Help The "What Deck Should I Play?" Thread

Thanks for the reply, Ninjamezor! As mentioned, I'm definitely considering Zygarde-EX/Carbink BREAK, Sceptile EX/M Sceptile-EX or the budget Serperior list I've seen.

On the other hand, some of those that you mentioned I'm not aware of decklists for and am interested in are: Garchomp and Marowak BREAK. (I admit I'd actually like to focus on saurian/draconic/reptilian/scaley Pokemon and Fighting and Grass seem to have them, haha.) Any decklist links for those 2?

Thanks for the reply, Ninjamezor! As mentioned, I'm definitely considering Zygarde-EX/Carbink BREAK, Sceptile EX/M Sceptile-EX or the budget Serperior list I've seen.

On the other hand, some of those that you mentioned I'm not aware of decklists for and am interested in are: Garchomp and Marowak BREAK. (I admit I'd actually like to focus on saurian/draconic/reptilian/scaley Pokemon and Fighting and Grass seem to have them, haha.) Any decklist links for those 2?
Here's a video of a Garchomp List from google:
And a video of a Marowak list by Pokemon TCG Center:
(change the Giovanni's scheme to Professor Kukui)

They might be a little outdated, but they can work as a good skeleton if you want to change them. Glad to be of help!

Any good budget decks that dont use any EX pokemon beside Typhlosion and AOR Gyardos?

Currently I cannot find any right now. Best I could find was a mill deck, and I dont know if those are very competitive right now.

Any good budget decks that dont use any EX pokemon beside Typhlosion and AOR Gyardos?

Currently I cannot find any right now. Best I could find was a mill deck, and I dont know if those are very competitive right now.
Maybe raichu/vespiquen with unown and klefki?

You've got Golduck and Passimian which are both cool ones from Sun/Moon. There's also Greninja but it's not quite as budget friendly even though it doesn't use Shaymin. Vespiquen is an option but she's a little harder to play than the other decks.

Ok. I went totaly crazy and made this.....which won me first place online in an 8 ticket tourney. (First stanadard tourney, Best. Experience. I have ever had playing a TCG!)

Pokemon: 21
3x Pikachu
3x Raichu
2x Zorua
2x Zoroark
1x Tauros GX
2x Evee
2x Flareon AOR
2x Vaporeon AOR
2x Remoraid
2x Octillery

Trainers: 35
2x Bridgete
1x Lysandre (Almost lost because I didnt have another copy)
2x N
4x Sycamore
2x Float Stone
3x Enhanced Hammer (Won me the game vs The MEGA Latios Deck)
4x Level Ball
2x Special Charge
2x Super Rod (Was a fantastic choice. Got back multiple Raichus or Zoroarks lines)
4x Trainers Mail
3x Ultra Ball
3x VS Seeker (May up to 4)
4x Sky Stadium (Key to trading with Darkrai EX)

Matchup

First Game: Mega Latios.
- Boy this was an annoying one. I never once faced this deck so was shocked and suprised when i saw it. He proceeded to easiy first turn Kill my acticve raichu which really hurt. Then kept using THe MEGAS attack to 120 snipe anyhwere. Was really harmful. I was able to chatch up with my Enhanced hammers though and win the game.

Second Matchup: Darkrai EX
- I won this due to 2 things. Sniping his shaymin EX. And lysandre grabbing his damaged Darkrai EX. I played every turn thinking how the prize match up would go, and when he played Shaymin EX i knew where my win condition was.

Third Matchup: Volcanion EX
- My last game was my eaisest. Vaporon did what it was intended to do! He tried to snipe one, but since i had two copies and super rod, i was able to put another one on bench and keep hitting for double damage.

Overall i was pleasntly suprised. I had no idea if it would do well and it did fantasic. Any ways i can improve it? (No Shaymins)

I am going to play in regionals (expanded) this weekend and I can not figure out what deck to use. I am going with my husband, who is a lot better player. I want to be competitive but I really want a fun deck to play most of all. I love my Greninja deck but I'm afraid of being abilty blocked or item locked. We got booster boxes of Breakpoint, Sun & Moon, Roaring Skies, Acient Origins, Evolutions, and Steam Seige so I have a lot of that to use, but I don't have any really old weird cards I see people use online sometimes (like computer search). I'm willing to get a few cards to help out my deck; I'll take any advice. I don't really love the EX/GX thing. Mainly because I feel like it takes me so long to get going I'm afraid my opponent will have too many prize cards by the time I do. I did have fun with the Ariados/sceptile deck, but that also relies on abilities.

Hey guys! This is my Passimian/Mew deck! It is a really good deck and pretty low cost too. I bought all the cards I needed for about $30 on Amazon.

Passimian deck
Standard 2017

Pokemon:

4x Passimian
4x Mew
3x Remoraid
2x Octillery

Trainers:

3x Sky Field
2x Level ball
3x Ultra ball
1x Special charge
4x Puzzle of time
4x Nest ball
3x Revive
3x N
2x Lysandre
3x Sycamore
2x Bursting balloon
2x Float stone
4x Trainer's mail
1x Rotom dex
2x Teammates
1x Escape rope
1x Professor Kukui
2x Acro bike

Energy:
4x Double colorless

This deck disclosed Shaman and VS Seeker because they are mildly expensive. You could also use oranguru instead of Octillery if you want. Please leave suggestions!

Hi all,

Personally I'm a former MTG player, but my son has gotten interested in Pokémon TCG the past year. He played his first tournament this past weekend which was a Sun & Moon Starter deck only for beginners and loved it. He won two of the three rounds and now has a taste of blood and wants more. I'd love to build him a pretty easy to play deck that he can go down to the regular tournaments at the local gaming store and not get completely destroyed by the pros :)

I'm not overly concerned about a budget (lets not go all to hell) but something that would be a lot of fun to play without too much fuss.

