News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

Once you put on the Choice Band it's 210 because you have to account for the poison and burn damage, so I think it's more than just "not bad". It's downright lethal. Is there anything in the meta that can confuse from the hand or bench? Add that in and you're slapping Metagross too.
Other than Haunter, there is really no way to apply Confusion without attacking.

I'm actually starting to think the demographic for the TCG is skewing older in recent years, which is why they've been making some artwork like this. I don't have a problem with the artwork personally, I'm just more curious about what these decisions say about the PTCG's demographics and if it's changing (getting older).
Yes, it's a 20-year-old game that was popular with 10-year-olds. Therefore, their demographic is 30+-year-olds. As we remember the fun parts of our childhoods, we (companies) take advantage of that nostalgia.

If we take a picture of a pre-release with players and collectors in equal attendance, the majority here in Chicago is skewed strongly to the older crowd. Heck, look at regionals in Madison. Same thing.

So this game is going to keep up with the trend. I know I am repeating what has probably already been said, but thought I'd chime in.

Other than Haunter, there is really no way to apply Confusion without attacking.

I guess you could run 1-1 Hypno If you needed the knock out... But then you need some way to clear Sleep from Muk to get the damage done. Or run Wishiwashi? Ah, but the ability would shut off if it was asleep wouldn't it?

Wish Marshadow had 10 more hp. But it's ability looks fun. Wish Palossand got a GX, but that Alolan Muk GX looks pretty good to me. Definitely gotta try that out.

This set looks great so far! Here are some of the cards that I noticed:

Alolan Raticate: Slap a Choice Band on it and that's 90 damage for no energy. The new Yanmega is here. Throw in a Salazzle line and some DeVo sprays and you two shot basically everything. FOR 0 ENERGY.

Alolan Muk-GX: Add in Raichu and Salazzle and you hit for 250 w/ Choice Band. Not to mention the +30 from Poison/Burn which makes Choice Band unnecessary. Even without Raichu you still hit for 210 between Poison/Burn and Choice Band. Also, 220HP is the highest on a Stage 1 GX so far. A GX attack that can both buy a turn to set up and power up the main attack. Not to mention its free! Great card.

Marshadow-GX: 150HP is a big setback, and Psychic weakness means a Choice Banded Garbodor one shots with Acid Spray, for pete's sake. However, this will be a great tech for alot of decks and Marshadow/Night March in Expanded will be busted.

Kingdra: This card is great! Magma's Base or the new Po Town and a promo Koko or two and you've got a pretty potent deck. Being a Stage 2, however, is an issue. Will be interesting to test when it comes out.

Po Town: When Magma's rotates, this will be the replacement for Drampa/Garbodor. Other than that, meh.

Mount Lunakila: A debuff to a card that was never that good anyways (Aqua's Base). No ty.

Simisear: Basically just a worse version of baby Volcanion. May see some limited play after baby Volc rotates however.

The secret rares: Loving the artwork here! My personal favorites are Alolan Muk, Gardevoir, and Golisopod.

Everything else: Set filler. Inbefore they drop the best card of the set after I post this :p

Also, will Po Town work if someone were to use Rare Candy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the marshadow gx.... amazing SR's but they reprint escape rope but not vs seeker nice one pokemon

rip my wallet

I thought we were getting full art Choice Band and Full art Energy Loto??
I also thought we were getting:
Salazzle GX and Sophocles
When? Where? HOW?!

Last edited:

We should be. This will be combined with SM2+, which had those two full arts. From what's been revealed so far, there will be 24 secret rares between the three Japanese sets in Burning Shadows, the same # as Guardians Rising (but in Burning, there are 14 hyper rares and 4 energy; in GR there were 15 hypers and 3 energy).

However, it looks like there will be more FA supporters this time (5+ instead of 3), which is a good thing because it's easy to pull duplicates of those when there are only 3.

I also thought we were getting:
Salazzle GX and Sophocles
When? Where? HOW?!

We'll be getting those in our SM3, which is a combination of the Japanese sets SM2+ and SM3. These are just the Japanese SM3 cards.

Marshadow is Fighting/Ghost. It wouldn't make sense for it to be a Darkness type.

As for why people call one full art and not the other, it's to differentiate between them. Rainbow, Full Art, Regular Art. It's easier that way, plain and simple.

Also, Marshadow looks wiiiiiiiicked. Strongly considering whipping up a Night March list for this bad boy. Night Marshadow. B)

My bad, I don't play the newer games, so when I first saw Marshadow I thought it was darkness by default.

Personal Ranking of the GXs in Burning Shadows (Including SM2+)

High Tier (3)
1. Marshadow: Ability is broken, they had to nerf HP and attacks, much like Shaymin, to make it balanced.
2. Gardevoir: SO MUCH SUPPORT. Waifumon is really being pushed here from what we've seen.
3. Darkrai: Ability is good, HP is solid, weak to Marshadow.

Mid Tier (6)
4. Golisopod: There may be a bit of bias here, but I really do enjoy First Impression. That, and HR looks baller.
5. Alolan Muk: Interesting attack, good combo potential with baby salazzle and raichu. Also, a free GX attack that applies three status, although only a guaranteed one on the following turn.
6. Noivern: Item Lock. Yay. Would be great with reprinted DDE and a metagame not infested by Sylveon (and Gardevoir, probably)
7. Necrozma: It can work well with acceleration from Metagross GX, maybe able to replace Shaymin or Drampa in most of those lists. Also, purely Anti-Drampa (will most likely fluctuate in popularity based on Drampa Usage)
8. Tapu Fini: Snipe for Shaymin, and Aqua Patch helps a lot. GX also forces opponent to shuffle a pokemon into the deck, which would be better if you could win with it.
9. Salazzle: Meh. Good for late game if you're losing. Maybe with Ho-oh and Incineroar (my cousin).

Low Tier (3)
10. Ho-oh: Nice recovery and snipe potential, works well with my cousin. Seems a bit too expensive though
11. Charizard: Too expensive. Always has been, always will be. People will still try it though, because it's Charizard
12. Machamp: Attacks are underwhelming and expensive (2-3 colored energy).

This is my opinion, so feel free to respond with your own.

Well, Marshadow-GX ends up being strong after all. It will be interesting to see how this affects things, Dark is pretty much BDIF in Expanded and this could tip the scales in nearly any decks favor.

Muk-GX is kind of cool, but applying Special Conditions over the long term isn't exactly easy given that Salazzle only applies them on evolution, Ariados is rotating and Hypno is.... Well, Hypno.

Pretty interesting set overall so far, not anything like Flashfire was.

Back