Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wonder how the children will be treated now that gay marriage is legal. As in, will they face discrimination for having two dads or two moms. This is more or less speculation, but I think it is important to have foresight on a potential issue, considering gay marriage is only now legal, and with the benefits of change, comes the issues as well.

I just wonder how the children will be treated now that gay marriage is legal. As in, will they face discrimination for having two dads or two moms. This is more or less speculation, but I think it is important to have foresight on a potential issue, considering gay marriage is only now legal.
Gay couples have been able to adopt for a while though. Homophobes will still be as homophobic as ever, ore maybe slightly mellowed down. I don't think children with gay parents will be bullied much at all really, at least not for their parents being gay. Anyone can be targeted by bullies except for the bullies themselves.

Gay couples have been able to adopt for a while though. Homophobes will still be as homophobic as ever, ore maybe slightly mellowed down. I don't think children with gay parents will be bullied much at all really, at least not for their parents being gay. Anyone can be targeted by bullies except for the bullies themselves.
Actually if you are gay you can be denied adoption just on that premise alone, and there was a local kid (I know not all kids will have this happen) who was shamed into suicide by bullies a couple years ago because he had two dads.

I just wonder how the children will be treated now that gay marriage is legal. As in, will they face discrimination for having two dads or two moms. This is more or less speculation, but I think it is important to have foresight on a potential issue, considering gay marriage is only now legal, and with the benefits of change, comes the issues as well.

Initially, yes.

However, the legitimization of marriage and adoption (among other things to come) will eventually bring a chilling effect on outspoken, societally condoned expressions of hate, just as it (mostly) did with racism and sexism before; it will come a point when being bullied for having two dads will be no different from be bullied for needing glasses, because let's face it, kids are simply horrible regardless of law.

As for bullying and suicide, it's sad, but inevitable; I can find cases of people bullied into suicide for a myriad other more socially innocuous things; it's about the person as much as the environment, and there will always be people who are more prone to suicide than others, regardless of the cause.

Yes, it is legal now, however, this new law doesn't come with a mindset change.

Yes, it is legal now, however, this new law doesn't come with a mindset change.
Of course, I never said it did. But that doesn't mean we can't turn that around (as well as improve a few other aspects) with due time. The frustrating thing is our government is slow to change, thus we won't really see any action until the issues become apparent to the masses.

Of course, I never said it did. But that doesn't mean we can't turn that around (as well as improve a few other aspects) with due time. The frustrating thing is our government is slow to change, thus we won't really see any action until the issues become apparent to the masses.
The government can't force people to change their views, only make laws to prevent discrimination. The problem with the way business laws in america is government can do anything with private business unless they completely violate laws. Like was said in another post, all your boss has to say is so and so wasn't preforming to standard and I'm sure you know the rest.

From here on out, its going to be the ultimate game of he said she said. I hope it wont be that bad though but stories about this keep popping up. Again, this all depends on how people are raised. Children will be children and be mean. A bully doesn't need a reason to like you after all.

The government can't force people to change their views, only make laws to prevent discrimination. The problem with the way business laws in america is government can do anything with private business unless they completely violate laws. Like was said in another post, all your boss has to say is so and so wasn't preforming to standard and I'm sure you know the rest.

From here on out, its going to be the ultimate game of he said she said. I hope it wont be that bad though but stories about this keep popping up. Again, this all depends on how people are raised. Children will be children and be mean. A bully doesn't need a reason to like you after all.
The government can't force but can influence, I mean look at the war on drugs, all of that was fear based, and for awhile there, people were concerned, but if you look around, the public view on drugs are changing. Just like the public view in America on the gays, it has become gradual that a majority of the population have accepted them. There is still a minority group that are anti or against gays. Your boss can say you aren't performing up to standards, but you can fight it. That's what happened to me at my last job, I didn't get properly trained, and I didn't perform to the standards of one of the managers that worked there. He tried to get me fired but in the end I had gotten rehired and him fired. Rolling over and allowing things to happen is only an excuse, which is why we should try and find solutions before they become problems. People aren't just racist for no reason. If you look at a picture of any old Lynch mob, chances are very few went to jail or suffered consequences; no, instead most had/started families. Hate breeds down is what I'm saying, and you can teach your child the difference between right and wrong.