If someone could recommend a couple of deck lists that I could use as a shopping list that would be much appreciated :)

Hey guys! I have an upcoming expanded tournament with only 30 mins per round (1 game per round), probably with 25-35 participants. The thing is, I don't know what deck to play. What deck would be suitable in the said tournament format? I'm considering Yveltal/Maxie's, Night March, Turbo Dark, and Darkrai Dragons. Usually, the decks that are being played in my area are: Mega Rayquaza, Yveltal/Maxie's, some Trevenant, some Night March, and some Volcanion.

Thank you all!

I'm going to a league cup tomorrow, where I'm going to play one of two decks. I don't know which to use, and was hoping someone might help. At the tournament, I expect to see a lot of random, unique decks, along with a few skilled players playing yveltal (I'm in the senior division). One of my decks is extremely consistent, but auto losses to yveltal. However, it is a grass deck, and if people play Lapras Waterbox, I pretty much auto win.My other deck, however, is good, with a good yveltal matchup, but is overall not nearly as consistent as my other deck. I really want to do well, since I can't go to bigger tournaments this year, but don't know if I should risk playing a slightly inconsistent deck to beat yveltal and possibly lose to unexpected decks, or if I should just take the loss against yveltal and play a deck that does pretty well against almost every other deck (except for fire, which isn't played as much where I live). All advice is greatly appreciated. Thank You!

If you want win then i have the deck for you. Mill is the way to go right now and this one is much better then the quad lapras right now.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 7

* 2 Bunnelby PRC 121
* 1 Minccino FAC 86
* 4 Houndoom-EX BKT 21

##Trainer Cards - 46

* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 1 Team Skull Grunt SUM 133
* 4 N DEX 96
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 1 Captivating Poké Puff STS 99
* 2 Team Flare Grunt XY 129
* 4 Crushing Hammer GEN 60
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 2 Silent Lab PRC 140
* 2 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 2 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 Parallel City BKT 145
* 2 Enhanced Hammer PHF 94
* 3 Max Potion BKP 103
* 3 Team Rocket's Handiwork FAC 112
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 7

* 7 Fire Energy 2

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I'm looking to get into Pokemon and looking to play a competitive deck and learn so I can be ready with my own deck come June for Madison regionals
No budget or deck limitations
I Play yugioh competitively so I should be fine teaching my self after I get the basics of Pokemon meta down

I'm looking to get into Pokemon and looking to play a competitive deck and learn so I can be ready with my own deck come June for Madison regionals
No budget or deck limitations
I Play yugioh competitively so I should be fine teaching my self after I get the basics of Pokemon meta down

Charizardlounge.com go to standard and just pick one

So this is my first time asking "Which deck should I use"? A week from this Sunday there is a tournament going on. Standard format, attendance will determine the number of swiss rounds, rounds will be 30 minutes plus 3 turns.

Here are the decks I am thinking about:

-Darkrai/Giratina/Solgaleo-GX
-Yveltal/Garbodor
-Volcanion
-Mega Ray with Magearna EX

Much appreciated. :)

So this is my first time asking "Which deck should I use"? A week from this Sunday there is a tournament going on. Standard format, attendance will determine the number of swiss rounds, rounds will be 30 minutes plus 3 turns.

Here are the decks I am thinking about:

-Darkrai/Giratina/Solgaleo-GX
-Yveltal/Garbodor
-Volcanion
-Mega Ray with Magearna EX

Much appreciated. :)
What does your meta look like? If you know, that would be very helpful in deciding which deck to play. Now personally, depending on the meta, I think that Yveltal Garb and Mega Ray are always good choices. But that depends on your preference, and local meta.

Last edited:
What does your meta look like? If you know, that would be very helpful in deciding which deck to play. Now personally, depending on the meta, I thinkg that Yveltal Garb and Mega Ray are always good choices. But that depends on your preference, and local meta.
Not sure what the meta is. I am guessing there is gonna be two quad lapras, maybe another Mega Rayquaza build. It's out of town, so I don't know about the locals. In my league, there are some with M Mewtwo/Garbodor, Xerneas BREAK/M Gardevoir (Brilliant Arrow), Yveltal EX/Tauros GX, Mega Ray with Fire/ Mega Ray with Lightning. Also depends if they all are going too.

Not sure what the meta is. I am guessing there is gonna be two quad lapras, maybe another Mega Rayquaza build. It's out of town, so I don't know about the locals. In my league, there are some with M Mewtwo/Garbodor, Xerneas BREAK/M Gardevoir (Brilliant Arrow), Yveltal EX/Tauros GX, Mega Ray with Fire/ Mega Ray with Lightning. Also depends if the:)y all are going too.
Okay then... I do personally believe that with that in mind, Mega Ray is your best option. Mega Ray is a solid attacker, and I believe that out of the options you listed, it will help you the best. Now, you should play whatever you're comfortable with of course, but I hope that this advice will help. P.S. I would like to give you a bit of a tip against Quad Lapras, as I have recently gone against it at my League Cup (and it really annoyed me...). First of all, I recommend having a solid basic backup attacker, in case they play Glaceon, because that can decide that matchup. I'm also going to warn you, that part of the power of Lapras decks are there Paralysis. So, if you can get around that through Mega Evolution/healing, you should be okay. Mega Ray's speed also helps with the matchup, as you need to knockout Lapras before they can setup as much as possible (that last bit also applies to Brilliant Arrow Mega Gardevoir). Hope this helps, and good luck at your tournament!

Back