Discussion Cards Rotating Out

pokemonleagueryan

Diglett-GX?
I personally think the rotation will be Evolutions-On because of how different Sun and Moon is from BW/XY. The cards are designed differently, we don't have a discard, draw seven effect and if they are trying to phase it out, they have to rotate Steam Siege. With Expanded now being a thing, they can make a harsh cut in standard (lets face it, most of these decks shouldn't even exist) and run more expanded events while Standard has the reset its needed for the last four years. Standard will also have three or four Sun/Moon, not including any mini sets that might be released.

It will not be Evo-On in my opinion. I think it would be FAC-on or Breakpoint-on because it will be a dull start to the new season (2018) and I personally think that Pokemon doesnt want to redo this dull start again like the rotation from HGSS to BW since all the good cards soared up in price and many players rage quited competitive play. Also, I think that BW is going to rotate out of expanded since there was only always one full era in it. Thanks. And dont take everything I say like if it was the only truth since none of this is even confirmed yet.

pokemonleagueryan

Diglett-GX?
Yes that is true. But I personally think that BW was in the game for too long and like Pokemon says before a rotation: "We rotate the sets to keep a healthy P!P environment and gameplay"

Sergiohmygod

Aspiring Trainer
And sell it will. The primary market is the little children, not the competitive player.

Of course it will sell. Children aren't relative to rotation because, like you have noted, children and competitive players are not the same market. Speaking specifically about how to make money from the competitive player base, the best move is to rotate to only in-print sets. Assuming the children's demand for Pokemon cards of any set remain the same, TPCi can still maximize profit by forcing competitive players to buy the new sets in order to rebuild their collection of playable cards. It's really just common sense with a sprinkling of Econ 101

Latte1504

Aspiring Trainer
Yes that is true. But I personally think that BW was in the game for too long and like Pokemon says before a rotation: "We rotate the sets to keep a healthy P!P environment and gameplay"
I think they are going to give it at least another year. It would be XY on, and I am sure I am not the only one with terrible memories of that format.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
It will not be Evo-On in my opinion. I think it would be FAC-on or Breakpoint-on because it will be a dull start to the new season (2018) and I personally think that Pokemon doesnt want to redo this dull start again like the rotation from HGSS to BW since all the good cards soared up in price and many players rage quited competitive play. Also, I think that BW is going to rotate out of expanded since there was only always one full era in it. Thanks. And dont take everything I say like if it was the only truth since none of this is even confirmed yet.

The thing is no one knows what the format is but my argument is sound just from the perspective of a game designer and how different SM is from BW/XY. Cards printed in Evolutions and "nerfed" versions of cards being printed/reprinted since our draw 7 could have been Professor Oak's Hint or Hala but they went in different directions from Juniper/Sycamore.

Just as like as Evolutions-On is, they could also choose to not rotate and leave the format as is but rotations don't matter anymore since they reprint all the problems with the game for the next era.
And sell it will. The primary market is the little children, not the competitive player.

Yeah, I know.

I think they are going to give it at least another year. It would be XY on, and I am sure I am not the only one with terrible memories of that format.

BW is the reason I don't play Expanded.

Expert_Occultist

Magic card player
I wanna say expanded isn't going to rotate this year since the good Ho-oh EX and the Kyurems are being reprinted in an expanded product. If expanded is rotating why wouldn't this year's Battle Arena decks feature XY EXs? Wouldn't it suck if they reprint this nice Ho-oh only to rotate it the same year?
BW is the reason I don't play Expanded.
Why? Besides Colress, Ghetsis, and Archeops what other BW cards are even really relevant in the current expanded format?

Ventoreck

Aspiring Trainer
My theory is that it will be Breakthrough and on. This is to keep in line with evolution cards now being powerful and BREAK pokemon are essentially the same thing.

Also as an aside, I am just getting back into the game and currently I am just opening Breakthrough packs for multiple cards and Typhlosion (Easy budget deck i can make)

Should I change to opening Sun & moon? I plan to switch to Guardians rising because of how many good cards are there.

Sergiohmygod

Aspiring Trainer
My theory is that it will be Breakthrough and on. This is to keep in line with evolution cards now being powerful and BREAK pokemon are essentially the same thing.

I agree, BREAKs really are just evolutions. In some cases like Greninja (our only truly competitive Break) they might even be slower since they evolve from a Stage 2. Unfortunately though, BKT gave us M Mewtwo, BKP gave us Darkrai EX and Steam Siege gave us Volcanion. While Breaks may work mechanically in a way that is compatible with the SM trend of slow evolution with worthwhile payoff, cards released after or in tandem with Breaks really aren't. If Pokemon was hoping to purge the format of super fast EXs (which they might not be) then they'd rotate way more and leave us with way less than BKT-on. If only Breaks could be spared while EXs get rotated.