Last edited:
The government can't force but can influence, I men look at the war on drugs, all of that was fear based, and for awhile there, people were concerned, but if you look around, the public view on drugs are changing. Just like the public view in America on the gays, it has become gradual that a majority of the population have accepted them. There is still a minority group that are anti or against gays. Your boss can say you aren't performing up to standards, but you can fight it. That's what happened to me at my last job, I didn't get properly trained, and I didn't perform to the standards of one of the managers that worked there. He tried to get me fired but in the end I had gotten rehired and him fired. Rolling over and allowing things to happen is only an excuse, which is why we should try and find solutions before they become problems. People aren't just racist for no reason. If you look at a picture of any old Lynch mob, chances are very few went to jail or suffered consequences; no, instead most had/started families. Hate breeds down is what I'm saying, and you can teach your child the difference between right and wrong.

Very true and that's because we educated people on drugs. The ultimate solution here is to educate since time and time again, its been proven to work. I say the education system needs to find a way to integrate a safe way to teach sensitive subjects. I feel a number of classes need to be added to schools.

Last edited:
I followed this thread But I didn't have to say anything until children were bought up.

Gay people should not be allowed to adopt. Simply because if being gay is natural, then it's also natural for gay people to not have children.

When a couple have a child/children, and then one (or both) of the parents finds out that they are gay or comes out as gay then the parents separate on good or bad terms regardless, that too is a different issue altogether, since you already had a biological child.

Last edited:
I followed this thread But I didn't have to say anything until children were bought up.

Gay people should not be allowed to adopt. Simply because if being gay is natural, then it's also natural for gay people to not have children. When a couple have a child/children, and then one (or both) of the parents finds out that they are gay or comes out as gay then the parents separate on good or bad terms regardless, that is a different issue altogether, since you already had a biological child.
Umm.....

I'm not entirely sure how to respond to this. Parenthood is something which everyone should be allowed to experience, and, let's be real, adoption centres aren't the nicest places to live. Why deprive a baby of a nice(r) life and deprive a couple of raising a child? It doesn't make a lot of sense really.

Gay people should not be allowed to adopt. Simply because if being gay is natural, then it's also natural for gay people to not have children.

When a couple have a child/children, and then one (or both) of the parents finds out that they are gay or comes out as gay then the parents separate on good or bad terms regardless, that too is a different issue altogether, since you already had a biological child.

This has to be a troll post but in the case its not, I'll respond to this.

Why should gays not be allowed to adopt? What evidence based of peer reviewed social and physiologic science do you have to back this claim? Gay's can't have children but why refuse them the option to adopt? There are videos of cats adopting baby birds, lion adopting gazelles, dogs adopting chickens, the list goes on. There are animals adopting their pray and we can't explain why this is.

Human on the other hand can do what we want because we have the ability to do so. We adopt because we can give them better lives then what they can get and if a gay couple can give them a better life, then let them adopt the child. The amount of ignorance in that post is just... impressive, so I cant even be mad.

Last edited:
Pick from the natural tree when you want, pick from the unnatural tree when you want, what ever suites bests.

Pick from the natural tree when you want, pick from the unnatural tree when you want, what ever suites bests.
Your argument doesn't make sense. It's like when people argue that vegetarianism is stupid because eating meat is natural but then go on to stuff a load of processed unnatural sh*t into their bodies. Nothing about this world is actually natural beyond core human instinct at this point, and sexual interactions is the bare essence of humanity. When it comes to that sort of thing the whole "natural" thing works. When talking about anything to do with actual infrastructure like an adoption agency, there is nothing natural about it.

