Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

1) Historically this is how always on effects that prevent play of an important category of cards has worked. As a long time player the one-sided locks seem odd.

2) Another card with a similar effect proved quite successful not too long ago; specifically during the HGSS-block (the one right before the BW sets began).

3) You build your own deck; you just run as few Items as you can to maximize your advantage.

4) You aren't committed to using a single, low damage attack.

So... yeah you come across as both condescending and as a bit of a wuss when you phrase your otherwise legitimate questions in such a manner. ;) Vileplume may indeed not prove worthwhile, but among the players really thinking of using it (not just using it to use it but putting some thought into it), we are already considering ways so make it into functionally a one-sided lock as well (thankfully requiring more effort than Seismitoad-EX).

sorry if i sound a bit condescending...just didn't understand the sudden huge hype for vileplume...

but what you are saying is people will try to build their decks around supporters only & not items?....i see that you can power up your megas before puting vileplume into play....but if your mega dies...then its instant lost cause you locked yourself & can't power up another mega...at least thats how i see it

i assume you are talking about vileplume with the poke body that locks trainer cards on both sides

sorry if i sound a bit condescending...just didn't understand the sudden huge hype for vileplume...

Apology accepted. :)

but what you are saying is people will try to build their decks around supporters only & not items?

Less Items, not no Items; a few dead cards versus an opponent with at least a dozen is still a powerful difference. Alternatively you build your deck in a manner that you can still use Items such as by promoting Wobbuffet (PHF) or using AZ to bounce your own Vileplume back into hand, only to Evolve into it again at the end of your turn.

i see that you can power up your megas before puting vileplume into play

Not usually; remember that XY: Ancient Origins will almost certainly include the English release of Giant Plant Forest, a new Stadium announced earlier (before Vileplume): said Stadium allows a Grass-Type Pokémon to Evolve the first turn it is in play including the first turn of the game. Thus you can face a T1 Vileplume if your opponent goes first and if they go second, they'll still try to lock things down T2. I mean overall turn counts, if I wasn't clear: the very first and second turns of the game. If you aren't running a Mega Evolution with a super shortcut (like Delta Evolution, access to Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick, etc.) then you still aren't likely to beat your opponent to Mega Evolving before Vileplume is in play - so potentially no Spirit Link card or Mega Turbo.

Oh wait, you meant "my" Mega? Contrary to the hyperbole, the format isn't just Mega versus Mega and even if it was... your opponent has to deal with it as well, only you can Mega Evolve instantly with Giant Plant Forest (still ends your turn, but that's better than what your opponent will usually be able to do).

then its instant lost cause you locked yourself & can't power up another mega...at least thats how i see it

1) Do you mean "auto-loss"? An instant loss would be losing instantly. You know, as in "Oh, this thing happens. Game over. Can't even pretend I still have a chance because the game has literally ended already." It isn't an autoloss either; as I explained even if the "regular" metagame is Mega versus Mega Evolution, we are creating an altered state.

2) You do remember that M Sceptile-EX is releasing? At least the goal of the deck (that which it is trying to do but may fail at) is going to be attacking while simultaneously powering up. That is the most likely attacker for this deck. So even if both players lose their Mega Evolutions, you send up a sacrifice while Mega Evolving your next Sceptile. If you build the deck correctly and it doesn't whiff, you won't even have to do that. Your opponent will - barring cards with their own non-Item based short cuts or capacity to shut of Abilities (enabling Items) will lose at leas as much time, possibly more if they didn't have the Basic Pokémon-EX already in play.

Glad you're trying to work things out, but remember to consider all the cards we have and are likely to have by this time, not just taking one single revealed card and shoving it into the current metagame.

i assume you are talking about vileplume with the poke body that locks trainer cards on both sides

That is only one of the cards I was referencing (the "recent example"). Effects that lock down both players equally are as old as one-sided, attack based effects

Aerodactyl-Fossil-1.jpg

Muk-Fossil-13.jpg

Psyduck-Fossil-53.jpg

with the first comparable Vileplume card being this one from the next (non-reprint) set
Dark-Vileplume-Team-Rocket-13.jpg

So... about 15 years worth of examples are there to be found.

I kept getting interrupted before I could finish, but finally:

As for Ampharos-EX and M Ampharos-EX, I think they have potential but aren't as good as some people are already trying to hype them up to be. Everything has possible solutions/counters, but decks only have so much room. Just running through the cards:

Type: Being a Lightning-Type means hitting some really popular, potent cards for double damage... but not if you're Ampharos-EX (more on that later).

HP: 170 is the low-end of "typical" HP scores for Pokémon-EX, so this card is a bit more fragile than it might look. 220 HP is in a similar boat for Mega Evolutions. Neither are the lowest HP scores for their Stage, of course.

Weakness: Fighting Weakness is currently one of the worst to have; even post rotation expect it to remain dangerous.

Resistance: Any Resistance is welcome, though Metal may or may not be any good post rotation (I only know that I don't know XD).

Retreat Cost: [CC] and [CCC] respectively; the former is not really good or bad but the latter is a potential problem. Your opponent still has access to Lysandre after all so a spare M Ampharos-EX could be forced up to break your own lock.

Attacks: Thunder Rod is decent; four cards isn't much especially with most decks running a lot of Special Energy. Even Flash Energy won't work since it won't count as [L] until after being attached. Plus if you're using it, Ampharos-EX is Active and so may not survive to make use of attached Energies. Sparking Tail seems a little overpriced - popular attackers often score 100 for three, even if it comes with a drawback. 100 for four with a benefit isn't out of the question, but whiffing on Weakness really hurts. These kind of attacks work better being less expensive, not more. I'd rather have to still apply Resistance if it meant you could apply Weakness.

Exavolt has potential but remember that if you're not going for the OHKO you're going for the 2HKO so... why not have the attack hit a little more softly for less Energy? Or the choice be between Paralysis or a harder hit? Perhaps it would have been "too good", but my point is that this is not too good. If it takes a OHKO the lock is broken. If your opponent runs the right cards, this lock is so soft it won't even trigger - anything that blocks Special Conditions stops it. Now scoring 170 damage is great though, even for four Energy. This isn't something to ignore, but it still might only be the next "We all use it until we grow bored with it." Mega Evolution.

i don't understand why in the world would people even think about playing vileplume when it item locks yourself too?

you can use items yourself...thats bad...not goood.....explain the thinking behind why even bother with vilueplume
Because then you can attack with other things, as opposed to have to keep Quaking Punch.

You could use AZ, it's not the best card to play in the world but it beats the alternative.
You could but then you are making them use their supporter for the turn and they can't play any Items anyways.

So the shiny EX reprints are obviously not counted into the total since they're presumably secret rares. Does this mean we might finally have a format to get that shiny M Gengar-EX in English? The next few boxes we already know about.

I will share my point of view:

1. Emboar EX and Togekiss EX, WON'T BE in "Bandit Ring" because they are in a japanese theme deck, but they HAVE TO BE in our "Ancient Origins" because Pokémon won't never do a English EX deck, even the EX says "If you plays that Pokémon you lose". It's not a crazy idea just see "Hyper Metal Chain Deck" "Mega Charizard Battle Deck"...

2. MegaAmpharos EX y sooooo heavy: 170 and Paralysis for "only" 4 Energy, yes ONLY because in your first turn you can do Ampharos EX attack and attach at least 1 Energy to it and then in your next turn Mega, MegaTurbo, Double Colorless. And with Vileplume, no Switch soooo Party Hard!. And about 30 damage itself: Rough Seas ;)

3. About Giratina EX, i believe that nobody think that its atwork would be like this. Because i think somebody believes that will be like HA covering its own Ability ^^'. It will be like this but like all the EXs, leaving a little, but not all Giratina xD. And its attack...ufff...Giratina/Vileplume will be a big headache.

Since when did they announce Emboar and Togekiss EX??!! If that is true I hope there in Ancient Orgins!!!!!!

Anyway can't wait for this set!!! EPICNESS!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone, please stop arguing. I have deleted a multitude of rude and/or spammy posts in this thread. If I see any more of it, I will be handing out more warnings.

Thank you.

I think Ampharos has stolen all the good art this time around! I hope its FAs are just as good!

One of the best artworks we've seen on a spirit link, but wouldn't it have made more sense to reveal it with M. Ampharos like they did with M. Tyranitar?

Back