News 'Pokémon Gold' and 'Silver' Coming to Virtual Console in September!

Woohoo!

I feel more excited about the Gold and Silver release on the 3DS Virtual Console than I do about Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon. I'll definitely be picking these up.

Happy to see it back AND with Bank support! Let's get the trend continued!

It's just short of 2 decades later, and there are still my favourite Pokémon games. I sincerely prefer Pokémon Gold and Silver to HeartGold and SoulSilver, and to pretty much any other game in the series. Is this nostalgia-goggles? Hell yeah, it absolutely is, but that's a powerful force you can't hope to ever overcome.

The fact they're coming out on my *actual birthday* – September 22nd – just feels like the cherry on top of all of it. These games are amazing and I owe so much to them. It's nice to have them back, finally.

Since HeartGold and SoulSilver are still compatible with my 3DS, unlike FireRed and LeafGreen, I think I'll pass on these.

But where's Crystal? :( I digress...

Gold/Silver were the games were I first got to understand how to play; but Crystal was the first Pokemon game (actually first game in general) that I ever beat.

I've still got a working Silver (and Crystal) cartridge with replaced batteries, but I may just have to get one of these. Silver was my first main-series Pokémon game (if not my first Pokémon game) and I still enjoy playing it from time to time. With Pokémon Bank compatibility, I'll be able to preserve my cherished Pokémon (namely Shinies) rather than them going kaput after 10 years.

I wish these, unlike RBY, would have WI-FI functions rather than just wireless local play. They could even add the GTS from the Japanese version of Crystal. Not sure how feasible this would be, however.

Last edited:
This I'm actually looking forward to: Unlike my Gen One Carts which all of the batteries still work for their memory all of my Gen 2 Carts are dead. What's really good is that with breeding being introduced in this one is that you can send your hatched Pokemon instead of your starters. Also if the system is still the same with how getting Hidden Abilities and Natures on Pokemon Transfer it should be easier to manipulate to get what you want.

now if we could just get a virtual console Pokemon stadium 1 and 2 that is compatible with these and red and blue and i could be happy about this

Yay!!! About time!

Now that I have 2 3DS systems, I can get Gold on one and Silver on the other. Gonna play one version with all 3 starters!

Playing this game on my 3ds is a must just for the legendary moment I get to Red and start hearing the best Pokemon battle music of all time:

I have been waiting for this since the RBY ports! Pokemon GSC are my all time favorite games. HeartGold and SoulSilver just seemed to be lacking something to me. I hope they still have the ability to trade with RBY like they did back in the day.

Is this nostalgia-goggles? Hell yeah, it absolutely is, but that's a powerful force you can't hope to ever overcome.

Nope, a little nostalgia maybe, but looking at the basics of what make a Pokemon game great these are the absolute best games in the series. An old school soundtrack (forget the remakes), two regions to be explored with all the classic characters (including team rocket, still the only real villains) being present and nothing feeling forced, recycled or overdone yet.. Yeah, doesn't get any better than that! And yes than there's the nostalgia :D

Nostalgia overload! :D

Pokémon Gold was the very first Pokémon game I ever played. From that moment I became a Pokémon fan...!

Back