Japan's XY11: 'Explosive Fighter / Cruel Traitor', CP5: 'Mythical / Legendary Dream Holo Collection'

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
I don't think Mega Salamence is decent enough. It can't use blacksmith or burning energy. So you can only power it with Double Dragon Energy and Reshiram. And to hit the right numbers you need to discard 2 or 3 basic fire energy.

Xan

Aspiring Trainer
I don't think Mega Salamence is decent enough. It can't use blacksmith or burning energy. So you can only power it with Double Dragon Energy and Reshiram. And to hit the right numbers you need to discard 2 or 3 basic fire energy.
The new Volcanion can be used along side Reshiram to start building up 2 Salamance in the early turns and it run on a single fire energy

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder
Yeah, Karen I love you, but you're so damn late. Night March will rotate before we could see her in our decks.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
They're very likely getting reprinted if the Japanese reprint set can be used as data.

In this case I wouldn't put too much stock into it. CP4 only has four new cards, and Wobbuffet BREAK will be in the second break box in July. How we're getting M. Beedrill EX, it's base EX and its spirit link is unknown. To devote a whole set just to reprints outside of Japan would be just foolish. As already noted before they might as well not bother with a rotation next year if that's the case.

I guess if those like me who think that are proven wrong though then Karen is always a really good option. Or this could be a sign that more Pokémon with Night March are coming, or something similar is on its way.

Speaking of wondering how we get things, I wonder how we'll get M.Salamence EX. I guess if Mawile can get a box then Salamence should definently qualify for one. To that end, where is Salamanece EX?

Javi Blizz

Spanish TCG Player
Everyone is writting about how Karen is a hard Night March counter, but, futhermore it is a really nice replacement for Sacred Ash. And the best thing, you can use it under item lock!

ZygardeChronicles

PMD5 when
And to think I was going to build a NM deck. But in reality, it's the same problem as Trump Card. Someone could play an expanded Sableye/VS Seeker deck and only be countered by Toad and Vileplume. They could play extra Pokémon and Battle Compressor. It would be a really easy win Mill deck.

kjmccormick

Aspiring Trainer
To me, M Salamence EX is just an inferior Camerupt EX, albeit with extra HP and a nice 100 base damage, but without access to all that tasty fire support (i.e. Blacksmith), it could be a hassle (although Reshiram is definitely handy).

Also, praise be to Karen and all that. I guess this card is a little harsh on Night March, but then Night March is a little harsh on anyone they happen to be playing. Could at least make it less of a go-to choice and open up the field for other strategies, purely through fear of scary Karen?

Starsoulklr

'Rolling around at the speed of sound'
Karen is what Lysandre's Sodium Card should have been in the first place.

While she does help against 'I get more Pokemon in the discard to become stronger' They still can use Puzzle Pieces to recover Compressors and other methods to put them back into the discard. She doesn't 100% end those decks but played at the right time with enough resources burned will be quite devastating.

Putting pack in your Pokemon you discarded back into your deck is also nice so it's not just a Nightmare counter.

Megea Salamence is alright: not overpowered but does what it is designed to do. Most likely we'll get the Mega Box treatment for the TCG for Mence.

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
Karen. You make it to English and you're my favorite elite four member of all time.:D The only problem is that Night March will rotate before you get here. Well I guess I'll use you in expanded anyway.

As for M-Salamence EX I'm betting on it being that M Audino line without a full art in the English set of XY12 or it will get a mega collection.

SirKnight

Securing the win
Well, we got are new trump card (the only difference is it doesn't shuffle all your cards back, only your pokemon, so this will not get banned),time to stay away from making vespiquen. :(

Another thing is why did they make this card, future decks, like the new Mega Gardevoir-Ex, will get insane boost from it, why Game Freak, why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dino.Collector

@Primal.Army General- Gold Star & Gen 3 Collector
Beautiful art on the mega salamence! And savage wing lol :p
Could be slightly playable if paired with entei AO.
And really TPCi? Stop making all these counters just for specific decks some people don't like. I don't play night march, but still. Not that Karen will actually see play, because I don't think she will.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
There are way too many unreleased Megas now: M-Beedrill, M-Garchomp, M-Slowbro (announced the other day) and now M-Salamence...
Meanwhile, they decided to only make 2 Megas (with 1 of them being a repeated mega - Gardevoir) for the XY11 set... genius!
I don't doubt we're going to get all these Megas in the west, but what is TPCi going to do? Put them all in Premium Boxes? One every month? That's a bit overkill. I'd prefer if they had included 1 or 2 in Steam Siege. Since that is not happening, maybe they'll include 2 of these in the last XY set, even though we have yet to see what the contents of the japanese 20th anniversary concept pack are...
So much speculation. *sigh*

btw, M-Salamence is really nice for a promo. Pair it with Reshiram and you have at least a fun deck to use with an awesome Mega...

Clear

Birb is the Word
JP's Standard is much more longer than stateside, it makes sense for them to make a NM counter now that they plan to do XY-on as their standard in JP.

On the bright side, we now got a solid counter for NM in Expanded stateside.

CYL

All hail Eevee!
Are they running out of ideas for Mega Evolution attacks?

And seems like another Promo card I have to get my hands on just because there's an Eeveelution in the background... ugh.

Edit: I swear they do it on purpose.

poke4trade

Raising Ash
Karren Yeppy! Battle Compress one Karren. The card will kill sacred ash. Now, I'm wondering if there is a card that says, "This attack does 20 x times the number of pokemon in your deck."

Will Karren be available for worlds?

Clear

Birb is the Word
Much like All Night Party, I am sure we will get Karen in the core set come stateside. It will not likely to be a promo here.

May be they will put Mega Chomp, and Mega Mence into a Mega Evolution Dragon Box or something.

Karen is not good for Worlds, it is at best the August set. The first wave of tournaments we will see with her would be Regionals next fall.

Max Breaker Black Special

Emerald BREAKER Theta MAX
i like how very appropriate they gave Karen that effect considering she is the antithesis of Meta players (that infamous quote about using favorites) and the fact that NM and Vespiquen are the most meta decks in the TCG today.