News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Don't care for this thing being immune to my Pidgeot's attacks but I'll manage (though its annoying). I wish Ho-Oh GX was playable. GX attack can put staged Pokemon in play and I guess that's nice but they need to be in the discard first. Was hoping it did something good and was maybe a bit more "colorless" since Lugia seems to never do anything related to its Psychic typing.

Kyrushi

Squirrel
In the future I feel Ho-Oh will get better. The idea of putting Stage 2 GXs on your bench is pretty crazy, but that limits you to only Pyroar as of now.

Rindon

Aspiring Trainer
I assume EX Pokemon also include mega. M-Houndoom and M Charizard without the spirit links.

WastedSkyPirate

There isn't much synergy in Ho-Oh-GX's attack costs, which suggests it's meant purely for Eternal Light GX. At the moment, I can't think of a broken Stage 1 or 2 [R] Pokémon-EX or Pokémon-GX to use this with (only M Charizard-EX, M Houndoom-EX and Incineroar-GX spring to mind).

With more [R] support and better [R] Pokémon this gets much better though. I'll be on the lookout for Charizard-GX's compatibility with Ho-Oh-GX.

Necrozma-GX is cool; straight off the bat it blocks Tauros-GX, Drampa-GX and M Rayquaza-EX. However, without a spammable attack (or means of making it spammable), I'm not sure how good it will be.

riChchestMat

Aspiring Trainer
Isn't Black Ray GX going to scoop up prize cards if the opponent is unlucky to have lower level pokemon on the bench? It only takes 2 turns to set up. Could take up to 6 cards on the first attack if going first. with a DCE.

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Ummm rayquaza decks often run high amounts of hex maniacs necrozma will matter very little to a good ray deck. Ho-oh is really cool though even with its generic can't attack next turn move it's gx attack is good particularly in expanded for getting powerful stage 1 and 2 fire types gx's out. However I wish it wasn't limited to ex's and gx's

Isn't Black Ray GX going to scoop up prize cards if the opponent is unlucky to have lower level pokemon on the bench? It only takes 2 turns to set up. Could take up to 6 cards on the first attack if going first. with a DCE.

Only hits ex's and gx's and there's only one ex that has less than 100 hp

Last edited by a moderator:

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Maybe someone will make something wacky like Necrozma-GX/Metagross-GX? It would be clunky but it could work. Necrozma being immune to Colorless pokemon is great (Tauros, Drampa, M Ray)
and his GX attack is decent against EX/GX decks. I honestly was hoping Ho-Oh would be better but... at least his GX attack is a good support. Otherwise a very lackluster card imo. Maybe Charizard will be playable with Ho-Oh as support, that would be interesting.

Tapu Lele

Inflated and Overstocked
Big dead rainbow bird exists for the sole purpose of supporting big dead flying lizard, which comes out this set

Trainerjaren

Aspiring Trainer
I guess to sum it all up, Ho-oh is an ok card and its GX attack is pretty decent, and Necrozma just wrecks mega ray(although its attack is a one time only thing because we don't have a psychic patch). GX attack is better than Vikavolt's.
Honestly, I am very excited for Marshadow GX(I hope its playable).

Well,theirs psychic patch in the form of Metagross-GX, which is even better in the Garb Meta even though it's left vulnerable to Sylveon.

The interesting thing is that Necrozma has the KO power of Solgaleo-GX with only 1 more energy and without the stage 2 setup.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
M-Ray, at least the way I play it probably won't be absolutely destroyed by necrozma like people think, especially in expanded. Compressor just makes hex maniac easier, obviously. Either way, it's not got a lot of health nor does it have a decent enough attack that can do consistent damage each turn. Even if it's similar to old BW Rayquaza its not got the support in Eels and whatnot. It'll be used but its not the end of M Ray. Not at all. I do like it though, it'd be good in some rogue decks.

Of course I'm probably just biased as I've been playing this deck for two whole years now.

ZephyrFox12

Aspiring Trainer
Once I read Ho-oh's first attack I literally said "No, not Ninetales again"
I think the most interesting thing about Ho-oh is the fact that it's weak to Lightning and not Water. The GX-attack is cool but the fact that it's limited to Fire Types kinda ruins it's viability. It seems like a lot of evolved fire ex and gx aren't viable because of their outrageous energy cost (with the exception of like Houndoom I guess). Maybe it could be like last-minute recovery for Volcanion but I just feel that not only Turtonator does it better and you'd get the same effect by using a rescue stretcher.

Necrozma's ability is the best thing about him and the GX-Attack is decent go what it is, I doubt it'lel become it's own deck but it could serve as a neat tech in like an Umbreon Strafe deck as like a 1-2 of. The first attack could've been so much better, it should've been something along the lines of Keldeo-EX, Trevenant-EX and Flareon-EX. Something like this:

[C][C][C] Prism Burst: 50+ damage. This attack does 20 more damage for each [P] energy attached to this Pokémon.

Nyora

A Cat
Thing is as Necrozma comes in, Mega Ray goes out at the exact same time. Will there even be any [C] threats?

Vitiel

Mush. Up!
So glad we're getting something that can wall Tauros. Most degenerate card in the game right now, imo.

GigaGarchomp

Dragon Tamer
I'm usually not one to discard energies, but I was really hyped for Necrozma-GX well the time to discard is now my friends!