News Pokémon Core Title Coming to the Switch in Over a Year!

Rcxd9999

Aspiring Trainer
While this is amazing, my main concerns are:

Owning two Switches to trade Pokemon between to evolve them, will be super expensive and means that we're going to need rather good friends so that we can evolve those Pokemon, especially the Pokemon that evolve when you trade them with an item, like Electivire and Scizor.

And Pokemon VGC tournaments would be impossible. Physically. The 3 Hour battery on the Switch is way too short to be able to compete in the VGC as the tournaments usually go for about 6+ hours themselves. This means that there would need to be a ridiculous amount of recharge stations in the building where the tournament would be held. This means that the VGC might have to go from being physical to digital, meaning that people sign up and compete but they can stay at home.

Otherwise, this is going to be awesome as the Switch will not only give us better graphics, it'll also give us better capabilities, meaning that regions can be significantly bigger, or at least more detail per area. Either way, I really can't wait.

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!
Aren't Pokemon games normally 5 years apart? It should be be 2020 to 2022 that we get Gen 8
Nope, not at all, even if you look at them by generation. Most generations average about three years, with only Gen III (2002-2006) and Gen IV (2006-2010) lasting longer. Including third versions/remakes/sequels, the franchise is almost annual.

Granted, with a Gen VIII release on Switch in late 2018/early 2019, Gen VII could potentially be the shortest generation yet.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
That’s basically the New 2DS it would eliminate the shtick of the Switch, and considering how the Switch is selling Nintendo’s in no rush to make a lower price tag
I'm not saying lower the current switches price I'm saying they will make a more affordable one similar to what they did with the new 2ds to boost the sales of family games most of the switches library is pretty bad right now with one shining 1 player game and one party game(Mario kart) but Pokemon typically requires 2 seperate games to be played thus neccesating a cheaper model of switch. Otherwise Pokemon sales will be lower I guarantee it

Rindon

Aspiring Trainer
I am excited to see Pokemon games on a console. I am hoping that in addition to the graphics there is more open world to roam around in. On the flip side I hope the purchase price of a switch doesn't cause casual Pokemon fans to abandon the franchise. I will have to purchase to gaming machines as my son and I both play regularly. It will be hard for families with 3-4 kids who want to play.

Yog

Rogue
That is unfortunate, idk why they dont want to keep making games for the 3ds, especially when releasing old pokemon games for it. the only vid games i play are pokemon and dnt want to spend 300 dollars just to have the ability to buy a 50 dollar game to play it.

It's almost like they are trying to make you buy the new console. Curse these profiteers!

PIXELMAGE

Pokemon and Anime Loving Memelord
The Nintendo switch was the first Nintendo console I wasn't eager to purchase. I have my own complaints about the console but to keep it short, I feel the DS system is way more compatible for a tactical turn based RPG like Pokemon than the cumbersome and outdated Switch. (I mean come on! It's a wii without miis and a pretty interface that feels like a second rate console compared to the Ps4 and Xbox 1 which came out in 2014.)

I am mostly dissapointed because I am not paying 400 dollars to purchase a novelty console that comes with Pokemon. RIP Pokemon Gen 8

PIXELMAGE

That is unfortunate, idk why they dont want to keep making games for the 3ds, especially when releasing old pokemon games for it. the only vid games i play are pokemon and dnt want to spend 300 dollars just to have the ability to buy a 50 dollar game to play it.
I agree! The 3DS was a great console! The Switch would be a great console if it was made in 2011 (oh wait, that's when the Wii U was released!)

PIXELMAGE

While this is amazing, my main concerns are:

Owning two Switches to trade Pokemon between to evolve them, will be super expensive and means that we're going to need rather good friends so that we can evolve those Pokemon, especially the Pokemon that evolve when you trade them with an item, like Electivire and Scizor.

And Pokemon VGC tournaments would be impossible. Physically. The 3 Hour battery on the Switch is way too short to be able to compete in the VGC as the tournaments usually go for about 6+ hours themselves. This means that there would need to be a ridiculous amount of recharge stations in the building where the tournament would be held. This means that the VGC might have to go from being physical to digital, meaning that people sign up and compete but they can stay at home.