Although parents looking after other parents' children is actually a fairly natural reflex. Ever hear about stray cats adopting baby kittens when their mothers have been run over, or even interspecies adoptions done entirely through instinct? If you actually do think that the whole "natural" argument holds weight, then you are arguing for gay adoption, not against it.

Yeah I was going to delete that comment just now, should've done it before I went down for tea but you already replied to it so I'm going to leave it.

Most of the views here are from the point of view from the gay parents, they can maybe give a better life. But you should look at it the other way from childs view. You would see other people with their mum and dad wouldn't you be thinking at all once about that am I wrong in saying that? Like previously also stated children can be subject to bullying as well no matter how they are treated at home. Like I said in the first post, I was just following this thread until children was bought up.

Don't think it is an attack on gay people. Even some issues with straight couple I hate as well when it comes to parenting or becoming parents. When I hear of 'future' parents freezing eggs so that the a woman can become pregnant later on, have issues with this as well.

Yeah I was going to delete that comment just now, should've done it before I went down for tea but you already replied to it so I'm going to leave it.

Most of the views here are from the point of view from the gay parents, they can maybe give a better life. But you should look at it the other way from childs view. You would see other people with their mum and dad wouldn't you be thinking at all once about that am I wrong in saying that? Like previously also stated children can be subject to bullying as well no matter how they are treated at home. Like I said in the first post, I was just following this thread until children was bought up.

Don't think it is an attack on gay people. Even some issues with straight couple I hate as well when it comes to parenting or becoming parents. When I hear of 'future' parents freezing eggs so that the a woman can become pregnant later on, have issues with this as well.
Not really. If your home life is having two mummies or two daddies then you won't care so much. Maybe there'll be one awkward conversation but it wouldn't be anything worse than "with them a mummy loves a daddy but with us a daddy loves a daddy" and that'd be that. Children are very open-minded at a young age f they are raised well.

Children can also be bullied for being in an adoption shelter. Children can be bullied about any "abnormal" factors in their lives, and sometimes for having no abnormal factors. "x can be used as a means of bullying a child" is a poor argument because x can be absolutely anything in the world, there are just so many other variables...

You seem to have a issue with human progress. I have never heard of a person having a problem with preserving the human species through scientific mean. How do you feel about artificial species control to make sure endangered animal species doesn't die off? Your argument for children holds no weight because no child had a choice in most of life and have their choices made for them. This is like saying you're against a white couple adopting a black child and the other way around.

If the would be parents can provide all the needed information requested and can prove the child is good in their care, then let them do it.

@HA559

This doesn't make sense. If you look at it statistically (because gay marriage is only so recent anyways) abuse towards kids are way more prevalent in straight couples than with gay couples. Also because two dads who get married can't make a kid doesn't mean they shouldn't, that makes no sense. My mom died when I was 8, and my dad raised me by himself. If a single dad can raise a child why can't two dads raise a child?

Seriously scratching my head right now. I mean, I believe gay marriage is wrong, and therefore don't believe that gay couples should be allowed to adopt, your reasoning is inherently flawed. There are a lot of good points in the responses above me, but I have to say: by your reasoning, heterosexual couples who for some reason are unable to have children should not be able to adopt. I mean, if they're naturally incapable, then you kind of have to lump them in with the gays in your argument. If you honestly believe that couples like that should be unable, then okay, your argument is sound in context to your view, but I doubt that's the case.

Seriously scratching my head right now. I mean, I believe gay marriage is wrong, and therefore don't believe that gay couples should be allowed to adopt, your reasoning is inherently flawed. There are a lot of good points in the responses above me, but I have to say: by your reasoning, heterosexual couples who for some reason are unable to have children should not be able to adopt. I mean, if they're naturally incapable, then you kind of have to lump them in with the gays in your argument. If you honestly believe that couples like that should be unable, then okay, your argument is sound in context to your view, but I doubt that's the case.

Okay, you're going to have to enable me for a second but why do you believe gay marriage is wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back