Arcanine BREAK in September's 'CoroCoro Ichiban!'

Noooo, I wanted a beautiful textured full art Arcanine. Now I fear we won't get one in the style of modern full arts, I'm so disappointed! I'm not fond of the look of break cards. :(

Arcanine is my favorite pokemon and I am striving to collect every English card of it ever released, so I will be buying multiples of this Arcanine break and hopefully using it in a deck regardless of my disappointment.

The pose doesn't at all look similar to the base set Arcanine. It looks more like Blaine's Arcanine without the tongue hanging out. Compare:

180px-BlaineArcanineGymChallenge1.jpg
180px-ArcanineBaseSet23.jpg

271x200xArcanine-BREAK-CoroCoro-Ichiban-2-271x200.jpg.pagespeed.ic.kRH8oYatqr.webp

Last edited:
At least it's a decent and cool looking card. It's like MegaMan, but not as good. I guess they both have their pros and cons, however.
This could be paired with Volcanion-EX and Flareon-EX for a very nice and efficient combination. You could be doing 80+ damage each turn, depending on how many Fire Energies you are discarding while powering up benched Arcanines and Flareon-EX's.

Cool, my favorite Pokemon got a BREAK. Not an EX but I'm ok with that. Also, card is not that bad. But still underwhelming.
Now we need a nice Arcanine to go with it. Maybe with a playable ability.

Last edited:
Turbo Flame seems like an attempt to get around reprinting Blacksmith, but honestly, a setup attack isn't that great on something that needs way too much setup itself. After all, we're talking about a pseudo-Stage 2 that doesn't even get anything like Rare Candy or Maxie/Archie; at best, we have Wally turning three turns of setup into two turns of setup.

Oh man this is kinda cool! I wouldnt be surprised if they printed an Arcanine with Overrun to go with it. Arcanine's had a few cards with Overrun and it'd be kind of a neat reference to the basic Manectric EX as well

Well this is exciting :D

It's a solid attack, but its viability will depend on the Arcanine we get in Evolutions. And of the BREAK cards, this is among the best art - you can easily tell it's an Arcanine and not just a golden blob.

I also don't think this preculdes us from getting an Arcanine-EX with a FA sometime in the SuMo era. Arcanine has appeared in trailers, and it wouldn't surprise me if it's available with or without a Mega Evolution in the next generation. Crossing my fingers!

Arcanine is my favorite pokemon, and MegaMan was one of my favorite cards, so I nearly screamed in excitement about this. Also, with the semi-playable Arcanine from NXD working with this, I might ACTUALLY play this at a Regionals with Volcanion-EX. I also like how many splashable attackers could work with this. I am most DEFINITELY a happy camper.

I can't help but think Turbo Flame should have been an ability. This is a slower Carbink without all the support. Maybe this is them trying to balance the game now. Still looks like a fun card and maybe we'll see a way to get breaks into play faster.

I certainly hope TPCI would place more emphasis on evolution mechanism, personally I am not very fond of the -EX mechanism since its inception in Next Destiny

Back