Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

Interesting... Free retreat, status immune, instant knockout with Ariados's ability. I actually had some success with Doublade and Ariados as a Rogue deck at one time, but the issue for this one will be the development of the strategy. I'm finding Break Pokemon pretty difficult do get out quickly...

Fortunately, it could be easier to do for this break card, as we have Winona to quickly get the Ratties out. Yveltal for Acceleration and Night March handling, Assault Vests and Head Ringers for protection, and you have an interesting strategy to try out!
Or Poison. Or an unlucky Burn flip.

Honestly he would've been better steel, no combine withe steel shelter for getting rid of special conditions, but as of now he could be paired with ariados and rainbow energy.

Hmm this card looks fun, but that 2nd attack being two energy kind of knocks the speed a bit. Team Magma Base and Fighting Spirit Belt will work well with this, as others have said. Glad to see more support for Mill decks!

Wow this brings back memories of Durant from Noble Victories. As much as a lot of people hated playing against that deck (including me) it was very satisfying to beat, and on top of that it reminds me of when my older brother and I used to play the TCG together. Rambling aside this could make for a very interesting control deck along with the recent Vileplume. As annoying as this does sound to face I really hope someone will make good use of it.

I call that a stall deck.
Stalling is just keeping your opponent from satisfying any win conditions by making yourself hard to knock down, while not necessarily fighting back. Mill decks are focused around forcing your opponent to discard, which is more involved than playing defensively and slowly.

I wonder when we'll get our first fire-type BREAK evolution (throw something at me if I am blanking on one that's been revealed, other than the implied eventual Delphox). Likewise, I wonder if/when the burn status will return. Not that I like/dislike it either way...it's just strange to have abandoned it after Legendary Treasures (as countless other people have no doubt observed/noted). <<Also, steel, errr, metal-type BREAK>>

I really enjoyed playing Durant during NVI and NXD, as did many others. I don't see this Durant ever matching the original era of Durant NVI, but it certainly has potential to be playable.

Love the artwork! It also reminds me a Tiny bit of Ken Sugimori. When is he going to draw Pokemon for the TCG again?

I hope this attack will get a functionality with a Sudowoodo Break card. Btw, a gold Sudowoodo would be awesome.

Love the artwork! It also reminds me a Tiny bit of Ken Sugimori. When is he going to draw Pokemon for the TCG again?

I hope this attack will get a functionality with a Sudowoodo Break card. Btw, a gold Sudowoodo would be awesome.
I think BREAK Pokemon might be reserved for Pokemon that evolve at least once. But we only have one set to go off, so maybe that won't be the case once there are more.

I always did like the crazy horde gags they did in X & Y, whether it be this depiction, or the hordes of Durant with a lone Heatmor which end up beating each other up in battle.

As for playability of this one... I guess it could work as a revenge-type attacker, particularly as a counter to M Manectric. It can copy Turbo Volt back at that card and hit for weakness, given if no Flash energy were attached the M Manectric. It could also counter Glalie EX with a muscle band, AT Entei, Dragon M Rayquaza, and perhaps even the M Mewtwo's.

Intriguing possibilities, if you're willing to pay 2 energy. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to accelerate it now, like using Exp Share or Max Elixir.

I like the idea they were going for with this card's art, but it looks like Sudowoodo was just inserted into the card. They had a Trevenant background and put some basic Sudowoodo art on top of it.

I'd very much disagree that M/ Aggron is unplayable. Sure, it takes a lot of setup but in a test deck I made running it you'd be surprised how many times as soon as it's set up it can take the game for you. I don't have any more than personal experience to back up this though.
2 metal and 2 colorless energies for 120 and a coin flip who could damage your bench, not fast and absolutely not reliable. Rightly underplayed.

Ariga follows Ken Sugimori's art direction pretty accurately.
There's been a few instances where the fandom has tried to dispute/say something was drawn by Ken Sugimori and not Ariga, but if you follow Ariga on twitter long enough you can easily tell what he's done. A good example would be the Red & Green/Blue Sleeves a while back. People keep calling it Ken Sugimori art (and still do) but despite this it is in fact drawn by Hitoshi Ariga.

Back