Otherwise, this is going to be awesome as the Switch will not only give us better graphics, it'll also give us better capabilities, meaning that regions can be significantly bigger, or at least more detail per area. Either way, I really can't wait.
Lots of power strips I tell ya...

Lostlorn Forest

Alola is the best region
I highly doubt that it'll be like Gale of Darkness. Switch is a console that can be played by 2. The main Pokémon game usually played by 1 person. You can even dismantle the controllers to do the thingie. If the Switch gives us Gen 8/Gen 4 Remakes, Okay, I'll take it. Not all people as of now own a Switch because it's way too expensive.
Switch is only about fifty bucks more than a 3DS XL

DuoForce

Semi-Ace Trainer
The Nintendo switch was the first Nintendo console I wasn't eager to purchase. I have my own complaints about the console but to keep it short, I feel the DS system is way more compatible for a tactical turn based RPG like Pokemon than the cumbersome and outdated Switch. (I mean come on! It's a wii without miis and a pretty interface that feels like a second rate console compared to the Ps4 and Xbox 1 which came out in 2014.)

I am mostly dissapointed because I am not paying 400 dollars to purchase a novelty console that comes with Pokemon. RIP Pokemon Gen 8
Outdated? Wait? WHAT?! How is the Switch outdated? It's Nintendo's most popular console yet! And did you really think they would stick to the 3ds forever? The 3DS is so obsolete, it can hardly run Sun and Moon without dropping FPS, staying with 3DS is a bad idea and this always happens with Pokemon, Pokemon has never stayed on one console and never will.

Lanstar

The Cutest of Ladies
I don't see much of a problem with this move... Besides, I could see a 50-100 dollar price drop on the Switch by the time that Pokemon game is released anyways.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
It could also be something like Colosseum and Gale of Darkness.

as I've said before: A main game staying on the Switch hurts their primary market and probably won't happen unless we get some cheaper alternative for the Switch. Those of us in Canada are also hurt by the price hike.

Edit:

Someone mentioned it too - Pokemon VGC would take a huge blow. Some of you may not know this but The Pokemon Company isn't the one that accommodates or financially supports VGC events. It's all the judges. Also less people will be able to afford the console. Main series will not move to the switch because it's like shooting yourself in the foot. Some of you might be able to afford it but not everyone - especially Pokemon's main audience cannot afford that.

The franchise would take a severe hit.

Last edited:

Zeno

The Wanderer
Nice! Very interested in seeing whether it's a DP remake or something else entirely. Can't wait to see what's to come!

TheRealBro..

Yes, and perhaps, more than one region. Have been waiting for that since gen 2! It'll probably just be gen 8, but you never know what they have in store for us given the new possibilities a console like the Switch offers.

yammark

Aspiring Trainer
Now I have a reason to buy Switch. I'm pretty sure this is definitely GEN 8. New console + new game + new region + new journey and new Pokemon. I will buy Switch the same day as GEN 8 launching. I think it will release around november 2019.

Sashlyr

Aspiring Trainer
Well, I need to start to save money...

Is kinda fun, just one day ago my bf and I were talking about witch console buy after we move together, and after know about rocket league and the new Pokémon rpg, it was clear.

Sadly, the switch price here is between 600 and 990 bucks (not kidding), and with all the cool games launching this year, I can´t see the price droping soon...

And a Pokémon rpg was a childhood dream, I just want to see it hapen so badly!

Sentret_C

Aspiring Trainer
It could also be something like Colosseum and Gale of Darkness.
Those games are developed by Genius Sonority, not Game Freak.
So my thoughts on this are that I bet they will make a cheaper switch that can only be played portable is is less powerful which will allow families to buy multiple for there kids to accommodate for the high price tag of current switches
Yeah, since it's getting more and more popular, I agree that Nintendo may make a Switch that cannot switch in the future just like they did 2 3DS family hardwares without 3D. And Switch really need a cheaper and more portable version to really take over the role of 3DS.