Ventoreck

Aspiring Trainer
I agree, BREAKs really are just evolutions. In some cases like Greninja (our only truly competitive Break) they might even be slower since they evolve from a Stage 2. Unfortunately though, BKT gave us M Mewtwo, BKP gave us Darkrai EX and Steam Siege gave us Volcanion. While Breaks may work mechanically in a way that is compatible with the SM trend of slow evolution with worthwhile payoff, cards released after or in tandem with Breaks really aren't. If Pokemon was hoping to purge the format of super fast EXs (which they might not be) then they'd rotate way more and leave us with way less than BKT-on. If only Breaks could be spared while EXs get rotated.
Dang it would hurt if that happens, I probably would have to play expanded till I could afford the next best option for a budget deck. (All of my cards are XY to Steam Seige currently. Hmm, we will see.

superdan51

Make Metagross-GX Great!
Thank you! Honestly, rotating expanded seems pointless because, at most, we loose about 10 cards (Laserbank too but that's become kinda niche). BW was a very fair block
BW was not a fair block by any means, too many over powered cards came out in that block that made it probably the worst designed era of any pokemon TCG era. Things such as Dark getting wayyyyyy too much support, to catcher being broken af, hypnotoxic laser along with Virbank city gym, Archeops, Cards such as Ghetsis, Xball Mewtwo, and keldeo ex which felt pretty op at the time. I dont think that many broken things have ever come into one era, and sure XY era had a lot of flaws too, Reintroducing N into the format, Shaymin EX, Hoopa EX, Battle Compressor, are all things that ruined the format. The BW era started real well until NXD, then it went all down hill. The next 3 years of the TCG were plagued with XBALL and Dark decks that got a million times more support than any other type. Not to add that those decks are still around today in the expanded format. Fast forward to today where we are looking at yet ANOTHER Darkrai card, it seems that the dark support in expanded will never end. They finally got a way to put Archeops into the game instantly, and then they got hoopa and shaymin to speed that deck into hyper space. Dark seems to be the leading favourite type to the game designers, because every since DEX dark has always been in the format, and it was always a top contender. Its sad to see that one flaw in a era that could be nice and balanced especially after HGSS and pushing 3 balanced sets, they go ahead and ruin the TCG with Dark cancer that cant seem to get enough support. Im sorry to say, but the BW era completly ruined the game, and because of mistakes made in that era (so many mistakes) playing expanded is basically whose dark deck gets setup first. I played RayEels at my last Expanded tournament and needless to say it was basically all Dark decks, but thankfully Raikou is a saviour against Yveltal and I made top 4, but again, I would feel no different if we just cancelled expanded completely and maybe moved into a legacy sort of format so that pokemon could relive its far better past

Expert_Occultist

Magic card player
BW was not a fair block by any means, too many over powered cards came out in that block that made it probably the worst designed era of any pokemon TCG era. Things such as Dark getting wayyyyyy too much support, to catcher being broken af, hypnotoxic laser along with Virbank city gym, Archeops, Cards such as Ghetsis, Xball Mewtwo, and keldeo ex which felt pretty op at the time. I dont think that many broken things have ever come into one era, and sure XY era had a lot of flaws too, Reintroducing N into the format, Shaymin EX, Hoopa EX, Battle Compressor, are all things that ruined the format. The BW era started real well until NXD, then it went all down hill. The next 3 years of the TCG were plagued with XBALL and Dark decks that got a million times more support than any other type. Not to add that those decks are still around today in the expanded format. Fast forward to today where we are looking at yet ANOTHER Darkrai card, it seems that the dark support in expanded will never end. They finally got a way to put Archeops into the game instantly, and then they got hoopa and shaymin to speed that deck into hyper space. Dark seems to be the leading favourite type to the game designers, because every since DEX dark has always been in the format, and it was always a top contender. Its sad to see that one flaw in a era that could be nice and balanced especially after HGSS and pushing 3 balanced sets, they go ahead and ruin the TCG with Dark cancer that cant seem to get enough support. Im sorry to say, but the BW era completly ruined the game, and because of mistakes made in that era (so many mistakes) playing expanded is basically whose dark deck gets setup first. I played RayEels at my last Expanded tournament and needless to say it was basically all Dark decks, but thankfully Raikou is a saviour against Yveltal and I made top 4, but again, I would feel no different if we just cancelled expanded completely and maybe moved into a legacy sort of format so that pokemon could relive its far better past
Ok, I should say I was speaking of BW in terms of the current expanded format, not the entire history of the BW era. My point was that BW cards are fairly represented in the current expanded meta game. As for current expanded being "basically whose dark deck gets setup first" there are other decks in the meta. A ton of other decks actually if you go by the "rainbow of possibilities" article released 4 days ago ( http://www.pokebeach.com/2017/03/a-rainbow-of-possibilities). While it seems dark does get a lot of support, other decks seem to be doing just fine (even thriving) and there's lots of room for innovation after every set release. While you may not like expanded I enjoy the power and diversity the format brings.