Fairy - Confirmed! SR Water in SM3+, hopefully.
  • Midday Lycanroc - ???
  • Midnight Lycanroc - Hurts basics, but it is underpowered. 2-3
  • Burning Shadows - I love this set. This set will be legal in Worlds but it is a center of Rotation. Bye VS Seeker!

Last edited: