News Pokémon Developing New Card App, Nintendo Releasing Zelda for Smartphones!

Zeno

The Wanderer
So it looks like we have barely anything to go off of, but these are some interesting details. I'd love to see PTCGO getting a mobile release aside from just tablets, personally! Who knows what we'll see though. Can't wait to hear more about these in the future!

Blakers

Holder of the Holy Diamond!
Even though it'll never happen, I just want a TCG simulator where you can use any card you want for free...

PrimalLugia

Lugia Prism Star please
I think they are inspired by Konami. Just see how popular Duel Links is. If they remake their GBA titles in a modern smartphone version that would be crazy. I'm sure it will be just as popular. Just put that Base set charizard on the cover and $$$$.

And I can't wait for a smartphone TCGO version :(

Professor Palutena

The Queen
Main series Pokemon is definitely coming to the Switch. Morimoto confirmed last year they were developing for it. It'll only be a matter of when. Nintendo owns a significant portion of the Pokemon IP and wouldn't let Pokemon leave them for smartphones. The series prints money and would help the Switch make even more for the company. The quote from Kimishima confirms this, as the end goal is for Nintendo hardware to be purchased. Pokemon GO helped this, but putting Gen 8 on smartphones has the opposite result.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
Seriously, that Nintendo hate talk?
Like, I also don't want to spend so much money on a switch just to play pokémon but I don't like the idea of main Pokémon games going to smartphones either. Why does everything need to happen on smartphones these days? I honestly like that I can separate Pokémon from other things by having to use it on something else that not everybody has. And the games will become trash if they start being made for smartphones. I'd prefer if Nintendo simply made a new hand-held, cheaper than the switch, to be the successor of the 3DS.
Also, I couldn't care less about casuals. In fact, I despise them. People should not be playing Pokémon if they're not fully invested in it.

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Main series Pokemon is definitely coming to the Switch. Morimoto confirmed last year they were developing for it. It'll only be a matter of when. Nintendo owns a significant portion of the Pokemon IP and wouldn't let Pokemon leave them for smartphones. The series prints money and would help the Switch make even more for the company. The quote from Kimishima confirms this, as the end goal is for Nintendo hardware to be purchased. Pokemon GO helped this, but putting Gen 8 on smartphones has the opposite result.
It's definitely coming to the Switch. My question is: could it also be coming to smartphones?

Kapu Riki

Spilling the T, sipping the Tapu Cocoa
Seriously, that Nintendo hate talk?
Like, I also don't want to spend so much money on a switch just to play pokémon but I don't like the idea of main Pokémon games going to smartphones either. Why does everything need to happen on smartphones these days? I honestly like that I can separate Pokémon from other things by having to use it on something else that not everybody has. And the games will become trash if they start being made for smartphones. I'd prefer if Nintendo simply made a new hand-held, cheaper than the switch, to be the successor of the 3DS.
Also, I couldn't care less about casuals. In fact, I despise them. People should not be playing Pokémon if they're not fully invested in it.

Luckily, Nintendo and The Pokemon Company don't care about how you feel. They thrive on all type of consumers to make their revenue. The casual consumer help push whatever sales needed to make the series continue. People should play whatever they want if they like it; whether it is a hobby or hardcore fan. You are no one to judge anyone's entertainment or investment.

Also, the Switch is more than likely going to be Nintendo's only focus after the 3DS dies out. I am very excited to see how The Pokemon Company makes a mainline game on the Switch. The graphics are going to be awesome. Hopefully, we will get a more open-world game. Or a game that encompasses more regions into one. The Switch is the new console, and just like any other company, Nintendo is going to be pushing towards their new console. Happens every generation. You're going to have to invest in the new console if you want to play the new games. It's how the gaming industry makes it's dough. Sucks, but it's how it works.

As far as the Pokemon smartphone app, I hope it is a modified Pokemon TCG Online for smaller screens. It would be extra awesome if they used the same login account information for the computer and tablet versions. Too many full art tapus to want to give up!

Last edited:

Skylite

Aspiring Trainer
I wonder what % of pokemon players die out with the 3ds? I'm going to be one of them for sure

sid18

Aspiring Trainer
If you have an Android smartphone you can play TCGO on it.

Download the .apk from apkmirror.com.

I have been playing it on my phone for years (previously Galaxy S5 and for the past year Galaxy S7 Edge) with no issues at all, the smaller screen size hasn't been a problem for the tablet version.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
People should not be playing Pokémon if they're not fully invested in it.

Oh. Oh, no. No. You do not decide how anybody else enjoys this franchise. Do not ever even dream that you have any right to "enjoy this more" than anyone else.

Crimzonlogic

I'm Batwoman.
Oh, please make PTCGO for smartphones pokemon co., please please please! Someone just mentioned the apk mirror thing, but that can be sketchy and I don't know if you could get your account suspended for that. Something official would be so much better and worry-free.

I spent a good chunk of time building a digital deck, then I finally go to test it out only to find my old computer is too outdated to actually handle matches without immediately crashing at the first animation. But my phone is half-decent. It could handle a mobile version of the game.

But seriously, WHY has PTCGO not come to Wii U or Switch yet? That's madness!

I dunno about a Zelda smartphone game. That's a home console series to me. Even the handheld Zelda games don't feel like handheld games, so could they pull off a smartphone game?

I couldn't care less about casuals. In fact, I despise them. People should not be playing Pokémon if they're not fully invested in it.

Dude, pokemon is, like, the most casual of franchises. It's for fun. Lay off the gatekeeper attitude, would you?

Last edited:

Pokemon Trainer

Fire Pokemon Master
App? Like YuGiOh Duel Links? While everyone is waiting (or rather demanding) for a D/P remake, I personally want Game Freak to team up with FuRyu to make a Pokemon Card game simulator for the 3DS (and even the Switch). FuRyu has helped Bushiroad make three "Cardfight!! Vanguard" and two "Future Card Buddyfight" games for the 3DS. They were some of the best TCG simulators i've played imo and i've always wanted to see to one for Pokemon. Just start with M/S expansions and move on from there and also add Best of XY. I even made a petition on it...
https://www.change.org/p/furyu-have-furyu-and-game-freak-make-a-pokémon-card-game-for-the-3ds

Last edited: